Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain...what's the worst that could happen?

Posted by TimK on 4/22/02 at 13:39 (080664)

I am 47 and have been running about 25 miles a week for 1.5 years. I quit smoking about 3 months earlier than that, have lost 70 lbs and feel great...except for my right foot. I know what has caused the problem. I had poor shoes running on hills while heavy. The weight has stayed off for a year, I have no desire to ever smoke again, and I love runningand as of now have no intention of quitting, even for a few weeks. My problem is running through the pain...is it really bad? What is the worst that could happen? If I can be relatively confident that when I am 67 I will still be walking / jogging then I could be comfortable running now even while in pain. SO there is that little nag in the back of my head while I run that is probably more painful than the heel. It hurts, sometimes really bad, but at this point regaining the weight is more painful for me to think about than the actual pain in my heel. So my question is again, what's the worst that could happen? Should I be concerned?

Re: Pain...what's the worst that could happen?

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/22/02 at 14:36 (080682)

We like to see patients maintain a reasonable level of activity if possible. The important question is... are there biomechanical problems still to be corrected, which, if ignored, will cause the problem to recur?
Consider getting a thorough biomechanical eval. by a good sports podiatrist to see where you stand.
Ed

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 14:58 (080685)

I am not a doctor but sometimes it's up to us sufferers and posters to just lay it out there for new visitors. In my own opinion if you continue to run through your pain without proper diagnosis and evaluation by your doctor you could be in for more trouble than you know.
I would back off the running immediately until you find out what the diagnosis is.....The worst that could happen? Remember pain is the signal our body gives us when something is WRONG.
Gaining weight is a scary thing and the accomplishments you have made are astounding! Quitting smoking AND lost weight? You are abviously a true go getter and winner at life...at this point though it is more important to take care of the 'problem' in your feet.

You can take this with a grain of salt...but coming from someone who tried to 'keep on keeping on' (running......treadmill, stair stepper etc)and is now exercise free for almost a year (not by choice) I would cease activity now.....just for now.

David G. on 4/22/02 at 15:27 (080686)

I'm at a point in my life (38) where I'm quasi-disabled. Don't let it get to that. If you read enough of this message board, you'll see that I'm not the only one. Take some time off, let yourself heel and take up swimming until you're ready to run again.

TimK on 4/23/02 at 07:37 (080777)

Thanks for your input. As I read through the messages posted I am finding that there is concern of ignoring the pain. I have considered swimming, but when I am breathing deeply and consistently for a long period of time, i.e 45 min to an hour, the last thing I want to worry about is inhaling water. Are there any other aerobic excercises that do not depend on feet? But my real question is how much time does one take to heal? I have read in my research that in some cases it takes over a year. I have been running on a treadmill as opposed to the hilly neighborhood for the past month and although the pain is not gone it has reduced tremendously. In fact, the only time I am really pain free is when I am running. As one who appears to have done what I am doing now you seem to be the best one to offer advice, short of seeing a doctor, which is no my list of things to do. Also, could you define 'quasi-disabled'.? Does that mean you can't work or walk with some kind of aid or just hobble or what? Thanks again. Glad I found this sight.

TimK on 4/23/02 at 08:01 (080778)

Could you read my response to DavidG? I think that maybe what you did is what I am doing and I don't want to be excercise free even for a day but I'm also realistic enough, (having read many of these posts), that what I'm doing is probably not wise. I'm also a, as my wife would say, stubborn male. Having read my comments to DavidG, what in your opinion is a good way to continue excercise that does not reguire feet as the main tool. Swimming is not an option for me. Water and breathing deeply do not mix. Thanks.

Re: Tim K

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 10:16 (080807)

To answer your post below...

Well swimming bored me to tears...but at one point it was the only thing that made me not feel crazy. I worked very hard to get in shape after quitting smoking (after 15 years), and I lost about 15 pounds and 10% body fat.
When I got PF the first thing I said was how can I keep exercising? HOW?
I needed the endorphins to survive! so I thought.
I stopped everything for awhile because at first I didn't pay attention and tried to work out through the pain...this did NOT work and made me worse.
Now I do weight training.....NON weight bearing. You can get your heart rate up by doing free weights and cable weights combined with ab work....BUT you need to stay off your feet while doing the exercises. There are many many exercises you can do to get a good work out. VERY importantly...WATCH your diet and eating habits and you may not need to worry so much.
ALSO try water aerobics. You wouldn't have to hold your breath and worry about all that stuff b/c your head would stay mostly above water. OR walking in the water...great for toning and aerobic activity. Can you walk with little pain? Try slow walking....on dirt paths or soft terrain to lessen the impact on the fascia.
But I would quit the running...saying it doesn't hurt during the running
itself doesn't mean it's not hurting the fascia AFTER the run is over.
make sure you are icing no matter what activity you do....very important. Especially in the early stages.
AS far as how long you take to heal?? If I had the answer to that Iwould CHARGE $$ for the answer so I could be RICH! ha ha....no really.....Everyone's case is different. BUT a lot depends on how you treat the injury in the beginning...you could shorten your healing time by doing the right thing now.
As I mentioned read some of the posts...some people are in BAD shape...not to scare you but you should not take this lightly.
Word of caution about the Podiatrist...(You DO need to go...no question about that and SOON to get xrays and check for spurs) but be wary about what they say...some docs treat PF with a grain of salt and as you can see here....it is more serious than that for a lot of people.
Keep in touchwith us and let us know how you are....

