Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel

Posted by nancy on 4/18/02 at 15:58 (080176)

I want to know if others have gained weight because of lack of walking and what has worked.

Re: tarsal tunnel

Carole C in NOLA on 4/18/02 at 16:28 (080183)

I don't have tarsal tunnel, but I was the 'Queen of Rest' with my PF because the more I rested, the less I hurt.

When I got PF, I had been on Weight Watchers for quite a while and was doing pretty well. With PF, I continued going to Weight Watchers but just maintained.

I think that if I hadn't attended Weight Watchers, I would have gained a lot of it back because I was just sitting and doing nothing, trying to heal my PF. So, for me Weight Watchers has worked. I really had to work at it, though.

One thing that I enjoy on Weight Watchers was the Subway low fat sandwiches. Or, eating at home I enjoy chicken breast and vegetable stir-fry, Lean Cuisine, steamed shrimp, fat free yogurt, or even small steaks and veggies. Personally I feel I'm a 'sugar addict' (psychologically if not physically) so I try not to eat refined sugar. The neat thing about Weight Watchers is that you can have anything you like to eat, just not unlimited quantities of the more fattening foods.

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/18/02 at 17:12 (080190)

Nancy,

The short answer is: YES!!

I have tarsal tunnel syndrom and plantar facaetis and I seem to have little CHOICE but to stay off my feet -- if I don't, it's very painful. All this forced inactivity makes me bummed-out and BORED, and when I'm bored, I eat. I don't know how Carole finds the strength of will to resist that (altough I certainly admire her for it). The urge to eat when you're bored sounds rediculous but it can be SUCH a powerful force -- especially if your TTS problem is being treated with steroid injections, which cause weight gain as one of their side effects!

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/18/02 at 17:49 (080195)

Well I couldn't have done it without Weight Watchers. Thanks for the compliments, by the way! Weight Watchers is nice because you know you are going to have to weigh next week, and that helps to motivate me. It gets me into a 'one week at a time' mode.

The thing that really got to me was the depression that comes with PF. I would get depressed, and cry, and my blood sugar would plummet so I'd eat. Luckily I live alone so I could keep the 'red light foods' out of my apartment; no cookies, pizza, etc. What was hardest for me was the fact that I couldn't really grocery shop, so my cupboards got REALLY bare. It's hard to keep a good stock of fresh fruits and veggies in when you can't shop.

That's why I turned to Subway a lot. We have a drive through one here. Also, I ate the grilled chicken sandwich and chili at Wendy's, with unsweetened iced tea. That's drive through too.

When I felt like I could go shopping, I'd stock up on frozen chicken breasts (Tyson has them cubed, 'Time Trimmers', for stir fry etc), and lots of frozen veggies and get a couple of dozen Lean Cuisines and some egg beaters and non-fat yogurt.

I think many of us have to consider maintaining our weight as a challenge rather than as something we can take for granted, when we have PF.

I am starting to lose again now that I'm able to move around. Yay! :)

Carole C

Re: Lean stuff

Sharon W on 4/18/02 at 18:00 (080198)

Carole,

We eat lots of Subway; it's good, healthy food -- and besides, my daughter works there! :)

Maybe I will give Weight Watchers a try.

-- Sharon

Rich on 4/18/02 at 20:10 (080218)

Isn't it amazing how expensive it is to eat healthy? I'm not on W.W. but we are eating lots of salad, baked chicken and fish, and sweet potatoes...no sugar added.

I was on a medrol pack and I swear I gained ten pounds in one week. Battling to take that off right now, plus more once I can start excersing again.

Carole has me motivated to purchase a recumbant bike and as soon as our pool warms up, it's water aerobics for me. Just hope I can climb out! LOL

Wendy's has a really good caeser salad too!

Rich

wendyn on 4/18/02 at 21:05 (080224)

Rich - don't forget that sometimes the 'unhealthy food' is just as expensiive...burgers, fries, snack, chips.

wendyn on 4/18/02 at 21:13 (080226)

When it comes to weignt and Tarsal Tunnel...

When I developed TTS I had been working out about 6 days a week (mostly aerobics and stairmaster). When I had to stop activity I noticed a big drop in my apppetite. Thankfully - I noticed it, and I didn't continue to eat like I had been when I was really active.

