Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

has anyone experience more pain after soaking in a very hot hot tub?

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 4/21/02 at 01:03 (080534)

I am still recovering from all the stretching I overdid on Wed...I soaked in my mom's hottub tonight for about 20 minutes. My feet now hurt worse than before! They feel tingely and very sore.

Weird...I thought a nice HOT soak is suppose to HELP.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I am so frustrated...needed to vent. Thanks for listening and let me know
if any of you have had this experience.

-Melissa

Re: has anyone experience more pain after soaking in a very hot hot tub?

AndrewS on 4/21/02 at 07:09 (080538)

Yes. after all of my hot soaks, I feel swelling and more pain. THen is settles down. I suspect this is to be expected sine hot soaks will cause swelling and blood to flow to the heated area.

Sharon W on 4/21/02 at 09:51 (080543)

I second what Andrew said. I used to love soaking in a very hot tub, but now I make the water only warm. Hot water feels good right at first, but then my feet seem to swell and get sore. This is probably because I have TTS that is (at least partially) caused by a varicose vein in my tarsal tunnel.

My pod taught me a little trick, though, that seems to work remarkably well for me. She said I could soak in hot water if I followed it with icing. If I understood her correctly, she said there is something about the sudden temperature change that causes the blood vessels to stop dilating and shrink back. So when I feel I just HAVE to soak my feet in hot water I will bring an ice bag with me to the tub and after 15-20 minutes I will pull out the sore foot (well, now I have TWO of them) and ice for about the same amount of time. The ice bag I use is slightly insulated so the plastic of the ice bag is not immediately touching my skin. Doing it that way seems to allow me to soak in hot water, without making my foot hurt.

-- Sharon

Carmen on 4/21/02 at 11:30 (080558)

Heat increases inflammation....just ice after a bath. That will help.

Re: Is it bad to soak in a hot tub (worsefor PF)?

Mahatmelissama on 4/21/02 at 22:02 (080613)

I heard heat helps it heal...confusing...what a confusing malady this is!

Re: Ice after exercise, heat before bed

sandy h on 4/21/02 at 22:45 (080616)

Well my routine is to ice after exercise (never before) and to heat before going to bed (ie after you've had a bit of time to relax and want to relax your feat muscles even more.) I think the heat doesn't help inflamation of PF but it does relax the muscles around it so their is less tension in your foot. Seems to help.

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 07:37 (080632)

Actually the heat does increase the blood flow to the area....also relaxes the muscles BUT you need to ice afterwards...to get the inflammation down.
You might try contrast baths...do a search on the board as these have been discussed in detail before.

Sharon W on 4/22/02 at 10:28 (080642)

Carmen,

I think that's what my pod was talking about, because she said to repeat the hot water/ice cycle twice.

-- Sharon

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 12:49 (080661)

YUP! Sounds like it to me! ;-)

AndrewS on 4/21/02 at 07:09 (080538)

Yes. after all of my hot soaks, I feel swelling and more pain. THen is settles down. I suspect this is to be expected sine hot soaks will cause swelling and blood to flow to the heated area.

Sharon W on 4/21/02 at 09:51 (080543)

I second what Andrew said. I used to love soaking in a very hot tub, but now I make the water only warm. Hot water feels good right at first, but then my feet seem to swell and get sore. This is probably because I have TTS that is (at least partially) caused by a varicose vein in my tarsal tunnel.

My pod taught me a little trick, though, that seems to work remarkably well for me. She said I could soak in hot water if I followed it with icing. If I understood her correctly, she said there is something about the sudden temperature change that causes the blood vessels to stop dilating and shrink back. So when I feel I just HAVE to soak my feet in hot water I will bring an ice bag with me to the tub and after 15-20 minutes I will pull out the sore foot (well, now I have TWO of them) and ice for about the same amount of time. The ice bag I use is slightly insulated so the plastic of the ice bag is not immediately touching my skin. Doing it that way seems to allow me to soak in hot water, without making my foot hurt.

-- Sharon

Carmen on 4/21/02 at 11:30 (080558)

Heat increases inflammation....just ice after a bath. That will help.

Mahatmelissama on 4/21/02 at 22:02 (080613)

I heard heat helps it heal...confusing...what a confusing malady this is!

Re: Ice after exercise, heat before bed

sandy h on 4/21/02 at 22:45 (080616)

Well my routine is to ice after exercise (never before) and to heat before going to bed (ie after you've had a bit of time to relax and want to relax your feat muscles even more.) I think the heat doesn't help inflamation of PF but it does relax the muscles around it so their is less tension in your foot. Seems to help.

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 07:37 (080632)

Actually the heat does increase the blood flow to the area....also relaxes the muscles BUT you need to ice afterwards...to get the inflammation down.
You might try contrast baths...do a search on the board as these have been discussed in detail before.

Sharon W on 4/22/02 at 10:28 (080642)

Carmen,

I think that's what my pod was talking about, because she said to repeat the hot water/ice cycle twice.

-- Sharon

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 12:49 (080661)

YUP! Sounds like it to me! ;-)