Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Special shoes

Posted by Rachel W. on 4/20/02 at 06:21 (080419)

Can anyone tell me what Birkenstock Arizonas are or Munro brand shoes. I assume they are American. Can you purchase them in the U.K.
Also if you wear orthotics, can you wear any sort of flat shoe or would it help to wear the sort of shoes that I mentioned above.

Re: Special shoes

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 09:46 (080431)

Yes, you can purchase Birkenstock Arizonas in the U.K. Birkenstock is a German company but their distribution is worldwide.

If you can't find a Birkenstock store near you, you can order them online. Click on the word Birkenstock in these posts and you will find a very inexpensive German website where Birkenstocks can be purchased. Then click on 'Birkenstock' on the left, and then click on 'basic styles', and then 'Arizona'. In the upper left corner there's a pull down menu where you can select the currency in which you wish to pay. I recommend one of the natural materials for uppers such as leather, suede, or nubuck leather and not the manmade Birko Flor.

I don't know a thing about Munro's. Hope this helps!

Carole C

Rachel W. on 4/20/02 at 11:55 (080448)

Thankyou Carole. I'll look them up.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/20/02 at 11:57 (080449)

You can also purchase Birkenstocks on http://www.birkenstock.express.com . That site should have all the styles you're looking for. I'm aware of the site because I once wrote an article for them regarding plantar fasciitis that appears on their website. (if you go on the website, click on the 'community' tab, then click on 'foot health'). Unfortunately, the article has never been updated since it was first put on the site, therefore the information regarding ESWT isn't up to date. For information on Munro's, just try a search for a website.

Rachel W. on 4/20/02 at 12:04 (080452)

Thanks Dr. I just looked up on the Birkenstock web site. They looked similar to Scholl shoes. Are they the same sort of thing?

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/20/02 at 12:20 (080455)

No, I really don't think that's a fair evaluation. With all respect to Dr. Scholl products, the wooden sandal that was a popular Dr. Scholl style was a formed wooden shoe with a small 'bump' under the toes. This was supposed to cause you to grip the bump to keep the sandals on your feet, therefore build up leg muscles, etc. Birkenstock's are known for a very high quality product with excellent materials. They are famous for the foot bed of the shoe/sandal which resembles an orthotic and is often made from a cork/rubber compound. This eventually molds to your foot and becomes a custom type fit. If you contact 'birkenstockexpress.com', I'm sure they will be happy to answer your questions and send out material. This website is actually out of Oregon and has a very solid reputation. There are many people on the HeelSpurs.com website that are loyal wearers of 'Birks'.

Rachel W. on 4/21/02 at 09:57 (080545)

People have said about Birkenstock shoes, Orthotics, Wedged shoes, cushioned heels. I'm confused. Do I wear Birkenstock shoes with a wedge with orthotics put in them with cushioned heels????

Re: The Shoe for PF

Carole C in NOLA on 4/21/02 at 10:43 (080556)

Rachel, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no one shoe that is best for everyone with PF all the time. In fact, it seems to help a lot of us if we change shoes from day to day and even a few times during the day. Some shoes have cushioned heels (like my NB 879); some have wedges; I have custom orthotics (which were fitted in my SAS shoes), and so on.

Birkenstocks have been helpful to many of us here. They are not 'The Shoe' for me, but I'm so thankful that I have them! They have helped considerably in my recovery.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 09:46 (080431)

Yes, you can purchase Birkenstock Arizonas in the U.K. Birkenstock is a German company but their distribution is worldwide.

If you can't find a Birkenstock store near you, you can order them online. Click on the word Birkenstock in these posts and you will find a very inexpensive German website where Birkenstocks can be purchased. Then click on 'Birkenstock' on the left, and then click on 'basic styles', and then 'Arizona'. In the upper left corner there's a pull down menu where you can select the currency in which you wish to pay. I recommend one of the natural materials for uppers such as leather, suede, or nubuck leather and not the manmade Birko Flor.

I don't know a thing about Munro's. Hope this helps!

Carole C

Rachel W. on 4/20/02 at 11:55 (080448)

Thankyou Carole. I'll look them up.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/20/02 at 11:57 (080449)

You can also purchase Birkenstocks on http://www.birkenstock.express.com . That site should have all the styles you're looking for. I'm aware of the site because I once wrote an article for them regarding plantar fasciitis that appears on their website. (if you go on the website, click on the 'community' tab, then click on 'foot health'). Unfortunately, the article has never been updated since it was first put on the site, therefore the information regarding ESWT isn't up to date. For information on Munro's, just try a search for a website.

Rachel W. on 4/20/02 at 12:04 (080452)

Thanks Dr. I just looked up on the Birkenstock web site. They looked similar to Scholl shoes. Are they the same sort of thing?

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/20/02 at 12:20 (080455)

No, I really don't think that's a fair evaluation. With all respect to Dr. Scholl products, the wooden sandal that was a popular Dr. Scholl style was a formed wooden shoe with a small 'bump' under the toes. This was supposed to cause you to grip the bump to keep the sandals on your feet, therefore build up leg muscles, etc. Birkenstock's are known for a very high quality product with excellent materials. They are famous for the foot bed of the shoe/sandal which resembles an orthotic and is often made from a cork/rubber compound. This eventually molds to your foot and becomes a custom type fit. If you contact 'birkenstockexpress.com', I'm sure they will be happy to answer your questions and send out material. This website is actually out of Oregon and has a very solid reputation. There are many people on the HeelSpurs.com website that are loyal wearers of 'Birks'.

Rachel W. on 4/21/02 at 09:57 (080545)

People have said about Birkenstock shoes, Orthotics, Wedged shoes, cushioned heels. I'm confused. Do I wear Birkenstock shoes with a wedge with orthotics put in them with cushioned heels????

Re: The Shoe for PF

Carole C in NOLA on 4/21/02 at 10:43 (080556)

Rachel, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no one shoe that is best for everyone with PF all the time. In fact, it seems to help a lot of us if we change shoes from day to day and even a few times during the day. Some shoes have cushioned heels (like my NB 879); some have wedges; I have custom orthotics (which were fitted in my SAS shoes), and so on.

Birkenstocks have been helpful to many of us here. They are not 'The Shoe' for me, but I'm so thankful that I have them! They have helped considerably in my recovery.

Carole C