Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Had my surgery on 4/19

Posted by michelec on 4/21/02 at 17:49 (080589)

Hi everyone. I have only posted a few times but wanted to let you know that I had open PF procedure on Friday. So far so good. I am in a splint right now and don't have much pain although I've been taking my pain meds like clockwork so as not to get into much pain. It's been a while since this body has been on crutches and boy is there ever a big difference between age 16 and age 37!!!!! I just fell up the steps on my way to the computer to post this. Well, falling up the steps is way better than falling down them! I protected my bad foot really well though, I must say.

I go back to the doctor's on Wednesday to be casted after he inspects the incision.

Will post more later.

Re: Great am glad to hear /now relax and do as Dr. says

Tammie on 4/21/02 at 18:34 (080590)

I am glad to hear you are doing ok! Remember patience is a good key to get the best outcome! Just relax and enjoy the rest period! Elevate and ice as needed and try not to fall on the crutches!(smile) I surely understand about different from 16 yes indeed I hear that !Good luck and glad things are going well you know I will be praying for your feet to be as happy as you! Take care

michelec on 4/22/02 at 08:21 (080635)

Thanks Tammie for the kind words. I will try my best to relax -- maybe watch a movie this afternoon!

Re: Had my surgery on 4/19

trish e on 4/22/02 at 11:44 (080649)

i agree with the age thing,glad to hear it went well and as far as the stair thing i live on the 3rd floor and i did the same then next time i went up and down on my rear.good luck to ya

kay on 4/22/02 at 12:10 (080653)

let us know how you are doing. i am thinking of having the surgery but after all the bad stuff i've heard about it i am scared. i have to do something though. i cannot be on my feet for 10 minutes without having burning pain in both feet that last all day and night.
ossatron is out since my insurance won't cover it. i am barely making ends meet right now with sick pay.
so please let us know of your progress.
thanks and good luck
kay

michelec on 4/22/02 at 14:01 (080672)

Thanks everyone for your support. Kay, this message board is a great thing but try to remember that most likely those people who've had surgery with great results have moved on with their lives and no longer post to the board. I am gonna try to remember to post regularly because I think it's important to get the word out that surgery isn't always a bad thing. After reading some of the horrible stories on this board, I wasn't sure I wanted to go through with the surgery. And please, I implore you, do NOT view the surgery videos!!! I had at one time considered being a nurse and surgeries, blood, etc do not bother me but this hit too close to home. I could only stomach about 5 seconds and had to turn it off. I don't advise anyone considering surgery to watch the video beforehand. This would be for any surgery, not just foot surgery. Remember, most doctors genuinely care about their patients and want them to get well. You have to have faith in your doctor. There's nothing wrong with 2nd or 3rd opinions. I have complete faith in my doctor and I had to remind myself of that after reading all the negatives against surgery. If you've tried all the non-surgical treatments with no help, then like me you have to consider the next step. And most of us can't afford any treatment options not covered by insurance. I wish you luck with your feet.

Pam B on 4/22/02 at 19:22 (080740)

Hi Michele, I hope you are coming along nicely........I am like you, I am trying to keep coming back to post my progress so others can see that there is good in some surgery......I too could not afford any treatments not covered by insurance.......so far I am not sorry even though I may need another surgery on my ankle.......the heel surgery was the right thing to do......I hope your surgery brings you much deserved relief..... take care and keep us up to date :)

john h on 4/23/02 at 10:03 (080806)

Kay: do you live on the west coast or near there. I would sure try and figure out how to come up with the $450 for treatment in Vancouver for ESWT. Many people are cured with surgery. A lot more than are made worse but the downside with ESWT is minimal compared with surgery. I sure wish you the best and I clearly remember what it is like to be in pain after 10 minutes on my feet. That will drag you down both physically and mentally. Hang tough and do the things you can as time has a way of making us better even if it does not cure us.

Laurie R on 4/23/02 at 11:33 (080825)

Dear Michele, I wish you only the best , please let us know what your doctor has to say when you go on Wed .... Laurie R

michelec on 4/24/02 at 08:36 (080924)

Hi everyone. I had my visit with the doctor. The incision looked good -- as well as can be expected this soon! I can move my foot (toes, ankle side to side) without pain. He put me in a walking cast but told me to continue using the crutches. He said I could start putting weight on it gradually, but no more than 50% weight to start. I feel like a new woman being able to put my foot down. It is only mildly painful; still I am not going to push too fast. He said if I stay totally off the foot then I could end up getting scar tissue built right back up, but if I do too much then I could hinder the healing. The cast will stay on for two weeks and then he'll take it off and most likely remove the stitches if I've healed well. I feel very blessed because my husband and son have been so supportive and helpful and so many friends have brought us dinners which is such a helpful thing. It is definitely easier when you have a great support network. You all on the board, included! Thanks for the continued well wishes.

