Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

uh oh

Posted by Carmen on 4/22/02 at 17:32 (080710)

Well no sooner do I post a message about my walk when I hear a screaming out in the street...I look out the window and there's a neighbor kid laying in the street with her bike on top of her (she's about 9) screaming help me!! so I put on my cape with the giant 'S' on it and go bounding...and I do mean bounding...skipping stairs at a high rate of speed out through the yard with my shoes untied mind you ( I was relaxing)...in my jammies.
So...anyway...she is fine (big scrape across her shoulder and back)...but Carmen may be the worse for wear with her two 'SHOCKED' feet who haven't seen that much action since my honeymoon.
Lord...I thought she'd broke her leg...little tiny thing all splayed out in the street.
So much for walking...I better go ice NOW and skip my walk tomorrow.
sigh.....baby steps to recovery....baby steps to recovery.

Re: uh oh

wendyn on 4/22/02 at 18:12 (080717)

Carmen.

One question.

Why did your FEET see so much action on your honeymoon?

I think you have this ALL wrong.

Re: Carmen

wendyn on 4/22/02 at 18:38 (080733)

Yesterday my son had his birthday party - and I had 9 little boys to take care of for the afternoon. They were playing at the park, and one came running to get me because 'Blake fell and hurt himself real bad and he's bleeding'. Well, I rush to the park just as fast as my feet will take me, and there is Blake sitting on the rocks....SQUEEZING a teensy-tiny drop of blood out of his knee. It must have taken him 5 minutes to squeeze out that little drip. He informed me that he needed a bandaid - and then sat there like I might go get him one or carry him.

Not likely.

He hobbled slowly back to the house for his band-aid - and then experienced a biblical type recovery 5 minutes later.

Pam B on 4/22/02 at 19:14 (080737)

Hope you are feeling better Carmen.......it is amazing what we do when we have to huh?????? lucky for the little girl that you found your honeymoon feet :) take it easy and ICE that pain woman.......:)

Re: Eeeek! iceiceiceiceice

Carole C in NOLA on 4/22/02 at 19:22 (080741)

Oh Carmen! I hope the ice works. Lots of very gentle stretching might help to relax your poor feet too, which must feel like they are tied up in knots after racing to your little neighbor's aid.

You're getting better, though... sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back, I admit, but you are getting there.

Carole C

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 07:21 (080770)

Wendy you crack me up! I knew someone would dish at that comment!
I just meant that I went snorkeling, walking, shopping, swimming, exploring on a bunch of different islands and stuff...so my feet were very cooperative and busy...
You're a hoot.
:-)
And your story below.? Reminds me of me and the way I would tell a story.
two peas in a pod.

Re: progress report from emergency flight yesterday.....

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 07:33 (080776)

No pain this morning....no worse than it has been.
So maybe my little jaunt out to the street last night didn't do too much harm?
You bet I iced...I have a container (tupperware actually) that is oblong and I put about 1/2 inch of water in it nad freeze it and when I need to ice my feet I add cold water to the ice and put my feet in it for 20 min.
Let's talk cold shall we?
Pretty much the same thing my PT's do without the whirlpool.

Carole C on 4/23/02 at 08:43 (080782)

What a neat idea for icing! I have an oblong Tupperware container that's about that size too. It sure sounds cold. Maybe I'll stick to my bags of frozen peas. LOL

It sounds like any setback has been 'headed off at the pass', thanks to your quick and smart response to ice so vigorously. That's great! :)

Carole C

Re: Been there, Wendy...:-)

Suzanne D on 4/23/02 at 09:02 (080784)

Yes, children certainly do experience 'Biblical type healing'! That is a cute way to say it! and band-aids are miracle workers, to be sure!

I couldn't tell you the times I have raced (well, fast for ME!) to the aid of a child on the playground at school only to find just such a situation. But...one time a first grader had slipped on a wet floor in the bathroom and really cut her forhead badly. I was so glad I DID hurry that time! It was cut deeply, and I held her in my lap, firmly holding tissue on the cut to try to stop the bleeding. She ended up with several stitches.

