Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

854s

Posted by Sandy H. on 4/20/02 at 22:26 (080519)

The New Balance 854s appear to deliberately flex around the ball/big toe. You can see there is a divot in the sole just where your big toe is. Does anyone know if this is good design for your feet? 5 months ago I could wear them because I was having pain in the ball of my foot and my big toe but now the pain there has gone I can wear these again. Should I stick with 854s given they put pressure on big toe? Right now I'm using them to give my big toe a workout every now and again but not sure if that is the right thing to do. I suppose if your shoes flex at the front they don't flex in the middle and strain your PF but not sure.

Re: 854s

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 23:44 (080527)

I know that a good shoe for PF is supposed to bend where your foot naturally bends, at the ball of your foot, and not bend at the arch of the foot.

But I also had a pair of 854's. I noticed that they seemed to put a lot of stress on my big toe that I hadn't felt before (or since). It seemed like it was not only where the shoe bent, but also just the way I walked in that shoe increased the stress on my big toe even more. The ball of my foot right by my big toe sort of acted as a pivot point.

I returned them for other reasons, basically because they also had me 'walking like a duck', with my toes pointed laterally and my foot at nearly 90 degrees from how it should have been. I guess my gait just does not match what is suited to an 854.

I now have 879's, which also bend where my foot naturally bends but for some reason I haven't felt as much stress on my big toe. They are a more neutral cushioning shoe than the 854's though, so they might not be right for your degree of pronation (which is substantial if my recollection of your past posts is correct).

Basically, in answer to your question, I dunno? Does it seem like you might be starting to develop problems again with your big toe? Maybe you should only wear them a few hours a day until you see how things go. That way you might be able to detect any big toe problems before they get too bad.

I sure liked the heel in the 854. It seemed like one of the best shoes I've had, for somebody, but my feet are not right for it.

Carole C

Carmen on 4/21/02 at 11:34 (080559)

I have not hadany trouble with the 854's...that's strange about the big toe...

sandy h on 4/21/02 at 23:00 (080619)

I overpronote a bit and have a stiff foot that doesn't collapse well on impact because of overuse injuries around my ankles, referred back pain down my legs and one leg longer than the other. That's why I prefer motion control shoes to orthotics as I need cushioning more than correction while my back, feet, ankles get back into shape. I agree with you guys on the heel of the 854s which are better than Asics 2060s but not enough toe support.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 23:44 (080527)

I know that a good shoe for PF is supposed to bend where your foot naturally bends, at the ball of your foot, and not bend at the arch of the foot.

But I also had a pair of 854's. I noticed that they seemed to put a lot of stress on my big toe that I hadn't felt before (or since). It seemed like it was not only where the shoe bent, but also just the way I walked in that shoe increased the stress on my big toe even more. The ball of my foot right by my big toe sort of acted as a pivot point.

I returned them for other reasons, basically because they also had me 'walking like a duck', with my toes pointed laterally and my foot at nearly 90 degrees from how it should have been. I guess my gait just does not match what is suited to an 854.

I now have 879's, which also bend where my foot naturally bends but for some reason I haven't felt as much stress on my big toe. They are a more neutral cushioning shoe than the 854's though, so they might not be right for your degree of pronation (which is substantial if my recollection of your past posts is correct).

Basically, in answer to your question, I dunno? Does it seem like you might be starting to develop problems again with your big toe? Maybe you should only wear them a few hours a day until you see how things go. That way you might be able to detect any big toe problems before they get too bad.

I sure liked the heel in the 854. It seemed like one of the best shoes I've had, for somebody, but my feet are not right for it.

Carole C

Carmen on 4/21/02 at 11:34 (080559)

I have not hadany trouble with the 854's...that's strange about the big toe...

sandy h on 4/21/02 at 23:00 (080619)

I overpronote a bit and have a stiff foot that doesn't collapse well on impact because of overuse injuries around my ankles, referred back pain down my legs and one leg longer than the other. That's why I prefer motion control shoes to orthotics as I need cushioning more than correction while my back, feet, ankles get back into shape. I agree with you guys on the heel of the 854s which are better than Asics 2060s but not enough toe support.