Keep in mind that most people with foot problems can still do weight training (esp upper body, chest, back). Building the extra muscle mass will actually help you burn more calories at rest - and may also give a much needed emotional boost too (often the pay back can be visable pretty quick compared to aerobic work outs).

Re: Carole

wendyn on 4/18/02 at 21:14 (080227)

I know so many people who have done SO WELL on Weight Watchers - keep up the great effort!

Re: Nancy

Carmen on 4/19/02 at 07:53 (080255)

Everyone gives great advice....I haven't gained any weight (in fact have lost it due to loss of muscle) but the main thing is to balance yourself. This has helped me....Also to be concious of what is happening to my body. I also do a lot of house work...scrub my floors and tubs on my knees....
Don't starve yourself....there are a lot of myths about weight loss and you just basically need to be smart...don't over do your portions (I am guilty of that at times!), keep your fat intake to a minimum, don't overload on carbs (but don't STOP eating them altogether...big mistake), try to steet clear of the 'condiments' which contain sugar and calories galore, get your dressing on the side when you eat out (even if you eat it all out of the ramekin it's not half as much as they would have put on there for you), get your food cooked DRY when you go out...tell them NO butter! That will shave a ton of calories off your meal...and one very important thing...eat throughout the day. This will keep your metabolism moving. But not huge meals....don't use it as an excuse to eat....Eat a good breakfast to rev up the metabolism for the day.....(protein & carbs), small snack midmorning (fat free yogurt, handful of pretzels something like that), eat a small lunch...snack mid afternoon (apple, fat free fruit pop etc) and eat a decent supper.
I am not a doctor but have learned a lot about weight control....so if you just want to maintain your weight or lose a few extra pounds this may help. Also Wendy is right....weight training...very smart.

Re: food to lose weight on!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 13:32 (080317)

Thanks for the tip! I love Wendy's but I've never tried their Caesar salad.

Right now I am eating the most wonderful and convenient Weight Watchers friendly lunch that is only 7 points out of the 28-33 I'm allowed. I have a sandwich (3 points) made with two slices of 100% whole wheat Natures own bread, 3 slices of Butterball fat free turkey breast, 1 slice of Kraft 2% Swiss cheese singles, a tablespoon of Kraft free mayonnaise, and a big handful of pre-mix salad greens. I also have a banana (2 points), and an eight ounce container of the Winn-Dixie store brand of non-fat yogurt ('Banana cream pie' flavor, 2 points). And, I have a 1 liter diet mellow peach sparkling water by Clearly Prestige, 0 points. All of that for only 7 points! This is the life. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 13:58 (080321)

I have found that I usually spend less on groceries over all when I'm eating healthy food, expecially if it's plain food rather than processed. That could just be me, though. I eat more plain food when I'm losing weight and mor processed foods when I'm fatter and gaining. But even now that I'm eating healthy food, if I include a lot of processed foods, diet sodas, and other 'diet foods' that drives the food bill way up. I'm thinking of the $4 I just spent on a box of 6 'Fi-bar' bars from the diet section at my grocery store today. Not a cost effective choice although they are a nice treat for only 1 Weight Watcher point each.

It definitely costs less for me to eat healthy food when I eat out; a grilled chicken salad or a steamed shrimp plate is a lot less than a jumbo fried seafood platter plus appetizers at the restaurants I frequent.

Another way to look at it is to include the cost of the health risks of obesity in your food bill, and I feel that dressing in reasonable clothing is more expensive when I wear 'plus sizes' or beyond, than it is when I wear a size 12 that you can get anywhere. Of course, if one's weight is changing (either up or down) there is some clothing expense.

Basically, fooey on the expense! I think that I am worth it and I choose to cut corners elsewhere because they don't use the term 'morbidly obese' for nothing.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 14:10 (080323)

Thanks! For me it is the only way that I can think of to safely lose weight. I have so much to lose, that nutrition is important and to me good nutrition while losing weight means Weight Watchers.

Weight Watchers doesn't *require* one to eat sugar, so I am able to simultaneously follow some of the ideas in Sugar Busters (though WW takes precendence for me). I find that I'm a lot more comfortable losing weight if I have avoided refined sugar as much as possible for at least a couple of months straight. I also find that I don't seem to want sugar substitutes as much if I'm not 'hooked on sugar'. When I want something sweet, I eat a banana or some blueberries and that's enough sweets for the day.

