Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ossatron

Posted by kay on 4/18/02 at 13:24 (080152)

What will it accomplish? HealthTronics studied 302 people with chronic heel pain who had tried conventional treatments unsuccessfully in the previous six months. Half were treated with the OssaTron; half received a sham treatment. 62% of the patients treated with the OssaTron reported some improvement in their heel pain; 48% of those treated with the sham said they experienced some improvement in pain.
so it doesn't sound like it works any better than surgery.

kat:(

Re: ossatron

BrianG on 4/18/02 at 17:01 (080188)

Hi Kay,

I bet you didn't read anything about people being harmed by the OssaTron, did you? Almost every week, we have people come to this message board with severe pain from failed surgeries. That fact in itself is good enough for me! I believe the FDA studies showed some different numbers, with more healing occuring.

BrianG

Mike D on 4/18/02 at 22:41 (080232)

Kay, could you include the literature reference that discusses this study? I am interested in reading the entire article. If it exists on the Web, then the WEb address would be OK.

thanks

Mike D

kay on 4/19/02 at 00:29 (080239)

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf/p990086.html
that is the site i found it at. i tried to get back there tonight to see if it said much else but i couldn't get in. it may be down for work or something.
i wouldn't mind trying it to see if the ossatron did work but insurance won't cover it. i don't have a spare 1000 or two laying around to gamble on it. i don't understand why insurance won't pay. does anyone know?
kay

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/19/02 at 18:48 (080369)

It can take a long time for insurance companies to pay for 'new' modalities and treatments.

Keep in mind that there are few 'stand alone' treatments for plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is generally cured by a combination of treatments. This message board is filled with individuals looking for the 'one' type of treatment that will cure them. A number of treatments that provide minimal help when used alone are very succesful when combined appropriately. ESWT provides a means to induce tissue remodeling (breakdown and reformation) of diseased tissue such as the plantar fascia.
If there are biomechanical problems that are not addressed which lead to chronic excess tension on the plantar fascia, then ESWT may not, by itself, lead to a long term cure.
Ed

John h on 4/19/02 at 20:11 (080383)

Kay: as you know the world of statistics can be very misleading depending on how you analysize them. your stats are on accurate however those people who received the sham treament and experienced the placebo effect is common with nearly all device and medication testing. The placebo effect is always there but that is not to say that the 62% who reported improvement were not improved by ESWT nor will the FDA speculate what percentage of those who claimed improvement might be because of the 'placebo' effect. The only thing you can say with some degree of certainity is that ESWT did in fact help 'some people'. Of the thousands of people who have had ESWT and the many studies it appears that somewhere around 70-85% of those receiving ESWT showed improvement and that improvement is defined as at least a 50% reduction in pain. The U.S. FDA trials were really very small compared to the numbers conducted in Europe and Canada. I think Bayshore probably has conducted a much larger sample than the FDA trials. The more I learn about the FDA and their methods the more wary I become however I in no way dispute their findings. The positive thing about ESWT is it is non-invasive and with few side effects. Having had surgery and ESWT I would advise anyone to try ESWT first even if they have to borrow the money. Surgery can not be undone and some of its side effects never go away.

John h on 4/19/02 at 20:15 (080384)

Mike: you can go to http://www.fda.gov and do a search on ossatron and find the info Kay references. you also need to clearly understand statistical methods when analyizing this info and you should look at some of the German studies. Bayshore I think may have some statistical info on thier website.

John h on 4/19/02 at 20:16 (080385)

The same old reason as always Kay and that is MONEY! Even when MRI's first came out not all insurance companies would pay for one.

BrianG on 4/22/02 at 22:08 (080758)

Hi Kay,

As time goes on, I'm sure more insurance companies will pay for the ESWT treatments. If I was in your shoes, and didn't want the surgery, I'd ask my doctor to put me on pain management for the next year or so. When the time comes, the doctor can slowly taper you off the pain meds, and you can have the ESWT. Just something to thnk about, if you can't stand the pain anymore. Good luck

BrianG

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/02 at 22:36 (080759)

What you need to study is the one year follow up. I just saw a summary for the dornier. It is amazing !!!. Will talk about it after I read the entire study. Will provide to anyone after I get it . I hope Scott will print this article. If it is true, it shows in my opinion that the results are so superior to foot surgery that having foot surgery is a crime. Will report asap. The reason i am not reporting the results, is that they are too good so I must read the entire article first.

