Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doctors, Is this a way to detect pf?

Posted by Daniel C. on 4/19/02 at 23:57 (080412)

My physical therapist mentioned that she can detect plantar fasciitis by doing a deep massage. She stated that when the therapist hears a popping sound, that is an indication that pf exists. Is this true?

Thanks

Re: Doctors, Is this a way to detect pf?

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 05:59 (080414)

This is new to me. I never had a patient describe pf as a pop. Can you describe your symptoms?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/20/02 at 11:58 (080450)

I'm sure between Dr. Cozzarelli and myself we've seen an enormous amount of patients with heel pain/plantar fasciitis. I've never heard of making a diagnosis of plantar fasciitis based on a popping sound with deep palpation. There are many other simple ways to make the diagnosis without listening for a pop!

Carmen on 4/20/02 at 13:43 (080471)

Ask her exactly what she's 'popping' and then run!
;-)
Seriously...I have never heard of that one before!

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 20:27 (080509)

I will be kind. I think that this PT is being very creative. I place very little trust in what is being said. I have been in practice for 15 years and this is a first.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Daniel C. on 4/21/02 at 05:43 (080535)

She state that it was the sound of the scar tissue breaking up as the massage is done. A popping sound. I think that is what she meant.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/21/02 at 15:48 (080581)

I think with all due respect you would need more than a massage even deep rolfing to break up scar tissue.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

David G. on 4/22/02 at 10:49 (080646)

i've had both massage therapy and rolfing. They could definitely tell i had PF. not from 'popping' though, it was more like crackling. it still does when i massage my own feet.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 05:59 (080414)

This is new to me. I never had a patient describe pf as a pop. Can you describe your symptoms?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/20/02 at 11:58 (080450)

I'm sure between Dr. Cozzarelli and myself we've seen an enormous amount of patients with heel pain/plantar fasciitis. I've never heard of making a diagnosis of plantar fasciitis based on a popping sound with deep palpation. There are many other simple ways to make the diagnosis without listening for a pop!

Carmen on 4/20/02 at 13:43 (080471)

Ask her exactly what she's 'popping' and then run!
;-)
Seriously...I have never heard of that one before!

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 20:27 (080509)

I will be kind. I think that this PT is being very creative. I place very little trust in what is being said. I have been in practice for 15 years and this is a first.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Daniel C. on 4/21/02 at 05:43 (080535)

She state that it was the sound of the scar tissue breaking up as the massage is done. A popping sound. I think that is what she meant.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/21/02 at 15:48 (080581)

I think with all due respect you would need more than a massage even deep rolfing to break up scar tissue.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

David G. on 4/22/02 at 10:49 (080646)

i've had both massage therapy and rolfing. They could definitely tell i had PF. not from 'popping' though, it was more like crackling. it still does when i massage my own feet.