Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I have pain in the BACK of my heel

Posted by FLo P on 4/22/02 at 22:08 (080757)

My pain is not on the bottom of my foot. It is located in the BACK of my heel.
My orthopedic doctor told me it was a heel spur, most likely from arthritis. I have take a medication for it which seems to work, but I don't take it everyday. Seems if I take it a few days, then off for a few, it works, CELEBREX
Hav eyou heard of these types of heel spurs? Is a heel spur JUST On the bottom of the foot?
I do not want to get shots for I am very fearful of the pain and also do not want steroids introduced.
My heel hurts the most after I've been sitting for a while or lying down...and usually will stop hurting once I've walked on it for a few minutes.

Re: I have pain in the BACK of my heel

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/24/02 at 20:17 (081008)

Hi

This is very common. It is called insertional achilles tendonitis with calcification . This is usually from micro-tearing of the achilles tendon where it attaches to the back of the heel. This isn't to be confused with heel spur on the bottom. The back can be more painful then the bottom.
Stay away from steriod injection. Can cause rupture. Physical therapy, lifts,boot cast can help before surgery ESWT is something that has been very effective in our practice.

Re: I have pain in the BACK of my heel

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/24/02 at 20:17 (081008)

Hi

This is very common. It is called insertional achilles tendonitis with calcification . This is usually from micro-tearing of the achilles tendon where it attaches to the back of the heel. This isn't to be confused with heel spur on the bottom. The back can be more painful then the bottom.
Stay away from steriod injection. Can cause rupture. Physical therapy, lifts,boot cast can help before surgery ESWT is something that has been very effective in our practice.