Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carole C./Polyurethane midsoles

Posted by adam p on 4/22/02 at 12:22 (080657)

I did not forget about your question re pronation, Carole.

I don't know how to answer it. I'm concerned about
finding an athletic shoe the midsole into which my
heel won't sink at 'heel-strike'. A combo midsole
with harder material aft and softer material fore
might be ideal . . .

I get the impression polyurethane is harder than EVA.

AP

Re: Carole C./Polyurethane midsoles

Carole C in NOLA on 4/22/02 at 12:30 (080658)

Well now I am confused. What post are you referring to? Was it on this inserts/orthotics/shoes board, or on another one? I'm sorry! I just don't remember what we were talking about and I am as lost as if I walked in on the middle of a conversation. Thanks.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/22/02 at 12:42 (080659)

Ah! Never mine. I found it a few pages down. Here's the link:

bbt.cgi?n=77803

It sounds like you are interested in a shoe that is not a cushioned shoe.

Again, I am still unfamiliar with the Avanti shoe, personally. Have you tried on the shoe that you are interested in, during the past month or so since your post? If it is unavailable in your area, you might be able to order it online, try it on, and if it does not work for you, to return it. You could call and find out.

Carole C

adam p on 4/22/02 at 12:53 (080662)

I have not tried them on. And back to 'pronation', I think
the answer would depend on the shoe-wearer's weight, activity,
the rest of the shoes design, etc.

I'm frustrated. E-mail I sent to Hersey Custom Shoes did
not go through . . .

Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain . . . eh

AP

Carole C on 4/22/02 at 16:00 (080689)

I do not know much about athletic shoes. I got the idea from this message board that high arched supinators generally need a cushioning athletic shoe, whereas relatively flatfooted pronators need for their shoes to be firmer and posted so that they do not pronate. That was behind my question. I guess I was just curious about what this midsole would do, and for what kind of gait it would be most suited.

I am wearing a neutral cushioning shoe right now, the NB 879. Although I loved the firm way the heel felt in another New Balance shoe, the NB 854, and felt it provided sufficient cushioning, it was too heavily posted for me. The 879 which I ended up with instead feels a little mushy though I can wear it comfortably now that I am mostly recovered. Still, I can appreciate your desire for firmness.

How discouraging about the e-mail to Hersey. It could be that there was a letter transposed or maybe their e-mail was temporarily down. Maybe you could phone them.

Something that really surprised me about athletic shoes is that they don't feel like I thought they would from reading about their various qualities online. For example, after reading online I thought I'd prefer the New Balance SL-2 last, which is supposed to have more arch support. But, I prefer the older SL-1 last which provides my foot with more side support and just seems to fit better for some reason. I think that the best way for me to tell if an athletic shoe will work for me is to try it on, because on me they just don't feel the way they are supposed to.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/22/02 at 12:30 (080658)

Well now I am confused. What post are you referring to? Was it on this inserts/orthotics/shoes board, or on another one? I'm sorry! I just don't remember what we were talking about and I am as lost as if I walked in on the middle of a conversation. Thanks.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/22/02 at 12:42 (080659)

Ah! Never mine. I found it a few pages down. Here's the link:

bbt.cgi?n=77803

It sounds like you are interested in a shoe that is not a cushioned shoe.

Again, I am still unfamiliar with the Avanti shoe, personally. Have you tried on the shoe that you are interested in, during the past month or so since your post? If it is unavailable in your area, you might be able to order it online, try it on, and if it does not work for you, to return it. You could call and find out.

Carole C

adam p on 4/22/02 at 12:53 (080662)

I have not tried them on. And back to 'pronation', I think
the answer would depend on the shoe-wearer's weight, activity,
the rest of the shoes design, etc.

I'm frustrated. E-mail I sent to Hersey Custom Shoes did
not go through . . .

Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain . . . eh

AP

Carole C on 4/22/02 at 16:00 (080689)

I do not know much about athletic shoes. I got the idea from this message board that high arched supinators generally need a cushioning athletic shoe, whereas relatively flatfooted pronators need for their shoes to be firmer and posted so that they do not pronate. That was behind my question. I guess I was just curious about what this midsole would do, and for what kind of gait it would be most suited.

I am wearing a neutral cushioning shoe right now, the NB 879. Although I loved the firm way the heel felt in another New Balance shoe, the NB 854, and felt it provided sufficient cushioning, it was too heavily posted for me. The 879 which I ended up with instead feels a little mushy though I can wear it comfortably now that I am mostly recovered. Still, I can appreciate your desire for firmness.

How discouraging about the e-mail to Hersey. It could be that there was a letter transposed or maybe their e-mail was temporarily down. Maybe you could phone them.

Something that really surprised me about athletic shoes is that they don't feel like I thought they would from reading about their various qualities online. For example, after reading online I thought I'd prefer the New Balance SL-2 last, which is supposed to have more arch support. But, I prefer the older SL-1 last which provides my foot with more side support and just seems to fit better for some reason. I think that the best way for me to tell if an athletic shoe will work for me is to try it on, because on me they just don't feel the way they are supposed to.

Carole C