BrianG on 4/18/02 at 17:01 (080188)

Hi Kay,

I bet you didn't read anything about people being harmed by the OssaTron, did you? Almost every week, we have people come to this message board with severe pain from failed surgeries. That fact in itself is good enough for me! I believe the FDA studies showed some different numbers, with more healing occuring.

BrianG

Mike D on 4/18/02 at 22:41 (080232)

Kay, could you include the literature reference that discusses this study? I am interested in reading the entire article. If it exists on the Web, then the WEb address would be OK.

thanks

Mike D

kay on 4/19/02 at 00:29 (080239)

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf/p990086.html
that is the site i found it at. i tried to get back there tonight to see if it said much else but i couldn't get in. it may be down for work or something.
i wouldn't mind trying it to see if the ossatron did work but insurance won't cover it. i don't have a spare 1000 or two laying around to gamble on it. i don't understand why insurance won't pay. does anyone know?
kay

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/19/02 at 18:48 (080369)

It can take a long time for insurance companies to pay for 'new' modalities and treatments.

Keep in mind that there are few 'stand alone' treatments for plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is generally cured by a combination of treatments. This message board is filled with individuals looking for the 'one' type of treatment that will cure them. A number of treatments that provide minimal help when used alone are very succesful when combined appropriately. ESWT provides a means to induce tissue remodeling (breakdown and reformation) of diseased tissue such as the plantar fascia.
If there are biomechanical problems that are not addressed which lead to chronic excess tension on the plantar fascia, then ESWT may not, by itself, lead to a long term cure.
Ed

John h on 4/19/02 at 20:11 (080383)

Kay: as you know the world of statistics can be very misleading depending on how you analysize them. your stats are on accurate however those people who received the sham treament and experienced the placebo effect is common with nearly all device and medication testing. The placebo effect is always there but that is not to say that the 62% who reported improvement were not improved by ESWT nor will the FDA speculate what percentage of those who claimed improvement might be because of the 'placebo' effect. The only thing you can say with some degree of certainity is that ESWT did in fact help 'some people'. Of the thousands of people who have had ESWT and the many studies it appears that somewhere around 70-85% of those receiving ESWT showed improvement and that improvement is defined as at least a 50% reduction in pain. The U.S. FDA trials were really very small compared to the numbers conducted in Europe and Canada. I think Bayshore probably has conducted a much larger sample than the FDA trials. The more I learn about the FDA and their methods the more wary I become however I in no way dispute their findings. The positive thing about ESWT is it is non-invasive and with few side effects. Having had surgery and ESWT I would advise anyone to try ESWT first even if they have to borrow the money. Surgery can not be undone and some of its side effects never go away.

John h on 4/19/02 at 20:15 (080384)

Mike: you can go to http://www.fda.gov and do a search on ossatron and find the info Kay references. you also need to clearly understand statistical methods when analyizing this info and you should look at some of the German studies. Bayshore I think may have some statistical info on thier website.

John h on 4/19/02 at 20:16 (080385)

The same old reason as always Kay and that is MONEY! Even when MRI's first came out not all insurance companies would pay for one.

BrianG on 4/22/02 at 22:08 (080758)

Hi Kay,

As time goes on, I'm sure more insurance companies will pay for the ESWT treatments. If I was in your shoes, and didn't want the surgery, I'd ask my doctor to put me on pain management for the next year or so. When the time comes, the doctor can slowly taper you off the pain meds, and you can have the ESWT. Just something to thnk about, if you can't stand the pain anymore. Good luck

BrianG

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/02 at 22:36 (080759)

What you need to study is the one year follow up. I just saw a summary for the dornier. It is amazing !!!. Will talk about it after I read the entire study. Will provide to anyone after I get it . I hope Scott will print this article. If it is true, it shows in my opinion that the results are so superior to foot surgery that having foot surgery is a crime. Will report asap. The reason i am not reporting the results, is that they are too good so I must read the entire article first.