Well, you got me going so now I may never stop talking about Weight Watchers. LOL I'm kind of a Weight Watchers fanatic because it has worked for me and it has improved my health, but I will try not to preach it at everybody. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 14:16 (080325)

Carmen, those are all such good principles to follow! You really know what you are talking about when it comes to healthy eating for weight control, in my opinion.

I don't know much about exercise and weights, but now that you and Wendy are talking about it maybe I should get some weights the next time I'm at Sports Authority.

Carole C

Re: weight training

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 14:23 (080326)

Hey Wendy, could you explain about weight training for those of us that are kind of ignorant about it? How would you advise someone to start it, at the very beginning? Do you know of any good websites that describe routines to do with them? or maybe they come with descriptions of what to do.

I am thinking of buying some and starting to do that.

Carole C

Rich on 4/19/02 at 16:12 (080347)

Our Albertson's has their brand of low-fat yogurt on sale 12 for $4. The fruit on the bottom kind.

I abhor fat free mayonnaise! I love those bags of pre-mixed salads! Actually, I like anything quick and easy to prepare!!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 16:28 (080351)

I like the non-fat yogurt rather than the low-fat, because it's fewer points on Weight Watchers and I can't really tell the difference. But, it doesn't have the fruit on the bottom. If I had had any sense at all, I would have cut up some of that banana that I had for lunch and put it in my 'banana cream pie' flavored yogurt! DUH! Oh well, next time I will do that. I still have more of each.

Fat free mayonnaise is not one of life's greater joys, it's true. You might be able to persuade me to go to low-fat for that. It wouldn't take much to convince me. LOL

I used to get the non-fat cheese singles too, but I decided they are abominable and abysmal and I missed reasonably good tasting cheese. So now, I get the 2% ones instead and just eat less of something else.

I am all for things that are quick and easy to prepare, too, because there is only one of me. It seems dumb to spend longer cooking a meal than eating it. The pre-mixed salad is great for a single person! :)

Carole C

Re: Carole C

wendyn on 4/19/02 at 17:14 (080352)

I would highly recommend one or two sessions with a trainer. If that's too expensive, try a beginners weight training class at a local Y or community centre. OR - book a training session with a friend and split the cost. Stay away from the really fancy gyms if you find them intimidating. And stay away from things like squats and bench press if you're having the feet and leg problems.

The advantage to the session with a trainer is that they can personalize it just for you based on your restrictions and what you want to achieve. They will also make sure that you are doing the exercises properly.

I picked up a 'Weight training for dummies' book for home. It's a great book - but again, personal instruction is always best. I would have never had the guts to try it on my own, I really needed someone to sit with me and say 'do this - then do that - do it this way'.

The pay back is great - big increase in strength - and better muscle tone. Almost makes up for all the things I've had to give up!!!!!!!

wendyn on 4/19/02 at 17:19 (080353)

I think my sister-in-law has lost (and maintained) about 80 lbs now. It's the one program that people really seem to be able to lose weight and keep it off. I think it's because it's a whole lifestyle thing rather than a quick fix.

A very overweight co worker was in the store with me this morning. He pointed to a new chocolate bar and told me I should try it and let him know if it was good. I asked why I should try it - he said 'Well you're skinny - you can eat that stuff'. I smiled and said 'No, I'm skinny cause I don't eat that stuff'.

I feel bad that some people think I can eat anything I want and then stay thin - I couldn't get away with it either.

Re: The cost

wendyn on 4/19/02 at 17:21 (080354)

Compare the cost:

Bowl of oatmeal and OJ vs eggs and bacon and coffee?
Salad and soup vs burger and fries
Chicken and rice vs steak and potatoes
veggies and dip vs bag of cheezies....

usually the healthy stuff really is cheaper

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 20:30 (080387)

Thanks, Wendy. I will probably look at that 'Weight training for Dummies' book to start with. For some reason I am more likely to do this on my own rather than in a group situation. Partly that is because I'm not a group type of person, but partly it's because I am afraid of injury due to being so out of shape. I know that I can approach it as gradually as I want if I'm doing it myself. I'd be utterly thrilled if I got a big increase in strength and better muscle tone. Even a teensy increase in strength would be super. :)

Carole C

wendyn on 4/19/02 at 20:46 (080392)

Carole, if you call some of the community centres or YMCA's - you may find that they have a tailor made class for folks who are 'out of shape'. You may also be able to get an appointment with a trainer who will come out to your house...ask for one who is compatible with your personality and physical condition (you don't want someone who will push you, you want support).