So, I guess 'better safe than sorry'!

Tell your son, 'Happy Belated Birthday'!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Glad to hear, Carmen...

Suzanne D on 4/23/02 at 09:06 (080786)

When the children left for music, I peeked quickly to see if you had posted about how your experience helping the little girl affected your feet. I'm glad to read that it did not cause any lasting damage!

You're a good neighbor and a good friend to children, I can tell!

Kathy G on 4/23/02 at 09:22 (080790)

So glad to hear that you didn't do any lasting damage to your feet, Carmen.
That little girl is very lucky she had you to show her the sympathy and attention she obviously needed. As we all know, sometimes children can be terribly dramatic!

When my nephew was about two, he was visiting and fell over one of his toys and landed on the kitchen floor. He was very prone to drama and started to carry on until I asked him if he had broken my floor. His eyes got bigger and he stopped crying and carefully checked out the floor to see if he'd done anything to it. Naturally, he forgot to cry after that! It works every time with the little ones but I doubt you could have used that ploy on a nine-year old!

Happy Icing!

Re: ALL

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 10:03 (080805)

thanks for your posts...I laugh at myself sometimes....I am the drama queen extraordinaire! (SP??? what is wrong with my seplling lately?)
One time my niece was learning to walk down the stairs when she was JUST getting her footing...and her Mom and I were standing at the top ofthe stairs with our hands full (going down with snacks etc)and she stepped down and boom! Down she went...down all 8 steps head over heels....it was like slow motion. we couldn't grab her she was gone too quick...the look of horror on her face as she kept rolling on the floor sent us both into tears...(and laughter b/c she didn't even cry)! Just stood up with a pouty lip..wondering why those mean ol stairs had tripped her and went on her way down the next flight. NO fear.
Dawn and I stayed behind and just cried! scared us to death.
Can't wait til my feet are better and I can post that I am pregnant. that's the ONLY thing keeping me from it.
darnit.
;-)

wendyn on 4/23/02 at 10:40 (080809)

Carmen, now I am convinced that you and I need to have a little girl to girl chat. Feet just don't factor into the whole pregnancy/honeymoon thing. Now, if you're thinking that they do...it may be a long time before you manage conception. This may come as a surprise, but you don't even NEED to have feet for this whole little exercise. They sometimes just get in the way.

On the other hand, maybe you are saying that you want your feet to be better so they can carry around someone who is pregnant...but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun to pick on you about.

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 10:54 (080817)

Second part...correct.
;-)

Sad though huh? But I am not willing to put even more hell on these little tootsies of mine KNOWING how they feel without the weight!
patience...patience...blah blah blah

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 14:51 (080844)

I howled over this one.....you are a card Wendy!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 15:57 (080851)

Another good reason to wait a little while is that you are moving to another state in a couple of months. It might make more sense to do that, then get pregnant afterwards when you are all settled in and snug and cozy. By that time your feet may feel better too, so that you'll be able to easily explore your new hometown looking for cute baby things and maternity wear. Pregnancy will seem like a snap to you after having dealt with PF.

Carole C

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 16:08 (080855)

That's what I keeop thinking....everythign happens for a reason. right?
;-)
I loe the word snug.
:o>

Suzanne D on 4/23/02 at 16:37 (080861)

Amen to that, Carole! 'Pregnancy will seem like a snap to you after having dealt with PF.' You are right. I actually felt quite well both times I was pregnant, even though at 28 and 34 I was not exactly the youngest mother-to-be in the doctor's office! :-) Still, there was no discomfort which would match what I've had with PF! I never had even slight swelling of the ankles or anything like that. I realize as I say this that others were/are not so lucky with pregnancies, and my heart goes out to them.

But I think Carole is right, Carmen! You'll be out shopping for the baby things and being oh, so thankful with each step that your feet are better. One day it will be the right time for you, and I think you'll be the most informed mother-to-be ever with the way you research and are prepared for everything!

