Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

normal emg and sore feet

Posted by Daniel C. on 4/18/02 at 13:44 (080154)

The docs thought that I had plantar fasciitis. But, because physical therapy didn't help, I went for an emg. It turned out normal. I still have pain in both feet. What kind of a physician should I see next?

Thank you.

Re: normal emg and sore feet

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/18/02 at 15:16 (080163)

Physical therapy, alone, may not cure plantar fasciitis. See a podiatric physician.
Ed

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 15:30 (080166)

I agree with the Doc and would also suggest finding a pod that does diagnostic ultrasound imaging of the plantar fascia. If is less expensive than and MRI and is a dynamic test as opposed to static. The results are instantaneous for the patient. I hope this helps you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/18/02 at 19:03 (080206)

I agree with the previous postings and would also like to tell you that a normal EMG/NCV does not mean that there isn't still an entrapment neuropathy of the nerve. Many times a nerve conduction study will not show abnormal findings until the nerve begins to actually degenerate. This is usually after the problem has existed for a prolonged time.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 20:29 (080221)

Hey:
You may also want to consider having a neurometer Current Preciptive Threshold test done. This measure the 'C' fiber on three different frequencies. This is a differnet type of nerve test. the patient describes when they first feel an electrical impulse. The data is plugged into the computer and report is generated.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Daniel C. on 4/18/02 at 23:30 (080236)

Thank you all for your help! I will inquire about everything mentioned here. Is the neurometer threshold test expensive? Does insurance usually cover it?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/19/02 at 11:57 (080308)

No it is not expensive. In our office we ahrge about one hundred dollars for the non invasive test.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/18/02 at 15:16 (080163)

Physical therapy, alone, may not cure plantar fasciitis. See a podiatric physician.
Ed

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 15:30 (080166)

I agree with the Doc and would also suggest finding a pod that does diagnostic ultrasound imaging of the plantar fascia. If is less expensive than and MRI and is a dynamic test as opposed to static. The results are instantaneous for the patient. I hope this helps you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/18/02 at 19:03 (080206)

I agree with the previous postings and would also like to tell you that a normal EMG/NCV does not mean that there isn't still an entrapment neuropathy of the nerve. Many times a nerve conduction study will not show abnormal findings until the nerve begins to actually degenerate. This is usually after the problem has existed for a prolonged time.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 20:29 (080221)

Hey:
You may also want to consider having a neurometer Current Preciptive Threshold test done. This measure the 'C' fiber on three different frequencies. This is a differnet type of nerve test. the patient describes when they first feel an electrical impulse. The data is plugged into the computer and report is generated.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Daniel C. on 4/18/02 at 23:30 (080236)

Thank you all for your help! I will inquire about everything mentioned here. Is the neurometer threshold test expensive? Does insurance usually cover it?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/19/02 at 11:57 (080308)

No it is not expensive. In our office we ahrge about one hundred dollars for the non invasive test.

Dr. John Cozzarelli