Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tenosynovitis of flexor tendon

Posted by Cindy S. on 4/17/02 at 22:54 (080070)

I've been diagnosed with tenosynovitis of the flexor tendon on the bottom of my 2nd toe on my left foot. The injury occured over 2 months ago. I've tried the following without any positive results: cortisone shot into the tendon; shoe orthotics; surgical boot; anti-inflammatories; rest; ice; and 3 different devices to cushion the toes. Any other suggestions?

Re: Tenosynovitis of flexor tendon

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 05:30 (080088)

YES, I have suggestions! Was an X-RAY taken? Could be a stress fracture. I would also suggest having the soft tissue imaged via diagnostic ultrasound or MRI to get a deffinative diagnosis. Keep me up to date.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Cindy S. on 4/21/02 at 15:13 (080579)

Yes, x-rays have been taken - no stress fracture. The MRI is what diagnosed the tenosynovitis. Any ideas why it's not healing? I'm 35 years old and in good health. Any ideas for treatment? Thanks.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/21/02 at 18:34 (080591)

Cindy:

I would consider a tow week period of immobilization with anti-inflammatories and see if that helps. It sounds like you are re-injurying yourself. Could be from thin soled shoes?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 05:30 (080088)

YES, I have suggestions! Was an X-RAY taken? Could be a stress fracture. I would also suggest having the soft tissue imaged via diagnostic ultrasound or MRI to get a deffinative diagnosis. Keep me up to date.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Cindy S. on 4/21/02 at 15:13 (080579)

Yes, x-rays have been taken - no stress fracture. The MRI is what diagnosed the tenosynovitis. Any ideas why it's not healing? I'm 35 years old and in good health. Any ideas for treatment? Thanks.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/21/02 at 18:34 (080591)

Cindy:

I would consider a tow week period of immobilization with anti-inflammatories and see if that helps. It sounds like you are re-injurying yourself. Could be from thin soled shoes?

Dr. John Cozzarelli