Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tear rupture of plantfacia;got mri results but a few questioons

Posted by lisa k on 4/19/02 at 01:27 (080241)

my first pod ive being seeing for six months since the serious type of pain developed would not do an mri said it wouldnt show anything sent me for a 3rd steroid shot an intensive Physical therapy trampoline balancing wieht lifting with feet calfs rotating on wood circle with ball underneath etc.ALSO SAID JUST WAIT UP TO 12MONTHS FOR ESWT NOTHING MORE iS IT POSSIBLE IVE WALKED AROUND UNSUPORTED WITH A LARGE TEAR FOR 6MONTHS, WILL THAT CAUSE LESS AFFECTIVE HEALING

the pain was worse but i thought although limping keep stretching and all the above,'no pain no gain' EVEN reduced to wheelchair use in activies after pt....... finally last weekend called 5AM throbbing pain intense and got his asst dr who told me to stay off completly and he scheduled finally an mri and he put me immed in cam walker examine said felt gap wear facia should be

NOW my question mri showed tear equivalant to parial 'surgery' release plus scaring 'said my foot did a surgical procedure on its own'happens to two or three of ther patients a yr prescibed non anttinflam pain med ,complete rest RICE ,24 in cam for minimum 4-6 weeks surgery not needed
WHAT HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED IN PATIENTS WITH THIS ,WHAT PROGNOSIS FOR LONG TERM RECOVERY?thanks lisa also thanks for your earlier reply DRC. and DR.Z

Re: tear rupture of plantfacia;got mri results but a few questioons

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/19/02 at 05:50 (080246)

LIsa:

Get the MRI. See what levle the fascia is torn at. Next if you performed your own fasciectomy I would continue to wear orthotics after to allow the fascia to be supported. I pain continues I would absolutely consider ESWT, The reason being is that I will encourage healing.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: Heel spurs- will I ever run again?

Julie on 4/22/02 at 09:33 (080637)

I am a 37 yr.old female triathlete/runner. While training for a marathon last summer I developed heel pain - continued to train, ran the marathon and then could not walk on my heelafterwards. X-ray confirmed a heel spur. Since Dec. of 2001 I have done the following: time off from running, P.T., taping, icing, boot cast, 2 injections, and custome made orthotics. After the first injection foot felt better and I began to run again, slowly building my miles. After one week of running the pain was back, received a second injection, no relief. The pain which was once just at the site of the spur is now along the entire portion of my heel.

Dr. recommeds either release surgery or shock wave. Is shock wave effective for heel spurs? Is there a procedure that can remove the heel spur? The rest of my foot feels fine, the pain is only in the heel and is so severe at times I cannot put any wieght on my heel.

Will I every be able ro run again?????

Sincerely,
Julie

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/22/02 at 09:52 (080639)

Hey Julie:

The spur is not always the cause of your pain. Yes shock wave would help. If you would like an information packet just go to my web site - Drfoot.tv and request it. I will be happy to send it our for you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/02 at 20:36 (080749)

We have been using ESWT for chronic heel spur pain just like yours . We have been very sucessful in hundreds of cases over the past two years. Dr. Cozzarelli is part of our ESWT group and I highly recommend his expertise not just in ESWT but in the treatment of feet.

Re: tear rupture of plantfacia;got mri results but a few questioons

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/19/02 at 05:50 (080246)

LIsa:

Get the MRI. See what levle the fascia is torn at. Next if you performed your own fasciectomy I would continue to wear orthotics after to allow the fascia to be supported. I pain continues I would absolutely consider ESWT, The reason being is that I will encourage healing.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Julie on 4/22/02 at 09:33 (080637)

I am a 37 yr.old female triathlete/runner. While training for a marathon last summer I developed heel pain - continued to train, ran the marathon and then could not walk on my heelafterwards. X-ray confirmed a heel spur. Since Dec. of 2001 I have done the following: time off from running, P.T., taping, icing, boot cast, 2 injections, and custome made orthotics. After the first injection foot felt better and I began to run again, slowly building my miles. After one week of running the pain was back, received a second injection, no relief. The pain which was once just at the site of the spur is now along the entire portion of my heel.

Dr. recommeds either release surgery or shock wave. Is shock wave effective for heel spurs? Is there a procedure that can remove the heel spur? The rest of my foot feels fine, the pain is only in the heel and is so severe at times I cannot put any wieght on my heel.

Will I every be able ro run again?????

Sincerely,
Julie

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/22/02 at 09:52 (080639)

Hey Julie:

The spur is not always the cause of your pain. Yes shock wave would help. If you would like an information packet just go to my web site - Drfoot.tv and request it. I will be happy to send it our for you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/02 at 20:36 (080749)

We have been using ESWT for chronic heel spur pain just like yours . We have been very sucessful in hundreds of cases over the past two years. Dr. Cozzarelli is part of our ESWT group and I highly recommend his expertise not just in ESWT but in the treatment of feet.