Your time will come! :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 16:46 (080863)

My pregnancy went well too, Suzanne. I took to it like a duck to water, and actually felt healthier than normal and as RADIANT as people said I looked. I was brimming with energy and love. The only hitch was during my ninth month I started getting varicose veins, so I had to sit with my legs up. By that time it was hard to do much else for reasons of balance, anyway. It wasn't long after that when I gave birth and that problem vanished, of course.

I have had friends with difficult pregnancies, though. I think that getting proper nutrition before and during pregnancy was a big help in making mine easier for me. Skim milk and veggies yes, Pepsi and Cracker Jacks no! (grin)

Carole C

Re: My Blue Heaven

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 16:50 (080864)

'Snug' and 'Cozy' always remind me of an old song.

'Just Molly and me,
And baby makes three,
We're happy in My Blue Heaven.'

Later it goes

'You'll see a smiling face, a fireplace, a cozy room,
A little nest that nestles where the roses bloom'

Carole C

wendyn on 4/23/02 at 16:59 (080869)

My pregnancies were a long time ago, and pre PF - but my feet definetly hurt the last time. The extra weight can be difficult - but if you keep wearing the good shoes and watch the extra weight gain - I'm sure you'll be fine.

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 17:23 (080872)

You ladies are making me want to go out and get 'busy' with my husband right now!!! Oh...that's right...he's in another state.
So Wendy oh goddess of sex and love...tell me how to manage THAT maneuver!!!
;-)
ha ha

wendyn on 4/23/02 at 18:00 (080875)

Goddess of sex and love!?!?!?!? Now that is funny.

Re: Just thought I'd mention...

Rich on 4/23/02 at 22:44 (080897)

I sure hope you're not using Birks for birth control? LOL Did you see that on the shoe board awhile back? I think is was wendyn then too!!!

We had our first after ten years of marriage! Talk about a life changing experience! Now, I am blessed with two beautiful little girls.

Of course, that was all pre-PF. If you watch the weight gain, the only thing you'll have to be careful with is the 'waddle'!! My co-workers at the time teased me endlessly! Thank God my feet didn't hurt like this, too!!

You're still young, and newly married from what I read. Get moved and settled in...you'll know when the time is right. Enjoy yourselves now, while you can...LOL.

From one tired mother!
Rich

Diane O. on 4/24/02 at 11:07 (080944)

Hi everyone
Just reading all the posts after a busy couple of days........Thanks for the laughs. It was just what the doctor ordered.
Not having a good day
Diane O.

Carole C on 4/24/02 at 11:11 (080945)

Carmen, I noticed on the doctor's board that you are having some pain today. Time to ice again.

Your friend

Carole C

Carmen on 4/24/02 at 11:48 (080950)

ugh...I know. I think it's the darn birks I wore around last night. I swear....they just do not work for ol Carmy.
;-)
I ice every day anyway...no matter what. Even if there's no pain...helps to keep inflammation down so I do it...even if it is uncomfortable!!!!!!!
Thanks for the kind words.

JudyS on 4/26/02 at 16:35 (081223)

Hey Scott, did you know that Wendy is the Goddess of Sex and Love?

Re: Ahem

wendyn on 4/26/02 at 21:05 (081248)

Stop calling me that!!!!

Do you know where I went last night?

How's this for a conversation topic...

I went to The Puppetry of the Penis.

It's exactly what you think it is.

John h on 4/26/02 at 22:39 (081265)

What does a Godess of Sex and Love do? I am here to learn.

wendyn on 4/26/02 at 23:18 (081268)

Well John.

I am not sure if I want to teach you.

Re: Wendy, please elaborate...

Julie on 4/27/02 at 05:26 (081287)

wendyn on 4/27/02 at 09:26 (081305)

It's a touring show from Australia. Sort of a stand up comedy routine advertised as a bizarre art form. Went with 3 girlfriends (suprisingly the audience was about 10% male), and yes - they estentially make little representations of objects out of their genitalia.