Let me know how you do!!!!!!!

Carmen on 4/19/02 at 21:14 (080401)

Yes Yes YEs! Working out with weights will definitely burn those calories...BUT be careful and educated about HOW you work out. Let me know if you get weights and I will send you guidelines in the mail or via email to make sure you don't get hurt.
Seriously it can hurt you if you aren't careful.
Try this...next time you have to pick up something heavy...contract your abs...hold them tight and this will support your back. Next day...I guarantee if you did this..your back will not suffer...you have to be careful about the amount you pick though of course!
;-)

John h on 4/20/02 at 20:09 (080503)

I will give you a sure fire weight loss program Carole and it is called 'gastroentritis' from which i just recovered. I spent a large part of my life in 3rd world countries, cheap bars, and eating any and everything and never encountered this good weight loss program but somewhere in the magic kingdom of Little Rock it found me. I did not eat for a week.

John h on 4/20/02 at 20:11 (080504)

Carole: concerning weight training try hoisting one Corona in each hand for what ever number of reps it takes to empty them.

John h on 4/20/02 at 20:14 (080505)

Wemdy: I like that trainer idea also. We have a great one named Debbie at our club!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 23:54 (080528)

John, I'm so sorry you had gastoenteritis! That is a miserable illness that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Now that you are over it, I hope you are making up for lost time and eating some good food.

I went on a date tonight with someone new who took me to a seafood place. I ordered the broiled shrimp, a very modest and healthy choice. He is overly thin and so he got the gargantuan 'fried seafood platter'. Overly thin people and people who just got over gastroenteritis can get away with ordering that, you know.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 23:58 (080529)

John: that would really get me into shape since I don't drink much.

Carole C

wendyn on 4/21/02 at 10:23 (080553)

John - you want a trainer around for totally different reasons. I know you.

wendyn on 4/21/02 at 10:24 (080554)

JOHN - What happened to the Molson's????????????

John h on 4/21/02 at 13:00 (080567)

You have a good memory Wendy. Molson won the Consumer Report beer taste contest some years ago. I do enjoy a Molson as much as any beer.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/18/02 at 16:28 (080183)

I don't have tarsal tunnel, but I was the 'Queen of Rest' with my PF because the more I rested, the less I hurt.

When I got PF, I had been on Weight Watchers for quite a while and was doing pretty well. With PF, I continued going to Weight Watchers but just maintained.

I think that if I hadn't attended Weight Watchers, I would have gained a lot of it back because I was just sitting and doing nothing, trying to heal my PF. So, for me Weight Watchers has worked. I really had to work at it, though.

One thing that I enjoy on Weight Watchers was the Subway low fat sandwiches. Or, eating at home I enjoy chicken breast and vegetable stir-fry, Lean Cuisine, steamed shrimp, fat free yogurt, or even small steaks and veggies. Personally I feel I'm a 'sugar addict' (psychologically if not physically) so I try not to eat refined sugar. The neat thing about Weight Watchers is that you can have anything you like to eat, just not unlimited quantities of the more fattening foods.

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/18/02 at 17:12 (080190)

Nancy,

The short answer is: YES!!

I have tarsal tunnel syndrom and plantar facaetis and I seem to have little CHOICE but to stay off my feet -- if I don't, it's very painful. All this forced inactivity makes me bummed-out and BORED, and when I'm bored, I eat. I don't know how Carole finds the strength of will to resist that (altough I certainly admire her for it). The urge to eat when you're bored sounds rediculous but it can be SUCH a powerful force -- especially if your TTS problem is being treated with steroid injections, which cause weight gain as one of their side effects!

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/18/02 at 17:49 (080195)

Well I couldn't have done it without Weight Watchers. Thanks for the compliments, by the way! Weight Watchers is nice because you know you are going to have to weigh next week, and that helps to motivate me. It gets me into a 'one week at a time' mode.

