Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

VIOXX & DOSAGE?

Posted by Rachael T. on 4/18/02 at 22:27 (080231)

AT PRESENT, VIOXX 50 MG SEEMS TO BE HELPING ME W/ MY PAIN....BUT ON BUSY BARN DAYS AROUND 6PM, I AM WANTING TO SUPPLEMENT WITH A FEW 200 MG. IBOPRUFIN -- IS THIS A BAD DUO OR MIX? PLEASE ADVISE IF ANY OF YOU HAVE DONE THIS & OUTCOME OR OTHER INFO.

THANKS!

Re: VIOXX & DOSAGE?

Sharon W on 4/18/02 at 23:31 (080237)

Rachael,

50 mg is the maximum recommended dosage of Vioxx, I believe. And if you look at the pharmacist's warnings (that computer-generated sheet that most pharmacists print up, listing side effects, etc.) you will probably find a warning against taking it together with other anti-inflammatory medications (or it may refer to them as 'NSAIDs')unless it is approved by your doctor. I believe this warning is mostly because of stomach and/or intestinal irritation that is caused by anti-inflammatory medications. Vioxx does irritate the stomach to some extent, and Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory medication that can lead to stomach irritation or even bleeding in the stomach or intestines.

You should consult the doctor who prescribed the Vioxx for you, and see whether he/she thinks taking ibuprofen together with Vioxx would be OK for you.

For what it's worth, understand your situation. I also take Vioxx and I have the same problem with it -- it works great, in the morning, but it seems to 'wear off' sometime in the afternoon, and I'm not supposed to take it again until the next day!

-- Sharon

Rich on 4/19/02 at 08:03 (080262)

Hi Rachael,

My doc advised not taking ibuprofin with Vioxx. Are you icing after a busy day? That may help.

Rachael T. on 4/19/02 at 09:21 (080272)

Thanks Rich - yes, the ice is a regular thing - on busy & not so busy days even! I shall 'listen' to the doctors (yours & mine) in their advisement to 'NOT' do the ib. supplement to vioxx 50mg. Guess busy days have to be less busy! OH MY! That is not always easy - being a show horsetrainer & this, being our busy, competitive season! Thanks for your help!

Rachael T. on 4/19/02 at 09:26 (080273)

Thanks for your reply! I am relieved (but not happy about it for you!!!) that you too have the same reactions in afternoons w/ vioxx 'wearing off!' This a.m. - I decided to not take Vioxx till later in the day when my day becomes more busy - thus, it will mainly be stronger in my bloodstream. I truly, think taking 3 ibuprofin in a.m.; 3 in afternoon; & 3 in p.m. seemed more 'leveled' in my blood stream for controlling pain thru the day.....& 3/3/3 is an allowed dosage. But, it is nicer to take just 1 pill & be done w/ it -- presently, I am weighing the differences & may go back to for best long lasting effect; don't know though if it is less powerful in ridding me of the inflammation! Do you have any thoughts on this?

Sharon W on 4/19/02 at 11:37 (080303)

Rachael,

I cannot take ibuprofen at all because it upsets my stomach, so I don't have that option... and my Dr. did say that no, it was not safe to take another anti-inflammatory in the evening, if I was taking Vioxx, that it would probably damage my stomach.

I did try what you're talking about -- taking the Vioxx in the afternoon, instead of morning. Unfortunately, for me it didn't work at all; without the AM Vioxx my 'bad' foot swelled up early in the day and stayed that way all day long (ouch!) Taking Vioxx in the afternoon kept it from swelling MORE, but it didn't make the swelling that was already there go away! So for me, it still turns out better to take it first thing in the morning so that my feet which have been up on a pillow in bed and without any weight on them all night long and therefore are not swollen, don't ever get a CHANCE to swell until the afternoon when Vioxx wears off. But it may turn out differently for you . Part of my problem is a varicose vein in my tarsal tunnel -- and you probably don't have to worry about that!

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 4/18/02 at 23:31 (080237)

Rachael,

50 mg is the maximum recommended dosage of Vioxx, I believe. And if you look at the pharmacist's warnings (that computer-generated sheet that most pharmacists print up, listing side effects, etc.) you will probably find a warning against taking it together with other anti-inflammatory medications (or it may refer to them as 'NSAIDs')unless it is approved by your doctor. I believe this warning is mostly because of stomach and/or intestinal irritation that is caused by anti-inflammatory medications. Vioxx does irritate the stomach to some extent, and Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory medication that can lead to stomach irritation or even bleeding in the stomach or intestines.

You should consult the doctor who prescribed the Vioxx for you, and see whether he/she thinks taking ibuprofen together with Vioxx would be OK for you.

For what it's worth, understand your situation. I also take Vioxx and I have the same problem with it -- it works great, in the morning, but it seems to 'wear off' sometime in the afternoon, and I'm not supposed to take it again until the next day!

-- Sharon

Rich on 4/19/02 at 08:03 (080262)

Hi Rachael,

My doc advised not taking ibuprofin with Vioxx. Are you icing after a busy day? That may help.

Rachael T. on 4/19/02 at 09:21 (080272)

Thanks Rich - yes, the ice is a regular thing - on busy & not so busy days even! I shall 'listen' to the doctors (yours & mine) in their advisement to 'NOT' do the ib. supplement to vioxx 50mg. Guess busy days have to be less busy! OH MY! That is not always easy - being a show horsetrainer & this, being our busy, competitive season! Thanks for your help!

Rachael T. on 4/19/02 at 09:26 (080273)

Thanks for your reply! I am relieved (but not happy about it for you!!!) that you too have the same reactions in afternoons w/ vioxx 'wearing off!' This a.m. - I decided to not take Vioxx till later in the day when my day becomes more busy - thus, it will mainly be stronger in my bloodstream. I truly, think taking 3 ibuprofin in a.m.; 3 in afternoon; & 3 in p.m. seemed more 'leveled' in my blood stream for controlling pain thru the day.....& 3/3/3 is an allowed dosage. But, it is nicer to take just 1 pill & be done w/ it -- presently, I am weighing the differences & may go back to for best long lasting effect; don't know though if it is less powerful in ridding me of the inflammation! Do you have any thoughts on this?

Sharon W on 4/19/02 at 11:37 (080303)

Rachael,

I cannot take ibuprofen at all because it upsets my stomach, so I don't have that option... and my Dr. did say that no, it was not safe to take another anti-inflammatory in the evening, if I was taking Vioxx, that it would probably damage my stomach.

I did try what you're talking about -- taking the Vioxx in the afternoon, instead of morning. Unfortunately, for me it didn't work at all; without the AM Vioxx my 'bad' foot swelled up early in the day and stayed that way all day long (ouch!) Taking Vioxx in the afternoon kept it from swelling MORE, but it didn't make the swelling that was already there go away! So for me, it still turns out better to take it first thing in the morning so that my feet which have been up on a pillow in bed and without any weight on them all night long and therefore are not swollen, don't ever get a CHANCE to swell until the afternoon when Vioxx wears off. But it may turn out differently for you . Part of my problem is a varicose vein in my tarsal tunnel -- and you probably don't have to worry about that!

-- Sharon