You know how if you hold your hands a certain way, you can make it look like a church and steeple?

Same idea - only not with the hands. We saw several sea animals, food objects, buildings.....

I cannot say that I have ever seen anything like it before, not do I have any real desire to see anything like it again. Laughed pretty hard though - and I must say that we will have a conversation topic at parties for years to come.

John h on 4/27/02 at 15:39 (081361)

Is there any Lab work with this course Wendy?

wendyn on 4/22/02 at 18:12 (080717)

Carmen.

One question.

Why did your FEET see so much action on your honeymoon?

I think you have this ALL wrong.

wendyn on 4/22/02 at 18:38 (080733)

Yesterday my son had his birthday party - and I had 9 little boys to take care of for the afternoon. They were playing at the park, and one came running to get me because 'Blake fell and hurt himself real bad and he's bleeding'. Well, I rush to the park just as fast as my feet will take me, and there is Blake sitting on the rocks....SQUEEZING a teensy-tiny drop of blood out of his knee. It must have taken him 5 minutes to squeeze out that little drip. He informed me that he needed a bandaid - and then sat there like I might go get him one or carry him.

Not likely.

He hobbled slowly back to the house for his band-aid - and then experienced a biblical type recovery 5 minutes later.

Pam B on 4/22/02 at 19:14 (080737)

Hope you are feeling better Carmen.......it is amazing what we do when we have to huh?????? lucky for the little girl that you found your honeymoon feet :) take it easy and ICE that pain woman.......:)

Re: Eeeek! iceiceiceiceice

Carole C in NOLA on 4/22/02 at 19:22 (080741)

Oh Carmen! I hope the ice works. Lots of very gentle stretching might help to relax your poor feet too, which must feel like they are tied up in knots after racing to your little neighbor's aid.

You're getting better, though... sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back, I admit, but you are getting there.

Carole C

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 07:21 (080770)

Wendy you crack me up! I knew someone would dish at that comment!
I just meant that I went snorkeling, walking, shopping, swimming, exploring on a bunch of different islands and stuff...so my feet were very cooperative and busy...
You're a hoot.
:-)
And your story below.? Reminds me of me and the way I would tell a story.
two peas in a pod.

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 07:33 (080776)

No pain this morning....no worse than it has been.
So maybe my little jaunt out to the street last night didn't do too much harm?
You bet I iced...I have a container (tupperware actually) that is oblong and I put about 1/2 inch of water in it nad freeze it and when I need to ice my feet I add cold water to the ice and put my feet in it for 20 min.
Let's talk cold shall we?
Pretty much the same thing my PT's do without the whirlpool.

Carole C on 4/23/02 at 08:43 (080782)

What a neat idea for icing! I have an oblong Tupperware container that's about that size too. It sure sounds cold. Maybe I'll stick to my bags of frozen peas. LOL

It sounds like any setback has been 'headed off at the pass', thanks to your quick and smart response to ice so vigorously. That's great! :)

Carole C

Re: Been there, Wendy...:-)

Suzanne D on 4/23/02 at 09:02 (080784)

Yes, children certainly do experience 'Biblical type healing'! That is a cute way to say it! and band-aids are miracle workers, to be sure!

I couldn't tell you the times I have raced (well, fast for ME!) to the aid of a child on the playground at school only to find just such a situation. But...one time a first grader had slipped on a wet floor in the bathroom and really cut her forhead badly. I was so glad I DID hurry that time! It was cut deeply, and I held her in my lap, firmly holding tissue on the cut to try to stop the bleeding. She ended up with several stitches.

So, I guess 'better safe than sorry'!

Tell your son, 'Happy Belated Birthday'!

Suzanne D on 4/23/02 at 09:06 (080786)

When the children left for music, I peeked quickly to see if you had posted about how your experience helping the little girl affected your feet. I'm glad to read that it did not cause any lasting damage!

