Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this Plantar Fasciitis???

Posted by ScottW on 4/19/02 at 10:34 (080290)

I have been dealing with plantar fasciitis (although I am beginning to wonder if it isn't something else???) for about 14 months now. It was brought on by playing basketball over the late winter of 2001. My feet have been horrible ever since. My feet feel like the nerves on the bottom of my entire foot (in both feet) are super sensitive. It is sometimes hard to even keep a soft, loose tennis shoe on during the day. It is like a dull tingling ache over the entire bottom of my foot. Most of the time I can't even put my feet on the ground when sitting in a chair. They have to be propped up on a stool to get all of the weight off of them. I don't have the classic morning pain either. I can walk on my soft treadmill for about 25 minutes (sometimes). It seems like once my feet get stretched out from walking they are okay for that 25 minutes. But when I am finished with the treadmill, they are hard to stand on for any length of time (2 minutes or more would be too much). My feet have always been way worse when just having to stand in one place, especially on a hard floor, than when walking. Although walking doesn't feel that good either. The only thing that makes my feet feel better is ice because it numbs the pain. But as soon as I am done icing them, they hurt if I stand on them for any length of time. It is so frustrating! I have tried orthotics, night splints, stretching, Jade Balm Cream, and taping but they don't seem to help. Just rest and ice. Does this sound like plantar fasciitus to anyone or could it be something else? Any suggestions for treatment would also be helpful. Thanks!

Re: Is this Plantar Fasciitis???

Carmen on 4/19/02 at 10:46 (080293)

Hi Scott~

I can understand your concern...I didn't have classic morning pain either...until recently. When standing still my feet hurt like the dickens too....until recently....now they are more tolerable. but walking is better for me as well.
I have been to MANY doctors and have had this for almost a year...no one says anything but PF now..for awhile they were hemming nad hawing over what else it could be...but after many tests it boils down to PF.
You say it was brought on by Bball in late winter 2001 but that you've had it for 14 months...Did it start in winter of last year? or was it worsened by the bball?
PF can do many things...bring on many different kinds of pain...if I were you I would quit walking and rest your feet and see what changes.

ScottW on 4/19/02 at 10:54 (080297)

It started for me in February of 2001 (14 months ago). I had played basketball that winter alot and that is when I first noticed it. Thanks for your response.

Ellen J. on 4/19/02 at 11:51 (080306)

Hi Scott,
I've had P.F. for almost 3 yrs. and one thing I found out recently was that the treadmill didn't work well for me. I don't know if it would hold true for you or not, but my feet got worse when I walked on the treadmill. That was confusing to me, because I could walk around town OK. but when I did the machine, my PF got worse. One of the doctors here mentioned that treadmills create extra 'foot drag' or something like that, causing a person to overstep more than they would ordinarily do while walking around the house. I think that might cause too much stress on the achilles and then on the Fascia in turn. Maybe a good test for this might be to try taking little tiny steps around the house and see if that reduces the pain. Then take much larger steps and see if the pain increases. That is exactly what happens to me, so I take little steps (how slow and boring--but it helps alot with the healing process), If you love exercise like I do, it is extremely difficult to be patient long enough to recover. I was on the right track until 2 days ago when I forgot I had PF and ran up the stairs in a rush to get to an appointment. I am now icing today.
Ellen

R C on 4/19/02 at 12:17 (080312)

Scott,

I'm not a doctor, but a fellow patient.

As noted above, it is possible that your treadmill is making things worse, especially if it is on an incline. This causes greater tension in the achilles tendon and plantar fascia during the push-off phase of your gait. Accordingly, you might see if a soft heel lift (which reduces the tension) helps.

R C

BrianJ on 4/19/02 at 12:43 (080315)

Hi Scott --

I can understand your frustration, as I have had similar symptoms (caused much the same way) for four years now. If you will lay off the exercise and continue to ice your feet regularly, I think you'll find that the pain in the front and middle parts of your foot will go away (i.e, you'll be left with just heel pain). Get some soft orthotics, and try taping your feet (see this board for instructions and discussion).

As to whether you have PF, I can only say that I've had numerous tests for other ailments, but they were all negative. Thus, PF is still the best bet.

