Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis and Morton's Neuroma

Posted by Cindy on 4/19/02 at 15:03 (080336)

I started going to a podiatrist regarding my feet just within the last couple of months. I tried taping, anti-inflammatories, and 1 cortisone injection. That didn't seem to help that much. Then I made an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon and he diagnosed my condition as plantar fasciitis and also ordered an ultrasound on my feet to see if there is nerve entrapment in the ball of my feet. Is there such a thing as having plantar fasciitis and morton's neuroma at the same time? He has me scheduled for physical therapy next week and I am hoping that it will help. Does anyone have any answers to this question.
I would appreciate it.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis and Morton's Neuroma

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/19/02 at 18:14 (080361)

It is possible to have plantar fasciitis and Morton's neuroma at the same time.

Read Scott's Heel Pain Book in order to gain a better understanding of the various modalities used in the treatment of plantar fasciitis. The only drawback to the book is that it may not lead to an understanding of when to use the modalities and how to combine modalities for the optimal effect.
Ed

Kathy G on 4/23/02 at 08:56 (080783)

Hi Cindy,

Yes, I have a neuroma in one foot and PF in both, so it is possible. Orthotics gave me tremendous relief for the neuroma, after I had reached a point where the cortisone shots were not a viable treatment.

One word of warning and remember everyone reacts differently. I went to PT for pain in my arches, achilles tendon and calf. I was not there for treatment of the neuroma. To my knowledge, massage right on the neuroma does not help it at all. The therapist insisted on deeply massaging the area where the neuroma was and it took a phone call from the doctor, telling her to stop, before she left that area alone. I don't know what the status of your neuroma is but mine is fine as long as I wear my orthotics. In retrospect, I believe that I should have just halted PT when they wouldn't listen to me. It shouldn't take a phone call from a doctor to convince them that something is causing problems. So be careful if what they do causes a great deal of pain. A little pain is normal because you'll be doing stretching and having deep massage (I assume) and may be using muscles that you haven't been using in a while.

Good luck!

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/19/02 at 18:14 (080361)

It is possible to have plantar fasciitis and Morton's neuroma at the same time.

Read Scott's Heel Pain Book in order to gain a better understanding of the various modalities used in the treatment of plantar fasciitis. The only drawback to the book is that it may not lead to an understanding of when to use the modalities and how to combine modalities for the optimal effect.
Ed

Kathy G on 4/23/02 at 08:56 (080783)

Hi Cindy,

Yes, I have a neuroma in one foot and PF in both, so it is possible. Orthotics gave me tremendous relief for the neuroma, after I had reached a point where the cortisone shots were not a viable treatment.

One word of warning and remember everyone reacts differently. I went to PT for pain in my arches, achilles tendon and calf. I was not there for treatment of the neuroma. To my knowledge, massage right on the neuroma does not help it at all. The therapist insisted on deeply massaging the area where the neuroma was and it took a phone call from the doctor, telling her to stop, before she left that area alone. I don't know what the status of your neuroma is but mine is fine as long as I wear my orthotics. In retrospect, I believe that I should have just halted PT when they wouldn't listen to me. It shouldn't take a phone call from a doctor to convince them that something is causing problems. So be careful if what they do causes a great deal of pain. A little pain is normal because you'll be doing stretching and having deep massage (I assume) and may be using muscles that you haven't been using in a while.

Good luck!