Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks sandals didn't go, any other good sandals?

Posted by Liam T. on 4/20/02 at 15:01 (080477)

I tried the arizonas but size 39 was small, my little toes where pushing on the edge of the front, then I got a 40, but it seems that when I stop walking or just stand .....my right heel sits on the edge of the cup instead of sliding in. I brought them back ....I really wanted them but 115 bucks is a little too much for a sandal that dosen't fit properly.
Sooo I'm looking for a plain sandal similar to the arizona to wear around home and for the coming summer. Specially at home, i have these chinese made rubber slippers that aren't really helping and I don't like to wear shoes at home.....

If you have any pointers kindly let me know
Liam
Toronto

Re: Dansko?

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 15:55 (080484)

Liam, did you get your Birkenstocks fitted at a Birkenstock store? It can make a big difference to get them fitted by someone good at it. In my case, a 40 is too long, but a 39 Regular is a teeny bit too narrow and my feet slip over the edges on the sides just barely. I had been wearing 40's from online, but the bumps hit me in the wrong place.

Then I went to the Birkenstock store, they put me in a 39 Regular in the Grenada style which is more closed in the area where my foot was slightly too wide. This was much better. They said I probably couldn't wear some styles of Birkenstocks, but my Grenadas are very comfortable for me. Also some other Birkenstocks that I have bought in the the high arch Tatami footbed have slightly different 'bump placement' and are fine for me in a 40.

I am wondering in your case, if there is a 40 with a more restrictive upper that would hold your foot in a position so that your heel was in the cup.

If not, how about a Dansko sandal? I have never worn Dansko's (I have four pairs of Birkenstock sandals). However some people here really love Dansko.

Carole C

Liam T. on 4/20/02 at 17:00 (080491)

Yes, Carole......this is the birkenstock store, everything did look ok in the store but when I walked around with it at home there were problems.
I went back to the store today but it was a mad house, they were very busy, so I might go back another time during the week, see if another style is better. I might go over to walmart I hear they have a knockoff of the birks, you never know. I'll have to look around for the dansko, see ifs available around here wannna make sure i try it.....
thanks liam

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 17:39 (080494)

Those knockoff of the birks at Walmart looked horrid to me. I saw them but was so turned off that I would not even put one on my foot long enough to try it. The footbed doesn't have as much depth to it, and doesn't look like it is even cork. On the other hand, whatever works! The price is certainly right.

If you can find out at the Birkenstock store what Birkenstock works for you, maybe you could save money by then ordering them online from the German site. Many of the American sites have Arizonas for $90 US, for example, and that is what they cost in my Birkenstock store, but the German site is considerably cheaper.

I'm sure the Dansko's are around somewhere, but I'm not familiar with Toronto. Here's a site that carries a few of the Dansko styles.

http://www.shoobedoo.com/

I'd look for a better site, but I'm outta here! Got a date tonight. :)

Bye for now,

Carole C

Re: Birks sandals didn't go, any other good sandals?

Anne H on 4/20/02 at 21:51 (080516)

I went to a Birk store today in VA. I found out that the Arizona is not a good fit for me either, the 39 reg is too wide and the 40 narrow somehow has my outside toes touching the rim which I walk. I did find a couple of other styles that were great and bought the micro fiber blk suede look Florida in a 39 which fit perfectly. There was another style that I liked but they did not have black which is what I want right now. Cost me almost $100 at this store but they seem to know what they are doing and was not as far away as I thought. So will start wearing them tomorrow for an hour or two. Oh they feel very comfortable btw, nice and soft. I tried on another paid with two straps in the blk patent and they felt hard.

Re: any other good sandals? Mephisto!!!