Good luck, and please keep us informed of your progress.

Re: Have you seen a doctor?

Valerie S on 4/19/02 at 15:02 (080335)

Scott,

I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain. Have you seen a doctor and received a proper diagnosis? Your doctor should be able to help you decide what treatments to try next. You can also read the heel pain book by following the link here... you will get many ideas that will help you understand and live with PF.

Good luck to you, and keep asking questions here... but DO see a doctor.

Your friend, Val.

Re: Yes, you need a definite diagnosis so you know what you're dealing with. (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 16:01 (080343)

Re: Yes, you need a definite diagnosis so you know what you're dealing with. (nm)

ScottW on 4/22/02 at 06:51 (080625)

I've seen my family doctor, an orthopedic doctor, a podiatrist. I've had a bone scan, x-rays, blood work (all were negative). All three doctors say PF.

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 07:38 (080633)

Than it's time to accept that that is true. Until you have proof of otherwise....OR unless you have other symptoms in conjunction with pain in your feet. (back issues, hip problems etc...)

FLO W. on 4/22/02 at 18:25 (080724)

AFTER A WHOLE BUNCH OF NEGATIVE TEST RESULTS, PAIN KILLERS AND PAIN, A DOCTOR RECOMMENDED AN MRI. THAT PROVED I HAD PLANTAR FASCITIS. YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY THAT ROUTE.

Kathy G on 4/23/02 at 09:11 (080788)

Hi Scott,

We have many of the same symptoms. I, too, do not have the typical morning pain. My feet get worse as the day progresses unless I take it real easy. Standing in one place absolutely kills me! In fact, I had to give up my part-time job on account of it. I find I am much better if I can move around. As to the treadmill, I, too, find that I can't use it without great pain. I can understand your frustration as that was my primary means of exercise prior to this stupid condition. If I walk around the mall or downtown, for example, I can seem to walk more than I can on the treadmill. Ellen mentions that in her posting.

My only advice is to try resting as much as possible and as much as it kills you, stop trying to exercise. I know, I kept on trying and just made myself worse. You can't tough it out and work through the pain. If you read these boards and Scott's book, you'll see that this is not a condition you can do that with. I found stretching, rest and icing to be of the most help, as well as taking Vioxx.

After a year of PF, I have made some progress and am able to do much more than I could a year ago but I still haven't found an exercise regime that works for me. I am hopeful that if I continue being cautious that in time, I will be able to go back to exercise. It is terribly frustrating. PF teaches you great patience and self-control!!

By the way, not that it's any consolation to you, but I guess basketball is a primary cause of PF. Age and condition have nothing to do with it. My son's friend developed it at 20 due to basketball and I know some of the Celtics have dealt with it.

Hang in there and try not to get too discouraged!

ScottW on 4/24/02 at 10:07 (080939)

Thanks for responding! It does help knowing others are going through the same thing. I hope you continue to improve.

Carmen on 4/19/02 at 10:46 (080293)

Hi Scott~

I can understand your concern...I didn't have classic morning pain either...until recently. When standing still my feet hurt like the dickens too....until recently....now they are more tolerable. but walking is better for me as well.
I have been to MANY doctors and have had this for almost a year...no one says anything but PF now..for awhile they were hemming nad hawing over what else it could be...but after many tests it boils down to PF.
You say it was brought on by Bball in late winter 2001 but that you've had it for 14 months...Did it start in winter of last year? or was it worsened by the bball?
PF can do many things...bring on many different kinds of pain...if I were you I would quit walking and rest your feet and see what changes.

ScottW on 4/19/02 at 10:54 (080297)

It started for me in February of 2001 (14 months ago). I had played basketball that winter alot and that is when I first noticed it. Thanks for your response.

