Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

awaiting injection but whole arch hurts

Posted by Nigel B on 4/17/02 at 17:03 (080031)

I am due to have my PF injected for the first time after suffering for 2 yrs-the surgeon has said that if I can point to the pain it will have a much better chance of success-both heels are deeply tender over the medial aspect but also the medial arches hurt and sting-can the steroid help the whole arch or am I kidding myself??

Re: awaiting injection but whole arch hurts

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 05:37 (080091)

Hey Nigel:

2 years is a long time to be suffring. When we give injections in our office we either do them diagnostic ultrasound guided or fluoroecopically guided. This ensures that it is going to the inflammed area. Have you done stretching, orthotics, night splints, etc. My concern is that two years is a long time to be suffering. I would try the injection series, if no relief you must consider ESWT.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: Dr. C.question

Carmen on 4/18/02 at 07:59 (080113)

I have heard that Cortizone is most helpful when administered within the first few weeks of having PF. Is this not true? that if it is a chronic case (lasting months and being severe) that the shot can make the inflammation worse?
I have red a lot about these shots...a great deal of conflicting information. Can you clarify for me?
thanks!!

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 10:28 (080123)

I think that each case is individual. If the pain is that severe an injection may break the pain cycle. The answer is not carved in stone. I think that if a patient has had repeative injections that is not a good answer.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carmen on 4/18/02 at 11:44 (080137)

I see...thanks for the reply!
C

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 15:31 (080167)

Hey no problem

Dr. John Cozzarelli

nigel B on 4/18/02 at 16:02 (080178)

Dear Dr Cozzarelli

Many thanks for your reply-now my wife believes 2 yrs is indeed a long time!

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 05:37 (080091)

Hey Nigel:

2 years is a long time to be suffring. When we give injections in our office we either do them diagnostic ultrasound guided or fluoroecopically guided. This ensures that it is going to the inflammed area. Have you done stretching, orthotics, night splints, etc. My concern is that two years is a long time to be suffering. I would try the injection series, if no relief you must consider ESWT.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carmen on 4/18/02 at 07:59 (080113)

I have heard that Cortizone is most helpful when administered within the first few weeks of having PF. Is this not true? that if it is a chronic case (lasting months and being severe) that the shot can make the inflammation worse?
I have red a lot about these shots...a great deal of conflicting information. Can you clarify for me?
thanks!!

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 10:28 (080123)

I think that each case is individual. If the pain is that severe an injection may break the pain cycle. The answer is not carved in stone. I think that if a patient has had repeative injections that is not a good answer.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carmen on 4/18/02 at 11:44 (080137)

I see...thanks for the reply!
C

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 15:31 (080167)

Hey no problem

Dr. John Cozzarelli

nigel B on 4/18/02 at 16:02 (080178)

Dear Dr Cozzarelli

Many thanks for your reply-now my wife believes 2 yrs is indeed a long time!