Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thinking of surgery

Posted by wendyg on 4/20/02 at 11:17 (080442)

I had tss surgery a year ago without any success. I now have been told by 4 pain drs. that I also have rsd. I have seen a new podiatrist who doesn't think I have rsd but did nerve test which showed bilateral tss but also entrapment of the nerve on the top of both feet. Since surg. one of the symptoms that lead to the rsd diag. was burning on the top of my foot on th post op foot. I also now have some burning of the top of the other foot. The pain dr. says the rsd may be spreading. The pod suggests surgery where he would transfer muscle around the tibial nerve. Has anyone had this done and was it successful. I don't know what to do or who to believe but I need help. The pain dr. treatments have not really done enough to help. Thanks for listening. I'm really at a lost as to what to do and who to believe.

Re: Thinking of surgery

wendyn on 4/20/02 at 12:59 (080463)

WendyG - my understanding is that surgery is something to AVOID when you have RSD. It should only be done under very strict care that will most likely include nerve blocks. Does your pod know/agree that you have RSD? I am suprised he would even touch your foot with a knife.

Sorry - just read your post again...if you have 4 doctors who say you have it...don't risk the surgery just because one pod says you don't!!!!!!

wendyg on 4/21/02 at 15:04 (080577)

The Pod I'm seeing does not think I have rsd. He says I have nerve entrapment but doesn't think it looks like rsd. I have asked him to explain the symptoms I do have-burning pain which is worse with any stimulation such as sheets touching the top of my foot, my foot is cooler but not terribly when I see him. At night my foot can be so cold it feels like a frozen piece of meat. I also have a nerve that I have burning pain which starts about 6 inches below my knee and runs about 6 inches above my knee. I also have mirror image pain on the other foot and leg. He can not explain all of these problems but still believes it is nerve entrapment. The pain drs. think it may be spreading. The Pod did inject the top of my foot with cortisone which may have helped. It is hard to tell after just a few days because I may have a pretty good day and then a horrible day. I did ask him how he would protect me if I had surgery but because he doesn't think it's rsd he doesn't see the need to protect me. I see the pain dr. tomorrow and will try to get some answers from him. I would just love to find some relief from this pain.

Re: R You sure it is nerve entrapment?

Tammie on 4/21/02 at 16:51 (080587)

Hello, I just read your post and I feel scared for you! I have been one of the ones who surgery did not work for and now they are telling me I have RSD. Whether or not I do is not really important right now as getting a good Dr, to take care of me or I should say Help me take care of me lol. I have been living a nightmare for the last year+ and what started as a simple foot ache rapidly progressed into the worse nightmare of MY life. I had the first surgery for spur and pf release , 4 months later the pain was to much for me and they to decided it must be the tts so they did that, now it is 6 months later and what I thought could never be has happened the pain is non stop never giving a break I pop pills to like they are candy in fact my hubby calls the ultram my M+M's which is very sad considering I have never taken pills of any kind even simple tylonol.I have resorted to crawling at times as the pain is so bad .Just telling you this as some of what you have described sounds familar to me. I just would not take a chance if there is even a remote tiny bit of a chance that you might have RSD, as from what i have learned it can spread to other areas. PLEASE be positive that it REALLY is nerve entrapment and then find out what they are going to do and what if the surgery does not work what then? Cover all bases so that you will get the best outcome!Please dont be angry with me as I am not trying to tell you what to do or am I trying to sway you one way, I just want you to have a chance at not getting worse! Please know that whatever you might choose we will be here to support you! Take care and good luck!

wendyn on 4/21/02 at 21:27 (080609)

AAGGHHG - Wendy - please think very carefully about this pods advice. If I were you...I'd crawl as fast as I could away from him.

WHAT IF HE'S WRONG!?!?

If you're going to do it anyway - I'd ask for it in writing that it is his medical opinion that despite 4 pain doctors, he believes that you do not have RSD and that you are at no more risk from the surgery than anyone else.

If nothing else, it may help you in a law suit if you end up worse of from RSD/surgical complications.

wendyn on 4/20/02 at 12:59 (080463)

WendyG - my understanding is that surgery is something to AVOID when you have RSD. It should only be done under very strict care that will most likely include nerve blocks. Does your pod know/agree that you have RSD? I am suprised he would even touch your foot with a knife.

Sorry - just read your post again...if you have 4 doctors who say you have it...don't risk the surgery just because one pod says you don't!!!!!!

wendyg on 4/21/02 at 15:04 (080577)

The Pod I'm seeing does not think I have rsd. He says I have nerve entrapment but doesn't think it looks like rsd. I have asked him to explain the symptoms I do have-burning pain which is worse with any stimulation such as sheets touching the top of my foot, my foot is cooler but not terribly when I see him. At night my foot can be so cold it feels like a frozen piece of meat. I also have a nerve that I have burning pain which starts about 6 inches below my knee and runs about 6 inches above my knee. I also have mirror image pain on the other foot and leg. He can not explain all of these problems but still believes it is nerve entrapment. The pain drs. think it may be spreading. The Pod did inject the top of my foot with cortisone which may have helped. It is hard to tell after just a few days because I may have a pretty good day and then a horrible day. I did ask him how he would protect me if I had surgery but because he doesn't think it's rsd he doesn't see the need to protect me. I see the pain dr. tomorrow and will try to get some answers from him. I would just love to find some relief from this pain.

Re: R You sure it is nerve entrapment?

Tammie on 4/21/02 at 16:51 (080587)

Hello, I just read your post and I feel scared for you! I have been one of the ones who surgery did not work for and now they are telling me I have RSD. Whether or not I do is not really important right now as getting a good Dr, to take care of me or I should say Help me take care of me lol. I have been living a nightmare for the last year+ and what started as a simple foot ache rapidly progressed into the worse nightmare of MY life. I had the first surgery for spur and pf release , 4 months later the pain was to much for me and they to decided it must be the tts so they did that, now it is 6 months later and what I thought could never be has happened the pain is non stop never giving a break I pop pills to like they are candy in fact my hubby calls the ultram my M+M's which is very sad considering I have never taken pills of any kind even simple tylonol.I have resorted to crawling at times as the pain is so bad .Just telling you this as some of what you have described sounds familar to me. I just would not take a chance if there is even a remote tiny bit of a chance that you might have RSD, as from what i have learned it can spread to other areas. PLEASE be positive that it REALLY is nerve entrapment and then find out what they are going to do and what if the surgery does not work what then? Cover all bases so that you will get the best outcome!Please dont be angry with me as I am not trying to tell you what to do or am I trying to sway you one way, I just want you to have a chance at not getting worse! Please know that whatever you might choose we will be here to support you! Take care and good luck!

wendyn on 4/21/02 at 21:27 (080609)

AAGGHHG - Wendy - please think very carefully about this pods advice. If I were you...I'd crawl as fast as I could away from him.

WHAT IF HE'S WRONG!?!?

If you're going to do it anyway - I'd ask for it in writing that it is his medical opinion that despite 4 pain doctors, he believes that you do not have RSD and that you are at no more risk from the surgery than anyone else.

If nothing else, it may help you in a law suit if you end up worse of from RSD/surgical complications.