The thing that really got to me was the depression that comes with PF. I would get depressed, and cry, and my blood sugar would plummet so I'd eat. Luckily I live alone so I could keep the 'red light foods' out of my apartment; no cookies, pizza, etc. What was hardest for me was the fact that I couldn't really grocery shop, so my cupboards got REALLY bare. It's hard to keep a good stock of fresh fruits and veggies in when you can't shop.

That's why I turned to Subway a lot. We have a drive through one here. Also, I ate the grilled chicken sandwich and chili at Wendy's, with unsweetened iced tea. That's drive through too.

When I felt like I could go shopping, I'd stock up on frozen chicken breasts (Tyson has them cubed, 'Time Trimmers', for stir fry etc), and lots of frozen veggies and get a couple of dozen Lean Cuisines and some egg beaters and non-fat yogurt.

I think many of us have to consider maintaining our weight as a challenge rather than as something we can take for granted, when we have PF.

I am starting to lose again now that I'm able to move around. Yay! :)

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/18/02 at 18:00 (080198)

Carole,

We eat lots of Subway; it's good, healthy food -- and besides, my daughter works there! :)

Maybe I will give Weight Watchers a try.

-- Sharon

Rich on 4/18/02 at 20:10 (080218)

Isn't it amazing how expensive it is to eat healthy? I'm not on W.W. but we are eating lots of salad, baked chicken and fish, and sweet potatoes...no sugar added.

I was on a medrol pack and I swear I gained ten pounds in one week. Battling to take that off right now, plus more once I can start excersing again.

Carole has me motivated to purchase a recumbant bike and as soon as our pool warms up, it's water aerobics for me. Just hope I can climb out! LOL

Wendy's has a really good caeser salad too!

Rich

wendyn on 4/18/02 at 21:05 (080224)

Rich - don't forget that sometimes the 'unhealthy food' is just as expensiive...burgers, fries, snack, chips.

wendyn on 4/18/02 at 21:13 (080226)

When it comes to weignt and Tarsal Tunnel...

When I developed TTS I had been working out about 6 days a week (mostly aerobics and stairmaster). When I had to stop activity I noticed a big drop in my apppetite. Thankfully - I noticed it, and I didn't continue to eat like I had been when I was really active.

Keep in mind that most people with foot problems can still do weight training (esp upper body, chest, back). Building the extra muscle mass will actually help you burn more calories at rest - and may also give a much needed emotional boost too (often the pay back can be visable pretty quick compared to aerobic work outs).

wendyn on 4/18/02 at 21:14 (080227)

I know so many people who have done SO WELL on Weight Watchers - keep up the great effort!

Carmen on 4/19/02 at 07:53 (080255)

Everyone gives great advice....I haven't gained any weight (in fact have lost it due to loss of muscle) but the main thing is to balance yourself. This has helped me....Also to be concious of what is happening to my body. I also do a lot of house work...scrub my floors and tubs on my knees....
Don't starve yourself....there are a lot of myths about weight loss and you just basically need to be smart...don't over do your portions (I am guilty of that at times!), keep your fat intake to a minimum, don't overload on carbs (but don't STOP eating them altogether...big mistake), try to steet clear of the 'condiments' which contain sugar and calories galore, get your dressing on the side when you eat out (even if you eat it all out of the ramekin it's not half as much as they would have put on there for you), get your food cooked DRY when you go out...tell them NO butter! That will shave a ton of calories off your meal...and one very important thing...eat throughout the day. This will keep your metabolism moving. But not huge meals....don't use it as an excuse to eat....Eat a good breakfast to rev up the metabolism for the day.....(protein & carbs), small snack midmorning (fat free yogurt, handful of pretzels something like that), eat a small lunch...snack mid afternoon (apple, fat free fruit pop etc) and eat a decent supper.
I am not a doctor but have learned a lot about weight control....so if you just want to maintain your weight or lose a few extra pounds this may help. Also Wendy is right....weight training...very smart.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 13:32 (080317)

Thanks for the tip! I love Wendy's but I've never tried their Caesar salad.

