Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

swelling inside of ankle and outside.

Posted by LaVona J. on 4/20/02 at 01:24 (080413)

I have a question for Drs. I have been diagnosed with tarsal tunneland am awaiting a date for surgery. My question is the swelling I have it on both sides of my ankles just in front of achiles tendons and both sides of ankle bones and just in front of ankles on outside. I have the usual symptoms of burning pain on bottoms of feet extending up calves, it gets worse by end of day etc... but now it's swelling on the outside and very sore also. Is there something else possably going on? or is this part of the tarsal tunnel?

Re: swelling inside of ankle and outside.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 06:18 (080418)

Tarsal TUnnel syndrome is on the inside of your ankle. If you are looking down at your toes on the right foot it is on the inside. If you touch your inside ankle bone the posterior tibial nerve is behind the ankle bone. Have you had and NCV perromed or injection therapy? If you tap on the nerve does pain radiate?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

LaVona J. on 4/20/02 at 11:05 (080439)

Yes it radiates, it's a shock, I've had the MRI's and nerve test's done for tarsal tunnel, My feet are just geting worse all the time I was wondering about the swelling on the outside of my ankle's and the soreness is that part of TTS also or could there be something else involved?

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 13:14 (080466)

That is difficult to say. How is your blood pressure?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

LaVona J. on 4/20/02 at 13:33 (080469)

Blood pressure is 120 over 80. which higher than my normal, when I was in my twenties it was 110 over 80 and for the last 10 to 15 years it's been around 96 over 68 or so, real low. I don't have diabetes and all other blood tests have come out normal. I've had what seems like a million test's done. I've been a healthy active person all my life.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 16:31 (080489)

Without seeing you it may also be parmalleaolar fat pad. Does the swelling go up and down?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

LaVona J. on 4/20/02 at 23:15 (080525)

By morning it's down quite a bit but still some swelling.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/21/02 at 16:30 (080585)

It sounds like fluid retention. A simple test is when it is swollen push on the inside of you ankle with you thumb. If it takes a while for the skin to rebound back it is fluid retention. I hope this helps you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

LaVona J. on 4/21/02 at 17:07 (080588)

thanks but the inside of the ankle hurts to much especially when touched, I'll just take your word for it I guess.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/21/02 at 19:48 (080597)

Best of luck.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 06:18 (080418)

Tarsal TUnnel syndrome is on the inside of your ankle. If you are looking down at your toes on the right foot it is on the inside. If you touch your inside ankle bone the posterior tibial nerve is behind the ankle bone. Have you had and NCV perromed or injection therapy? If you tap on the nerve does pain radiate?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

LaVona J. on 4/20/02 at 11:05 (080439)

Yes it radiates, it's a shock, I've had the MRI's and nerve test's done for tarsal tunnel, My feet are just geting worse all the time I was wondering about the swelling on the outside of my ankle's and the soreness is that part of TTS also or could there be something else involved?

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 13:14 (080466)

That is difficult to say. How is your blood pressure?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

LaVona J. on 4/20/02 at 13:33 (080469)

Blood pressure is 120 over 80. which higher than my normal, when I was in my twenties it was 110 over 80 and for the last 10 to 15 years it's been around 96 over 68 or so, real low. I don't have diabetes and all other blood tests have come out normal. I've had what seems like a million test's done. I've been a healthy active person all my life.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 16:31 (080489)

Without seeing you it may also be parmalleaolar fat pad. Does the swelling go up and down?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

LaVona J. on 4/20/02 at 23:15 (080525)

By morning it's down quite a bit but still some swelling.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/21/02 at 16:30 (080585)

It sounds like fluid retention. A simple test is when it is swollen push on the inside of you ankle with you thumb. If it takes a while for the skin to rebound back it is fluid retention. I hope this helps you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

LaVona J. on 4/21/02 at 17:07 (080588)

thanks but the inside of the ankle hurts to much especially when touched, I'll just take your word for it I guess.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/21/02 at 19:48 (080597)

Best of luck.

Dr. John Cozzarelli