Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I just got an orthotic for my mouth!

Posted by Valerie S on 4/18/02 at 18:21 (080203)

Hi.

Hee hee... I posted about a month ago about how I suffer from TMJ problems and was about to go the dentist for help after 17 years of growing agony. I was casted and fitted for this nightguard to wear while I sleep... familiar and common treatment, I hear. I go back next week for adjustments; he keeps on adjusting it as my jaw goes back to it's normal place... wearing it for a half hour, I can already feel it's moving out of wack.

Well, the interesting things this dentist said to me, I'll tell you... first he told me this is called an orthotic device (he started to explain what orthotics do, but I said, 'yeah yeah I had 'em before...'). Then he was telling me about the thin white membrane that covers muscles... the fascia. He said that the fascia covers all your muscles and goes from head to feet. He was telling about how chiropractic and another type of adjustment can impact the flexibility of the jaw and can promote healing... he told a story about a man getting a 5 minute adjustment during a medical seminar he attended. This little old lady was doing things with this guy's legs, and 5 minutes later he could open his mouth all the way instead of part-way... amazing! Just a coincidence that I'm familiar with the words fascia and orthotic, since suffering with PF this past year and a half... I thought it was very interesting indeed. I am quite happy with this dentist. I have to say, I've never met a dentist I actually LIKED before. He has a great chairside manor, and admits that he has to keep an assistant with him because he talks too much to his patients and they have to keep him on topic! hee hee...

AND... today I got not ONE but TWO compliments on my sexy pink nubuck Riyadh Birkenstocks! (this is in reference to another thread about how sexy Birkenstocks really are to those of us who appreciate them... hee hee)

Now if only the cable guy had shown up to install the internet and tv, this day would have been PERFECT!! Oh well, I can live another week without it, but it's the principle of the thing...

I know this has nothing to do with heel pain, but I thought I'd share some interesting stories with my old friends. I hope everyone is enjoying happy springtime weather ... Wendy? Tell me it's not still snowing... it's over 80 degrees again here in north Michigan.

Guess I'll go out and enjoy the twilight breeze off the lake... best wishes and peppy feet to all :)

Val.

Re: I just got an orthotic for my mouth!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/18/02 at 18:56 (080205)

Pink nubuck Riyadh's are cute! I am looking at a photo of them at the German site, at http://www.jestelkg.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+a=EUR&

You can get Floridas in merlot nubuck too. :)

When Cox Cable connected me up for internet and TV (when I moved into this apartment) they took forever. I hope you have better luck! The weather here is great but a little on the hot side for me, and not even much of a breeze. I still like it. LOL

Carole

Rich on 4/18/02 at 20:06 (080217)

Hi Valerie!

I just had to reply...that was too funny...an orthotic for your mouth! I could use one and I don't have TMJ! LOL

My dentist is my favorite doc too! Great chairside manner, even calls at home to check up on us after anything intense! The last time I brought my girls for a check up he even dropped a little kiss on their foreheads when he was done. I know in today's world there is soooo much to worry about, but this was in the most innocent of ways. He is just such a sweet guy!

Happy to hear your are getting cable modem? It's great! Had mine since last Sept. No more waiting, very fast...I love it! Goes along with all that 'instant gratification' we talk about1 LOL

Enjoy the weather...it's nice and warm here in Louisiana too! Pool is warming up nicely...maybe just another week or too before splashdown!

Rich

Re: Cable internet

Valerie S on 4/18/02 at 20:35 (080222)

I can't wait to get cable again. We had it before we moved up here, and are so glad it is now available in our town. There seems to be some kind of communication problem between the ordertaker/dispatch and the guy that actually comes out here... a wee bit frustrating, since the name of the company is Charter Communications! ... hee hee... I just want my cable now... !! ... I already waited my turn once, now I'm back at the bottom of the list... and there's only one place to get it, so I'm at their mercy !!

Poor me! ... hee hee...

Val.

Carmen on 4/19/02 at 07:43 (080252)

Valeria~

My mom has TMJ and got that mouth guad a long time agoo...it helped. Good luck with it.
I had posted awhile back about NST and this treatment has to do with the fascia which covers our entire body....very interesting. Nice to know other doctors are educated about this stuff...especially the dentist!
Super...I am glad he is helpful to you!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/18/02 at 18:56 (080205)

Pink nubuck Riyadh's are cute! I am looking at a photo of them at the German site, at http://www.jestelkg.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+a=EUR&

You can get Floridas in merlot nubuck too. :)

When Cox Cable connected me up for internet and TV (when I moved into this apartment) they took forever. I hope you have better luck! The weather here is great but a little on the hot side for me, and not even much of a breeze. I still like it. LOL

Carole

Rich on 4/18/02 at 20:06 (080217)

Hi Valerie!

I just had to reply...that was too funny...an orthotic for your mouth! I could use one and I don't have TMJ! LOL

My dentist is my favorite doc too! Great chairside manner, even calls at home to check up on us after anything intense! The last time I brought my girls for a check up he even dropped a little kiss on their foreheads when he was done. I know in today's world there is soooo much to worry about, but this was in the most innocent of ways. He is just such a sweet guy!

Happy to hear your are getting cable modem? It's great! Had mine since last Sept. No more waiting, very fast...I love it! Goes along with all that 'instant gratification' we talk about1 LOL

Enjoy the weather...it's nice and warm here in Louisiana too! Pool is warming up nicely...maybe just another week or too before splashdown!

Rich

Re: Cable internet

Valerie S on 4/18/02 at 20:35 (080222)

I can't wait to get cable again. We had it before we moved up here, and are so glad it is now available in our town. There seems to be some kind of communication problem between the ordertaker/dispatch and the guy that actually comes out here... a wee bit frustrating, since the name of the company is Charter Communications! ... hee hee... I just want my cable now... !! ... I already waited my turn once, now I'm back at the bottom of the list... and there's only one place to get it, so I'm at their mercy !!

Poor me! ... hee hee...

Val.

Carmen on 4/19/02 at 07:43 (080252)

Valeria~

My mom has TMJ and got that mouth guad a long time agoo...it helped. Good luck with it.
I had posted awhile back about NST and this treatment has to do with the fascia which covers our entire body....very interesting. Nice to know other doctors are educated about this stuff...especially the dentist!
Super...I am glad he is helpful to you!