Right now I am eating the most wonderful and convenient Weight Watchers friendly lunch that is only 7 points out of the 28-33 I'm allowed. I have a sandwich (3 points) made with two slices of 100% whole wheat Natures own bread, 3 slices of Butterball fat free turkey breast, 1 slice of Kraft 2% Swiss cheese singles, a tablespoon of Kraft free mayonnaise, and a big handful of pre-mix salad greens. I also have a banana (2 points), and an eight ounce container of the Winn-Dixie store brand of non-fat yogurt ('Banana cream pie' flavor, 2 points). And, I have a 1 liter diet mellow peach sparkling water by Clearly Prestige, 0 points. All of that for only 7 points! This is the life. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 13:58 (080321)

I have found that I usually spend less on groceries over all when I'm eating healthy food, expecially if it's plain food rather than processed. That could just be me, though. I eat more plain food when I'm losing weight and mor processed foods when I'm fatter and gaining. But even now that I'm eating healthy food, if I include a lot of processed foods, diet sodas, and other 'diet foods' that drives the food bill way up. I'm thinking of the $4 I just spent on a box of 6 'Fi-bar' bars from the diet section at my grocery store today. Not a cost effective choice although they are a nice treat for only 1 Weight Watcher point each.

It definitely costs less for me to eat healthy food when I eat out; a grilled chicken salad or a steamed shrimp plate is a lot less than a jumbo fried seafood platter plus appetizers at the restaurants I frequent.

Another way to look at it is to include the cost of the health risks of obesity in your food bill, and I feel that dressing in reasonable clothing is more expensive when I wear 'plus sizes' or beyond, than it is when I wear a size 12 that you can get anywhere. Of course, if one's weight is changing (either up or down) there is some clothing expense.

Basically, fooey on the expense! I think that I am worth it and I choose to cut corners elsewhere because they don't use the term 'morbidly obese' for nothing.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 14:10 (080323)

Thanks! For me it is the only way that I can think of to safely lose weight. I have so much to lose, that nutrition is important and to me good nutrition while losing weight means Weight Watchers.

Weight Watchers doesn't *require* one to eat sugar, so I am able to simultaneously follow some of the ideas in Sugar Busters (though WW takes precendence for me). I find that I'm a lot more comfortable losing weight if I have avoided refined sugar as much as possible for at least a couple of months straight. I also find that I don't seem to want sugar substitutes as much if I'm not 'hooked on sugar'. When I want something sweet, I eat a banana or some blueberries and that's enough sweets for the day.

Well, you got me going so now I may never stop talking about Weight Watchers. LOL I'm kind of a Weight Watchers fanatic because it has worked for me and it has improved my health, but I will try not to preach it at everybody. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 14:16 (080325)

Carmen, those are all such good principles to follow! You really know what you are talking about when it comes to healthy eating for weight control, in my opinion.

I don't know much about exercise and weights, but now that you and Wendy are talking about it maybe I should get some weights the next time I'm at Sports Authority.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 14:23 (080326)

Hey Wendy, could you explain about weight training for those of us that are kind of ignorant about it? How would you advise someone to start it, at the very beginning? Do you know of any good websites that describe routines to do with them? or maybe they come with descriptions of what to do.

I am thinking of buying some and starting to do that.

Carole C

Rich on 4/19/02 at 16:12 (080347)

Our Albertson's has their brand of low-fat yogurt on sale 12 for $4. The fruit on the bottom kind.

I abhor fat free mayonnaise! I love those bags of pre-mixed salads! Actually, I like anything quick and easy to prepare!!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 16:28 (080351)

I like the non-fat yogurt rather than the low-fat, because it's fewer points on Weight Watchers and I can't really tell the difference. But, it doesn't have the fruit on the bottom. If I had had any sense at all, I would have cut up some of that banana that I had for lunch and put it in my 'banana cream pie' flavored yogurt! DUH! Oh well, next time I will do that. I still have more of each.

Fat free mayonnaise is not one of life's greater joys, it's true. You might be able to persuade me to go to low-fat for that. It wouldn't take much to convince me. LOL

I used to get the non-fat cheese singles too, but I decided they are abominable and abysmal and I missed reasonably good tasting cheese. So now, I get the 2% ones instead and just eat less of something else.

I am all for things that are quick and easy to prepare, too, because there is only one of me. It seems dumb to spend longer cooking a meal than eating it. The pre-mixed salad is great for a single person! :)

Carole C

wendyn on 4/19/02 at 17:14 (080352)

I would highly recommend one or two sessions with a trainer. If that's too expensive, try a beginners weight training class at a local Y or community centre. OR - book a training session with a friend and split the cost. Stay away from the really fancy gyms if you find them intimidating. And stay away from things like squats and bench press if you're having the feet and leg problems.