You're a good neighbor and a good friend to children, I can tell!

Kathy G on 4/23/02 at 09:22 (080790)

So glad to hear that you didn't do any lasting damage to your feet, Carmen.
That little girl is very lucky she had you to show her the sympathy and attention she obviously needed. As we all know, sometimes children can be terribly dramatic!

When my nephew was about two, he was visiting and fell over one of his toys and landed on the kitchen floor. He was very prone to drama and started to carry on until I asked him if he had broken my floor. His eyes got bigger and he stopped crying and carefully checked out the floor to see if he'd done anything to it. Naturally, he forgot to cry after that! It works every time with the little ones but I doubt you could have used that ploy on a nine-year old!

Happy Icing!

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 10:03 (080805)

thanks for your posts...I laugh at myself sometimes....I am the drama queen extraordinaire! (SP??? what is wrong with my seplling lately?)
One time my niece was learning to walk down the stairs when she was JUST getting her footing...and her Mom and I were standing at the top ofthe stairs with our hands full (going down with snacks etc)and she stepped down and boom! Down she went...down all 8 steps head over heels....it was like slow motion. we couldn't grab her she was gone too quick...the look of horror on her face as she kept rolling on the floor sent us both into tears...(and laughter b/c she didn't even cry)! Just stood up with a pouty lip..wondering why those mean ol stairs had tripped her and went on her way down the next flight. NO fear.
Dawn and I stayed behind and just cried! scared us to death.
Can't wait til my feet are better and I can post that I am pregnant. that's the ONLY thing keeping me from it.
darnit.
;-)

wendyn on 4/23/02 at 10:40 (080809)

Carmen, now I am convinced that you and I need to have a little girl to girl chat. Feet just don't factor into the whole pregnancy/honeymoon thing. Now, if you're thinking that they do...it may be a long time before you manage conception. This may come as a surprise, but you don't even NEED to have feet for this whole little exercise. They sometimes just get in the way.

On the other hand, maybe you are saying that you want your feet to be better so they can carry around someone who is pregnant...but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun to pick on you about.

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 10:54 (080817)

Second part...correct.
;-)

Sad though huh? But I am not willing to put even more hell on these little tootsies of mine KNOWING how they feel without the weight!
patience...patience...blah blah blah

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 14:51 (080844)

I howled over this one.....you are a card Wendy!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 15:57 (080851)

Another good reason to wait a little while is that you are moving to another state in a couple of months. It might make more sense to do that, then get pregnant afterwards when you are all settled in and snug and cozy. By that time your feet may feel better too, so that you'll be able to easily explore your new hometown looking for cute baby things and maternity wear. Pregnancy will seem like a snap to you after having dealt with PF.

Carole C

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 16:08 (080855)

That's what I keeop thinking....everythign happens for a reason. right?
;-)
I loe the word snug.
:o>

Suzanne D on 4/23/02 at 16:37 (080861)

Amen to that, Carole! 'Pregnancy will seem like a snap to you after having dealt with PF.' You are right. I actually felt quite well both times I was pregnant, even though at 28 and 34 I was not exactly the youngest mother-to-be in the doctor's office! :-) Still, there was no discomfort which would match what I've had with PF! I never had even slight swelling of the ankles or anything like that. I realize as I say this that others were/are not so lucky with pregnancies, and my heart goes out to them.

But I think Carole is right, Carmen! You'll be out shopping for the baby things and being oh, so thankful with each step that your feet are better. One day it will be the right time for you, and I think you'll be the most informed mother-to-be ever with the way you research and are prepared for everything!

Your time will come! :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 16:46 (080863)

My pregnancy went well too, Suzanne. I took to it like a duck to water, and actually felt healthier than normal and as RADIANT as people said I looked. I was brimming with energy and love. The only hitch was during my ninth month I started getting varicose veins, so I had to sit with my legs up. By that time it was hard to do much else for reasons of balance, anyway. It wasn't long after that when I gave birth and that problem vanished, of course.