Pam B on 4/25/02 at 06:03 (081043)

Hi Michele, I am so glad things are going so well for you :) just do what they say and let nature take care of the rest :) as a recent victim to surgery in Feb, I know how hard this time is following the surgery....so much time spent sitting is rough on a person....it sounds like you are well on your way to a beginning of an end to alot of your suffering and I know how you feel.....take care and keep us posted, OK?? Pam

Tammie on 4/21/02 at 18:34 (080590)

I am glad to hear you are doing ok! Remember patience is a good key to get the best outcome! Just relax and enjoy the rest period! Elevate and ice as needed and try not to fall on the crutches!(smile) I surely understand about different from 16 yes indeed I hear that !Good luck and glad things are going well you know I will be praying for your feet to be as happy as you! Take care

michelec on 4/22/02 at 08:21 (080635)

Thanks Tammie for the kind words. I will try my best to relax -- maybe watch a movie this afternoon!

trish e on 4/22/02 at 11:44 (080649)

i agree with the age thing,glad to hear it went well and as far as the stair thing i live on the 3rd floor and i did the same then next time i went up and down on my rear.good luck to ya

kay on 4/22/02 at 12:10 (080653)

let us know how you are doing. i am thinking of having the surgery but after all the bad stuff i've heard about it i am scared. i have to do something though. i cannot be on my feet for 10 minutes without having burning pain in both feet that last all day and night.
ossatron is out since my insurance won't cover it. i am barely making ends meet right now with sick pay.
so please let us know of your progress.
thanks and good luck
kay

michelec on 4/22/02 at 14:01 (080672)

Thanks everyone for your support. Kay, this message board is a great thing but try to remember that most likely those people who've had surgery with great results have moved on with their lives and no longer post to the board. I am gonna try to remember to post regularly because I think it's important to get the word out that surgery isn't always a bad thing. After reading some of the horrible stories on this board, I wasn't sure I wanted to go through with the surgery. And please, I implore you, do NOT view the surgery videos!!! I had at one time considered being a nurse and surgeries, blood, etc do not bother me but this hit too close to home. I could only stomach about 5 seconds and had to turn it off. I don't advise anyone considering surgery to watch the video beforehand. This would be for any surgery, not just foot surgery. Remember, most doctors genuinely care about their patients and want them to get well. You have to have faith in your doctor. There's nothing wrong with 2nd or 3rd opinions. I have complete faith in my doctor and I had to remind myself of that after reading all the negatives against surgery. If you've tried all the non-surgical treatments with no help, then like me you have to consider the next step. And most of us can't afford any treatment options not covered by insurance. I wish you luck with your feet.

Pam B on 4/22/02 at 19:22 (080740)

Hi Michele, I hope you are coming along nicely........I am like you, I am trying to keep coming back to post my progress so others can see that there is good in some surgery......I too could not afford any treatments not covered by insurance.......so far I am not sorry even though I may need another surgery on my ankle.......the heel surgery was the right thing to do......I hope your surgery brings you much deserved relief..... take care and keep us up to date :)

john h on 4/23/02 at 10:03 (080806)

Kay: do you live on the west coast or near there. I would sure try and figure out how to come up with the $450 for treatment in Vancouver for ESWT. Many people are cured with surgery. A lot more than are made worse but the downside with ESWT is minimal compared with surgery. I sure wish you the best and I clearly remember what it is like to be in pain after 10 minutes on my feet. That will drag you down both physically and mentally. Hang tough and do the things you can as time has a way of making us better even if it does not cure us.

Laurie R on 4/23/02 at 11:33 (080825)

Dear Michele, I wish you only the best , please let us know what your doctor has to say when you go on Wed .... Laurie R

michelec on 4/24/02 at 08:36 (080924)

Hi everyone. I had my visit with the doctor. The incision looked good -- as well as can be expected this soon! I can move my foot (toes, ankle side to side) without pain. He put me in a walking cast but told me to continue using the crutches. He said I could start putting weight on it gradually, but no more than 50% weight to start. I feel like a new woman being able to put my foot down. It is only mildly painful; still I am not going to push too fast. He said if I stay totally off the foot then I could end up getting scar tissue built right back up, but if I do too much then I could hinder the healing. The cast will stay on for two weeks and then he'll take it off and most likely remove the stitches if I've healed well. I feel very blessed because my husband and son have been so supportive and helpful and so many friends have brought us dinners which is such a helpful thing. It is definitely easier when you have a great support network. You all on the board, included! Thanks for the continued well wishes.

Pam B on 4/25/02 at 06:03 (081043)

Hi Michele, I am so glad things are going so well for you :) just do what they say and let nature take care of the rest :) as a recent victim to surgery in Feb, I know how hard this time is following the surgery....so much time spent sitting is rough on a person....it sounds like you are well on your way to a beginning of an end to alot of your suffering and I know how you feel.....take care and keep us posted, OK?? Pam