Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flexibility, hamstrings, sports injuries

Posted by Carole C on 4/22/02 at 16:23 (080698)

Today we had a talk about Back Safety from a top physical therapist in our area at my workplace. He said a whole lot but here are a few tidbits that seemed like they might apply to PF.

He said that people who are unusually flexible tend to get back injuries and other sports injuries (which would include some cases of PF and Achilles tendonitis) more easily than the average person. Wendy, you sure called that one correctly!

He said that tight hamstrings are one of the most frequent causes of back injury. He pointed out how they go past the gluteus maximum down the leg and behind the knee. But it seems to me that when it's tight behind the knee, that connects via the Achilles tendon to the Plantar fascia. If I am right, then his exercise for preventing back injuries might be helpful after we have healed, to prevent PF from re-occurring. He suggested sitting, leg straight out, posture perfect, and leaning slightly towards the foot so you can feel it behind your knee.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting.

Carole C

Re: Flexibility, hamstrings, sports injuries

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 17:26 (080709)

Do a search on my name and you'll see this entire subjefct all over the place.
funny... but I had to figure it out on my own..none of the doctors even agreed the hamstrings would affect my glutes and feet...until about two months ago.

Re: p.s. Carole

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 17:33 (080711)

You should take a lok at my email favorites some day....the sites on this topic are astounding!

wendyn on 4/22/02 at 18:15 (080720)

I think that he is correct Carole. I also have tight hamstrings, very tight gastroc and achilles. I am flexible where I should not be, and not flexible where I should be.

Re: Carmen

Carole C in NOLA on 4/22/02 at 19:15 (080738)

I didn't realize that you'd posted about the connection between PF and back problems. Wow, small world! I think it is neat that the gentle stretching I've been doing all this time is protecting my BACK!! LOL

Carole C

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 09:57 (080800)

Carmen has had it all.
;-)

Carole C on 4/23/02 at 15:05 (080847)

My gastocnemius and Achilles tendon and other tendons were unusually tight even for someone with PF. They aren't so bad now because I'm so much better, and the gentle stretching seemed to help relax them eventually. I still stretch frequently because I need to or else I feel some PF pain.

Today we had an ergonomics class (this is 'safety week' where I work). She had us try stretching our hamstrings. This was done by sitting on the floor with our feet against the wall in front of us. Then, we leaned forward as though to touch our toes, but if we felt pain we were to stop. She said getting our fingers 3 inches from the wall would be nice goal and would help to prevent back injuries. I was able to touch the wall, even with fairly good posture, but some of the really buff male athletic types could not get to even a foot from the wall. That was a real eye opener to me. I did not expect to be any good at hamstring stretching. Maybe all my stretching for PF explains it. This exercise mostly stretches behind the knees.

After listening to ergonomics all morning, I raised my chair about 4 inches until my thighs and calves are at 90 degrees and this lessens the pressure on my PF, in my opinion. Now I'm thinking of getting a thick rubber mat or a wedge (or something other than the extremely hard floor with thin thin thin carpet) to put under my desk to rest my feet on (haven't decided which).

Carole C

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 16:09 (080856)

You could get a desk foot rest...I've had one since starting a deak job and I love it! Mine's rubber and tilts...made by Sunway.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 16:52 (080866)

I'm seriously thinking about it! I answered your post on the other board, and included another link. There are so many different ones now. I'll bet my job would buy one for me maybe maybe maybe. LOL

Carole C

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 17:26 (080709)

Do a search on my name and you'll see this entire subjefct all over the place.
funny... but I had to figure it out on my own..none of the doctors even agreed the hamstrings would affect my glutes and feet...until about two months ago.

Re: p.s. Carole

Carmen on 4/22/02 at 17:33 (080711)

You should take a lok at my email favorites some day....the sites on this topic are astounding!

wendyn on 4/22/02 at 18:15 (080720)

I think that he is correct Carole. I also have tight hamstrings, very tight gastroc and achilles. I am flexible where I should not be, and not flexible where I should be.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/22/02 at 19:15 (080738)

I didn't realize that you'd posted about the connection between PF and back problems. Wow, small world! I think it is neat that the gentle stretching I've been doing all this time is protecting my BACK!! LOL

Carole C

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 09:57 (080800)

Carmen has had it all.
;-)

Carole C on 4/23/02 at 15:05 (080847)

My gastocnemius and Achilles tendon and other tendons were unusually tight even for someone with PF. They aren't so bad now because I'm so much better, and the gentle stretching seemed to help relax them eventually. I still stretch frequently because I need to or else I feel some PF pain.

Today we had an ergonomics class (this is 'safety week' where I work). She had us try stretching our hamstrings. This was done by sitting on the floor with our feet against the wall in front of us. Then, we leaned forward as though to touch our toes, but if we felt pain we were to stop. She said getting our fingers 3 inches from the wall would be nice goal and would help to prevent back injuries. I was able to touch the wall, even with fairly good posture, but some of the really buff male athletic types could not get to even a foot from the wall. That was a real eye opener to me. I did not expect to be any good at hamstring stretching. Maybe all my stretching for PF explains it. This exercise mostly stretches behind the knees.

After listening to ergonomics all morning, I raised my chair about 4 inches until my thighs and calves are at 90 degrees and this lessens the pressure on my PF, in my opinion. Now I'm thinking of getting a thick rubber mat or a wedge (or something other than the extremely hard floor with thin thin thin carpet) to put under my desk to rest my feet on (haven't decided which).

Carole C

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 16:09 (080856)

You could get a desk foot rest...I've had one since starting a deak job and I love it! Mine's rubber and tilts...made by Sunway.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 16:52 (080866)

I'm seriously thinking about it! I answered your post on the other board, and included another link. There are so many different ones now. I'll bet my job would buy one for me maybe maybe maybe. LOL

Carole C