The advantage to the session with a trainer is that they can personalize it just for you based on your restrictions and what you want to achieve. They will also make sure that you are doing the exercises properly.

I picked up a 'Weight training for dummies' book for home. It's a great book - but again, personal instruction is always best. I would have never had the guts to try it on my own, I really needed someone to sit with me and say 'do this - then do that - do it this way'.

The pay back is great - big increase in strength - and better muscle tone. Almost makes up for all the things I've had to give up!!!!!!!

wendyn on 4/19/02 at 17:19 (080353)

I think my sister-in-law has lost (and maintained) about 80 lbs now. It's the one program that people really seem to be able to lose weight and keep it off. I think it's because it's a whole lifestyle thing rather than a quick fix.

A very overweight co worker was in the store with me this morning. He pointed to a new chocolate bar and told me I should try it and let him know if it was good. I asked why I should try it - he said 'Well you're skinny - you can eat that stuff'. I smiled and said 'No, I'm skinny cause I don't eat that stuff'.

I feel bad that some people think I can eat anything I want and then stay thin - I couldn't get away with it either.

Re: The cost

wendyn on 4/19/02 at 17:21 (080354)

Compare the cost:

Bowl of oatmeal and OJ vs eggs and bacon and coffee?
Salad and soup vs burger and fries
Chicken and rice vs steak and potatoes
veggies and dip vs bag of cheezies....

usually the healthy stuff really is cheaper

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 20:30 (080387)

Thanks, Wendy. I will probably look at that 'Weight training for Dummies' book to start with. For some reason I am more likely to do this on my own rather than in a group situation. Partly that is because I'm not a group type of person, but partly it's because I am afraid of injury due to being so out of shape. I know that I can approach it as gradually as I want if I'm doing it myself. I'd be utterly thrilled if I got a big increase in strength and better muscle tone. Even a teensy increase in strength would be super. :)

Carole C

wendyn on 4/19/02 at 20:46 (080392)

Carole, if you call some of the community centres or YMCA's - you may find that they have a tailor made class for folks who are 'out of shape'. You may also be able to get an appointment with a trainer who will come out to your house...ask for one who is compatible with your personality and physical condition (you don't want someone who will push you, you want support).

Let me know how you do!!!!!!!

Carmen on 4/19/02 at 21:14 (080401)

Yes Yes YEs! Working out with weights will definitely burn those calories...BUT be careful and educated about HOW you work out. Let me know if you get weights and I will send you guidelines in the mail or via email to make sure you don't get hurt.
Seriously it can hurt you if you aren't careful.
Try this...next time you have to pick up something heavy...contract your abs...hold them tight and this will support your back. Next day...I guarantee if you did this..your back will not suffer...you have to be careful about the amount you pick though of course!
;-)

John h on 4/20/02 at 20:09 (080503)

I will give you a sure fire weight loss program Carole and it is called 'gastroentritis' from which i just recovered. I spent a large part of my life in 3rd world countries, cheap bars, and eating any and everything and never encountered this good weight loss program but somewhere in the magic kingdom of Little Rock it found me. I did not eat for a week.

John h on 4/20/02 at 20:11 (080504)

Carole: concerning weight training try hoisting one Corona in each hand for what ever number of reps it takes to empty them.

John h on 4/20/02 at 20:14 (080505)

Wemdy: I like that trainer idea also. We have a great one named Debbie at our club!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 23:54 (080528)

John, I'm so sorry you had gastoenteritis! That is a miserable illness that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Now that you are over it, I hope you are making up for lost time and eating some good food.

I went on a date tonight with someone new who took me to a seafood place. I ordered the broiled shrimp, a very modest and healthy choice. He is overly thin and so he got the gargantuan 'fried seafood platter'. Overly thin people and people who just got over gastroenteritis can get away with ordering that, you know.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 23:58 (080529)

John: that would really get me into shape since I don't drink much.

Carole C

wendyn on 4/21/02 at 10:23 (080553)

John - you want a trainer around for totally different reasons. I know you.

wendyn on 4/21/02 at 10:24 (080554)

JOHN - What happened to the Molson's????????????

John h on 4/21/02 at 13:00 (080567)

You have a good memory Wendy. Molson won the Consumer Report beer taste contest some years ago. I do enjoy a Molson as much as any beer.