Ellen J. on 4/19/02 at 11:51 (080306)

Hi Scott,
I've had P.F. for almost 3 yrs. and one thing I found out recently was that the treadmill didn't work well for me. I don't know if it would hold true for you or not, but my feet got worse when I walked on the treadmill. That was confusing to me, because I could walk around town OK. but when I did the machine, my PF got worse. One of the doctors here mentioned that treadmills create extra 'foot drag' or something like that, causing a person to overstep more than they would ordinarily do while walking around the house. I think that might cause too much stress on the achilles and then on the Fascia in turn. Maybe a good test for this might be to try taking little tiny steps around the house and see if that reduces the pain. Then take much larger steps and see if the pain increases. That is exactly what happens to me, so I take little steps (how slow and boring--but it helps alot with the healing process), If you love exercise like I do, it is extremely difficult to be patient long enough to recover. I was on the right track until 2 days ago when I forgot I had PF and ran up the stairs in a rush to get to an appointment. I am now icing today.
Ellen

R C on 4/19/02 at 12:17 (080312)

Scott,

I'm not a doctor, but a fellow patient.

As noted above, it is possible that your treadmill is making things worse, especially if it is on an incline. This causes greater tension in the achilles tendon and plantar fascia during the push-off phase of your gait. Accordingly, you might see if a soft heel lift (which reduces the tension) helps.

R C

BrianJ on 4/19/02 at 12:43 (080315)

Hi Scott --

I can understand your frustration, as I have had similar symptoms (caused much the same way) for four years now. If you will lay off the exercise and continue to ice your feet regularly, I think you'll find that the pain in the front and middle parts of your foot will go away (i.e, you'll be left with just heel pain). Get some soft orthotics, and try taping your feet (see this board for instructions and discussion).

As to whether you have PF, I can only say that I've had numerous tests for other ailments, but they were all negative. Thus, PF is still the best bet.

Good luck, and please keep us informed of your progress.

Re: Have you seen a doctor?

Valerie S on 4/19/02 at 15:02 (080335)

Scott,

I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain. Have you seen a doctor and received a proper diagnosis? Your doctor should be able to help you decide what treatments to try next. You can also read the heel pain book by following the link here... you will get many ideas that will help you understand and live with PF.

Good luck to you, and keep asking questions here... but DO see a doctor.

Your friend, Val.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 16:01 (080343)

ScottW on 4/22/02 at 06:51 (080625)

I've seen my family doctor, an orthopedic doctor, a podiatrist. I've had a bone scan, x-rays, blood work (all were negative). All three doctors say PF.

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 07:38 (080633)

Than it's time to accept that that is true. Until you have proof of otherwise....OR unless you have other symptoms in conjunction with pain in your feet. (back issues, hip problems etc...)

FLO W. on 4/22/02 at 18:25 (080724)

AFTER A WHOLE BUNCH OF NEGATIVE TEST RESULTS, PAIN KILLERS AND PAIN, A DOCTOR RECOMMENDED AN MRI. THAT PROVED I HAD PLANTAR FASCITIS. YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY THAT ROUTE.

Kathy G on 4/23/02 at 09:11 (080788)

Hi Scott,

We have many of the same symptoms. I, too, do not have the typical morning pain. My feet get worse as the day progresses unless I take it real easy. Standing in one place absolutely kills me! In fact, I had to give up my part-time job on account of it. I find I am much better if I can move around. As to the treadmill, I, too, find that I can't use it without great pain. I can understand your frustration as that was my primary means of exercise prior to this stupid condition. If I walk around the mall or downtown, for example, I can seem to walk more than I can on the treadmill. Ellen mentions that in her posting.

My only advice is to try resting as much as possible and as much as it kills you, stop trying to exercise. I know, I kept on trying and just made myself worse. You can't tough it out and work through the pain. If you read these boards and Scott's book, you'll see that this is not a condition you can do that with. I found stretching, rest and icing to be of the most help, as well as taking Vioxx.

After a year of PF, I have made some progress and am able to do much more than I could a year ago but I still haven't found an exercise regime that works for me. I am hopeful that if I continue being cautious that in time, I will be able to go back to exercise. It is terribly frustrating. PF teaches you great patience and self-control!!

By the way, not that it's any consolation to you, but I guess basketball is a primary cause of PF. Age and condition have nothing to do with it. My son's friend developed it at 20 due to basketball and I know some of the Celtics have dealt with it.

Hang in there and try not to get too discouraged!

ScottW on 4/24/02 at 10:07 (080939)

Thanks for responding! It does help knowing others are going through the same thing. I hope you continue to improve.