Dan L on 4/24/02 at 20:28 (081011)

I have tried Birks. They are pretty good but rather hard and have to be broken in for most people. I discovered Mephisto Sandals about 2 years ago. They are fantastic!!! Lots of support and cushiony as well. VERY comfortable when compared to anything else I've tried. But they are the most expensive as well (but worth it). Good luck to you!!
Dan in SC

Liam T. on 4/25/02 at 08:00 (081060)

Thanks kindly for the replies.......

Re: Finn Comfort is a good sandal (where them everyday) eom

Mahatmelissama on 5/01/02 at 17:04 (082027)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 15:55 (080484)

Liam, did you get your Birkenstocks fitted at a Birkenstock store? It can make a big difference to get them fitted by someone good at it. In my case, a 40 is too long, but a 39 Regular is a teeny bit too narrow and my feet slip over the edges on the sides just barely. I had been wearing 40's from online, but the bumps hit me in the wrong place.

Then I went to the Birkenstock store, they put me in a 39 Regular in the Grenada style which is more closed in the area where my foot was slightly too wide. This was much better. They said I probably couldn't wear some styles of Birkenstocks, but my Grenadas are very comfortable for me. Also some other Birkenstocks that I have bought in the the high arch Tatami footbed have slightly different 'bump placement' and are fine for me in a 40.

I am wondering in your case, if there is a 40 with a more restrictive upper that would hold your foot in a position so that your heel was in the cup.

If not, how about a Dansko sandal? I have never worn Dansko's (I have four pairs of Birkenstock sandals). However some people here really love Dansko.

Carole C

Liam T. on 4/20/02 at 17:00 (080491)

Yes, Carole......this is the birkenstock store, everything did look ok in the store but when I walked around with it at home there were problems.
I went back to the store today but it was a mad house, they were very busy, so I might go back another time during the week, see if another style is better. I might go over to walmart I hear they have a knockoff of the birks, you never know. I'll have to look around for the dansko, see ifs available around here wannna make sure i try it.....
thanks liam

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 17:39 (080494)

Those knockoff of the birks at Walmart looked horrid to me. I saw them but was so turned off that I would not even put one on my foot long enough to try it. The footbed doesn't have as much depth to it, and doesn't look like it is even cork. On the other hand, whatever works! The price is certainly right.

If you can find out at the Birkenstock store what Birkenstock works for you, maybe you could save money by then ordering them online from the German site. Many of the American sites have Arizonas for $90 US, for example, and that is what they cost in my Birkenstock store, but the German site is considerably cheaper.

I'm sure the Dansko's are around somewhere, but I'm not familiar with Toronto. Here's a site that carries a few of the Dansko styles.

http://www.shoobedoo.com/

I'd look for a better site, but I'm outta here! Got a date tonight. :)

Bye for now,

Carole C

Re: Birks sandals didn't go, any other good sandals?

Anne H on 4/20/02 at 21:51 (080516)

I went to a Birk store today in VA. I found out that the Arizona is not a good fit for me either, the 39 reg is too wide and the 40 narrow somehow has my outside toes touching the rim which I walk. I did find a couple of other styles that were great and bought the micro fiber blk suede look Florida in a 39 which fit perfectly. There was another style that I liked but they did not have black which is what I want right now. Cost me almost $100 at this store but they seem to know what they are doing and was not as far away as I thought. So will start wearing them tomorrow for an hour or two. Oh they feel very comfortable btw, nice and soft. I tried on another paid with two straps in the blk patent and they felt hard.

Dan L on 4/24/02 at 20:28 (081011)

I have tried Birks. They are pretty good but rather hard and have to be broken in for most people. I discovered Mephisto Sandals about 2 years ago. They are fantastic!!! Lots of support and cushiony as well. VERY comfortable when compared to anything else I've tried. But they are the most expensive as well (but worth it). Good luck to you!!
Dan in SC

Liam T. on 4/25/02 at 08:00 (081060)

Thanks kindly for the replies.......

Re: Finn Comfort is a good sandal (where them everyday) eom

Mahatmelissama on 5/01/02 at 17:04 (082027)