Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Retirement

Posted by John k on 4/22/02 at 13:51 (080667)

I was just approved for disability retirement in part due to my feet. It has been a strange trip from postal worker to disabled person. I would not wish it on anyone. I went to Vietnam when I was 19 and ended up being disabled as a postal worker. I knew God was saving me for something!

Re: Retirement

Suzanne D on 4/22/02 at 16:18 (080696)

I am glad you were approved, John, so you can receive benefits but sorry that it had to be this way. I wish for you better days and something new which you can do that will be challenging and fulfilling.

Suzanne :-)

BrianG on 4/22/02 at 16:53 (080702)

John,

Glad they didn't jerk you around on the disabiliy pay. Did you get SSD, or another type of disability? It's bad you had to apply, but good that you got it. Any helpful hints for me, I'm still waiting on SSD. Good luck with the new life.

BrianG

Re: Retirement may be a blessing

Mahatmelissama on 4/22/02 at 17:22 (080708)

God let this happen for some purpose. May He be glorified in this...may you be blessed beyond measure!

When God closes one door....you know the rest! (He OPENS A NEW ONE)

I wish myself you were back at work (I know from the men around me that it is hard for a man to not be able to work).

Maybe you can take a class in writing or something and earn a living that way?
Maybe God will open a ministry you never even thought of.

God bless.

John k on 4/22/02 at 19:53 (080745)

Yes, I got SSD. My hint would be to get a psychiatrist to say that you have depression as a consequence of your injuries to your feet. If you can show that you have emotional problems due to your limitations, pain etc. you would have a better chance with SSD. I got it the first go round because I pulled out all the stops. You have to do what you have to do!

Kathy G on 4/23/02 at 09:29 (080792)

Well, happy retirement, John, even if it wasn't voluntary! A mail carrier with PF - I can't think of anything much worse. I'm glad you were able to retire, with benefits, without too much of a hassle.

Hope you are able to relax and enjoy yourself (off your feet, naturally!) now that everything is resolved.

Best Wishes!

BrianG on 4/23/02 at 15:39 (080849)

Thanks John, sounds like I'm on the right track. My SSD lawyer insisted that I stress the depression. This is why we pay them the big bucks!

Thanks
Brian

John k on 4/23/02 at 19:24 (080881)

Unfortunately they tried to fire me first and only after I hired a lawyer did I get to keep my retirement.

John k on 4/23/02 at 19:26 (080882)

Yes cause SSA will send you for an IME regarding the depression. If you can't walk it is quite depressing.

John k on 4/23/02 at 19:26 (080883)

Thanks, every time one door closes another one opens.

Suzanne D on 4/22/02 at 16:18 (080696)

I am glad you were approved, John, so you can receive benefits but sorry that it had to be this way. I wish for you better days and something new which you can do that will be challenging and fulfilling.

Suzanne :-)

BrianG on 4/22/02 at 16:53 (080702)

John,

Glad they didn't jerk you around on the disabiliy pay. Did you get SSD, or another type of disability? It's bad you had to apply, but good that you got it. Any helpful hints for me, I'm still waiting on SSD. Good luck with the new life.

BrianG

Mahatmelissama on 4/22/02 at 17:22 (080708)

God let this happen for some purpose. May He be glorified in this...may you be blessed beyond measure!

When God closes one door....you know the rest! (He OPENS A NEW ONE)

I wish myself you were back at work (I know from the men around me that it is hard for a man to not be able to work).

Maybe you can take a class in writing or something and earn a living that way?
Maybe God will open a ministry you never even thought of.

God bless.

John k on 4/22/02 at 19:53 (080745)

Yes, I got SSD. My hint would be to get a psychiatrist to say that you have depression as a consequence of your injuries to your feet. If you can show that you have emotional problems due to your limitations, pain etc. you would have a better chance with SSD. I got it the first go round because I pulled out all the stops. You have to do what you have to do!

Kathy G on 4/23/02 at 09:29 (080792)

Well, happy retirement, John, even if it wasn't voluntary! A mail carrier with PF - I can't think of anything much worse. I'm glad you were able to retire, with benefits, without too much of a hassle.

Hope you are able to relax and enjoy yourself (off your feet, naturally!) now that everything is resolved.

Best Wishes!

BrianG on 4/23/02 at 15:39 (080849)

Thanks John, sounds like I'm on the right track. My SSD lawyer insisted that I stress the depression. This is why we pay them the big bucks!

Thanks
Brian

John k on 4/23/02 at 19:24 (080881)

Unfortunately they tried to fire me first and only after I hired a lawyer did I get to keep my retirement.

John k on 4/23/02 at 19:26 (080882)

Yes cause SSA will send you for an IME regarding the depression. If you can't walk it is quite depressing.

John k on 4/23/02 at 19:26 (080883)

Thanks, every time one door closes another one opens.