I have had friends with difficult pregnancies, though. I think that getting proper nutrition before and during pregnancy was a big help in making mine easier for me. Skim milk and veggies yes, Pepsi and Cracker Jacks no! (grin)

Carole C

Re: My Blue Heaven

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 16:50 (080864)

'Snug' and 'Cozy' always remind me of an old song.

'Just Molly and me,
And baby makes three,
We're happy in My Blue Heaven.'

Later it goes

'You'll see a smiling face, a fireplace, a cozy room,
A little nest that nestles where the roses bloom'

Carole C

wendyn on 4/23/02 at 16:59 (080869)

My pregnancies were a long time ago, and pre PF - but my feet definetly hurt the last time. The extra weight can be difficult - but if you keep wearing the good shoes and watch the extra weight gain - I'm sure you'll be fine.

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 17:23 (080872)

You ladies are making me want to go out and get 'busy' with my husband right now!!! Oh...that's right...he's in another state.
So Wendy oh goddess of sex and love...tell me how to manage THAT maneuver!!!
;-)
ha ha

wendyn on 4/23/02 at 18:00 (080875)

Goddess of sex and love!?!?!?!? Now that is funny.

Rich on 4/23/02 at 22:44 (080897)

I sure hope you're not using Birks for birth control? LOL Did you see that on the shoe board awhile back? I think is was wendyn then too!!!

We had our first after ten years of marriage! Talk about a life changing experience! Now, I am blessed with two beautiful little girls.

Of course, that was all pre-PF. If you watch the weight gain, the only thing you'll have to be careful with is the 'waddle'!! My co-workers at the time teased me endlessly! Thank God my feet didn't hurt like this, too!!

You're still young, and newly married from what I read. Get moved and settled in...you'll know when the time is right. Enjoy yourselves now, while you can...LOL.

From one tired mother!
Rich

Diane O. on 4/24/02 at 11:07 (080944)

Hi everyone
Just reading all the posts after a busy couple of days........Thanks for the laughs. It was just what the doctor ordered.
Not having a good day
Diane O.

Carole C on 4/24/02 at 11:11 (080945)

Carmen, I noticed on the doctor's board that you are having some pain today. Time to ice again.

Your friend

Carole C

Carmen on 4/24/02 at 11:48 (080950)

ugh...I know. I think it's the darn birks I wore around last night. I swear....they just do not work for ol Carmy.
;-)
I ice every day anyway...no matter what. Even if there's no pain...helps to keep inflammation down so I do it...even if it is uncomfortable!!!!!!!
Thanks for the kind words.

JudyS on 4/26/02 at 16:35 (081223)

Hey Scott, did you know that Wendy is the Goddess of Sex and Love?

Re: Ahem

wendyn on 4/26/02 at 21:05 (081248)

Stop calling me that!!!!

Do you know where I went last night?

How's this for a conversation topic...

I went to The Puppetry of the Penis.

It's exactly what you think it is.

John h on 4/26/02 at 22:39 (081265)

What does a Godess of Sex and Love do? I am here to learn.

wendyn on 4/26/02 at 23:18 (081268)

Well John.

I am not sure if I want to teach you.

Julie on 4/27/02 at 05:26 (081287)

wendyn on 4/27/02 at 09:26 (081305)

It's a touring show from Australia. Sort of a stand up comedy routine advertised as a bizarre art form. Went with 3 girlfriends (suprisingly the audience was about 10% male), and yes - they estentially make little representations of objects out of their genitalia.

You know how if you hold your hands a certain way, you can make it look like a church and steeple?

Same idea - only not with the hands. We saw several sea animals, food objects, buildings.....

I cannot say that I have ever seen anything like it before, not do I have any real desire to see anything like it again. Laughed pretty hard though - and I must say that we will have a conversation topic at parties for years to come.

John h on 4/27/02 at 15:39 (081361)

Is there any Lab work with this course Wendy?