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/22/02 at 14:36 (080682)

We like to see patients maintain a reasonable level of activity if possible. The important question is... are there biomechanical problems still to be corrected, which, if ignored, will cause the problem to recur?
Consider getting a thorough biomechanical eval. by a good sports podiatrist to see where you stand.
Ed

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 14:58 (080685)

I am not a doctor but sometimes it's up to us sufferers and posters to just lay it out there for new visitors. In my own opinion if you continue to run through your pain without proper diagnosis and evaluation by your doctor you could be in for more trouble than you know.
I would back off the running immediately until you find out what the diagnosis is.....The worst that could happen? Remember pain is the signal our body gives us when something is WRONG.
Gaining weight is a scary thing and the accomplishments you have made are astounding! Quitting smoking AND lost weight? You are abviously a true go getter and winner at life...at this point though it is more important to take care of the 'problem' in your feet.

You can take this with a grain of salt...but coming from someone who tried to 'keep on keeping on' (running......treadmill, stair stepper etc)and is now exercise free for almost a year (not by choice) I would cease activity now.....just for now.

David G. on 4/22/02 at 15:27 (080686)

I'm at a point in my life (38) where I'm quasi-disabled. Don't let it get to that. If you read enough of this message board, you'll see that I'm not the only one. Take some time off, let yourself heel and take up swimming until you're ready to run again.

TimK on 4/23/02 at 07:37 (080777)

Thanks for your input. As I read through the messages posted I am finding that there is concern of ignoring the pain. I have considered swimming, but when I am breathing deeply and consistently for a long period of time, i.e 45 min to an hour, the last thing I want to worry about is inhaling water. Are there any other aerobic excercises that do not depend on feet? But my real question is how much time does one take to heal? I have read in my research that in some cases it takes over a year. I have been running on a treadmill as opposed to the hilly neighborhood for the past month and although the pain is not gone it has reduced tremendously. In fact, the only time I am really pain free is when I am running. As one who appears to have done what I am doing now you seem to be the best one to offer advice, short of seeing a doctor, which is no my list of things to do. Also, could you define 'quasi-disabled'.? Does that mean you can't work or walk with some kind of aid or just hobble or what? Thanks again. Glad I found this sight.

TimK on 4/23/02 at 08:01 (080778)

Could you read my response to DavidG? I think that maybe what you did is what I am doing and I don't want to be excercise free even for a day but I'm also realistic enough, (having read many of these posts), that what I'm doing is probably not wise. I'm also a, as my wife would say, stubborn male. Having read my comments to DavidG, what in your opinion is a good way to continue excercise that does not reguire feet as the main tool. Swimming is not an option for me. Water and breathing deeply do not mix. Thanks.

Re: Tim K

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 10:16 (080807)

To answer your post below...

Well swimming bored me to tears...but at one point it was the only thing that made me not feel crazy. I worked very hard to get in shape after quitting smoking (after 15 years), and I lost about 15 pounds and 10% body fat.
When I got PF the first thing I said was how can I keep exercising? HOW?
I needed the endorphins to survive! so I thought.
I stopped everything for awhile because at first I didn't pay attention and tried to work out through the pain...this did NOT work and made me worse.
Now I do weight training.....NON weight bearing. You can get your heart rate up by doing free weights and cable weights combined with ab work....BUT you need to stay off your feet while doing the exercises. There are many many exercises you can do to get a good work out. VERY importantly...WATCH your diet and eating habits and you may not need to worry so much.
ALSO try water aerobics. You wouldn't have to hold your breath and worry about all that stuff b/c your head would stay mostly above water. OR walking in the water...great for toning and aerobic activity. Can you walk with little pain? Try slow walking....on dirt paths or soft terrain to lessen the impact on the fascia.
But I would quit the running...saying it doesn't hurt during the running
itself doesn't mean it's not hurting the fascia AFTER the run is over.
make sure you are icing no matter what activity you do....very important. Especially in the early stages.
AS far as how long you take to heal?? If I had the answer to that Iwould CHARGE $$ for the answer so I could be RICH! ha ha....no really.....Everyone's case is different. BUT a lot depends on how you treat the injury in the beginning...you could shorten your healing time by doing the right thing now.
As I mentioned read some of the posts...some people are in BAD shape...not to scare you but you should not take this lightly.
Word of caution about the Podiatrist...(You DO need to go...no question about that and SOON to get xrays and check for spurs) but be wary about what they say...some docs treat PF with a grain of salt and as you can see here....it is more serious than that for a lot of people.
Keep in touchwith us and let us know how you are....