Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

progress report

Posted by AlexH on 4/23/02 at 02:30 (080765)

I was a regular contributor to this site in 1998-9 and would like to give a progress report in case there are any old-timers still checking in (and, hopefully, to give a little heart to new sufferers)

My PF developed with a vengeance in September 1998 and I went through the usual Dr visits, trying anti-inflammatories etc. From November 1998 through March 1999 I underwent a series of acupuncture treatments from two Drs, one Korean in Atlanta GA and one Chinese in Hong Kong. Some very noticeable relief, but no cure. Also went on heavy-duty vitamins and glucosamine sulfate.

In March 1999 I succombed to the entreaties of my Western Dr and had one cortizone shot. Within a couple of days the pain had diminished noticeably. The Dr made it clear that cortizone shots do not work for everyone, and should only be taken after at least 6 months of other treatments. He also said that he would never recommend more than 3 shots (with 2-3 months in between). I only had the one shot.

To this day I still have daily stiffness - have to stretch every morning, but I am basically completely mobile - walk a great deal, play golf etc. I continue to watch my foot constantly - wear only Birkenstocks and Mephistos (New Balance sneakers for long distance walking and golf). I continue the vitamins and glucosamine sulfate.

I certainly do not consider that I have been cured of PF, but am clearly in a state of remission. Long may it continue!

Re: progress report

Sharon W on 4/23/02 at 07:10 (080768)

Thank you. I think you just made my day! It helps to see a successful post like yours to remind me that it CAN happen...

Long may it continue, indeed!

-- Sharon

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 07:26 (080773)

Ditto Sharon! Good for you Alex...thanks for the update!
good to hear you are better,

Carole C on 4/23/02 at 09:05 (080785)

Alex, that is wonderful that you are basically completely mobile again. It sounds to me like you are also being careful to avoid getting PF again, and that is great.

Just out of curiousity, do you ever go barefoot?

After getting PF in September 2001 and suffering considerably for the next few months, through conservative treatment I'm mostly recovered. I have very little to no pain now but like you I still stretch, wear Birkenstocks, SAS, and New Balance, and I am still careful of my feet and trying to cautiously rebuild my foot strength. I still wear my shower shoes but have abandoned the shower stool (hurrah!). I occasionally take a step or two barefoot without problems but in general I still wear my Birkenstocks around the house rather than going barefoot.

It is wonderful to be able to slowly resume some of the activities I missed so much.

Carole C

Re: P.S., how are those Mephistos, by the way?

Carole C on 4/23/02 at 09:14 (080789)

Mephistos look like a great shoe online but I have never seen a pair in real life and I have no idea what they are like to wear.

Is their footbed like the Birkenstock orthotic footbed? Is it cork?

Are the 'bumps' as pronounced, and do the bumps fit your feet better than those on Birkenstocks?

Do all Mephistos have essentially the same footbed?

You sound like a 'PF veteran' and I'm curious as to your observations about them and how they might compare with other shoes. Thanks.

Carole C

Re: What about MSM? I take it faithfully...

Mahatmelissama on 4/23/02 at 11:27 (080823)

I am so encouraged by your post! I am glad to see somebody recover.

Laurie R on 4/23/02 at 11:36 (080826)

Hi Alex, Thank you so much for taking the time to post your update...I'm glad you did not forget about all of us that are still dealing with PF and other foot problems. My dream is to get the best I can and come on here one day and make a post like yours. :) Stiffness over terrible pain I take it any day .... Thank you again , Laurie R

AlexH on 4/23/02 at 16:46 (080862)

Thanks for the response. I NEVER, EVER go barefoot. I keep an old pair of New Balance sneakers for beach walking (and ocean swimming). Birkenstocks around the house at all times.

Best wishes

Alex

AlexH on 4/23/02 at 16:51 (080865)

Thanks for the response.

Mephistos are extremely expensive (around $250 a pair) but they last for ever. I bought two pairs of their 'dress' shoes because I was in a high profile job and had to dress reasonably well.. They are very comfortable - bed is somewhat molded - sole is, I think, some kind of heavy-duty rubber (although I'm not sure)

I have very wide feet and in my BPF (before PF) days I used to wear SAS shoes all the time. I still have several pairs and have recently been trying them out again, so far so good. I do use gel heel inserts with all the shoes I wear (except Birks of course!)

Best wishes

Alex

Suzanne D on 4/23/02 at 16:56 (080867)

Thanks for the encouragement. Do you wear any orthotics at the present in your New Balance or Mephistos?

My best wishes for your continued state of good feet!

Suzanne :-)

Sharon W on 4/23/02 at 07:10 (080768)

Thank you. I think you just made my day! It helps to see a successful post like yours to remind me that it CAN happen...

Long may it continue, indeed!

-- Sharon

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 07:26 (080773)

Ditto Sharon! Good for you Alex...thanks for the update!
good to hear you are better,

Carole C on 4/23/02 at 09:05 (080785)

Alex, that is wonderful that you are basically completely mobile again. It sounds to me like you are also being careful to avoid getting PF again, and that is great.

Just out of curiousity, do you ever go barefoot?

After getting PF in September 2001 and suffering considerably for the next few months, through conservative treatment I'm mostly recovered. I have very little to no pain now but like you I still stretch, wear Birkenstocks, SAS, and New Balance, and I am still careful of my feet and trying to cautiously rebuild my foot strength. I still wear my shower shoes but have abandoned the shower stool (hurrah!). I occasionally take a step or two barefoot without problems but in general I still wear my Birkenstocks around the house rather than going barefoot.

It is wonderful to be able to slowly resume some of the activities I missed so much.

Carole C

Carole C on 4/23/02 at 09:14 (080789)

Mephistos look like a great shoe online but I have never seen a pair in real life and I have no idea what they are like to wear.

Is their footbed like the Birkenstock orthotic footbed? Is it cork?

Are the 'bumps' as pronounced, and do the bumps fit your feet better than those on Birkenstocks?

Do all Mephistos have essentially the same footbed?

You sound like a 'PF veteran' and I'm curious as to your observations about them and how they might compare with other shoes. Thanks.

Carole C

Re: What about MSM? I take it faithfully...

Mahatmelissama on 4/23/02 at 11:27 (080823)

I am so encouraged by your post! I am glad to see somebody recover.

Laurie R on 4/23/02 at 11:36 (080826)

Hi Alex, Thank you so much for taking the time to post your update...I'm glad you did not forget about all of us that are still dealing with PF and other foot problems. My dream is to get the best I can and come on here one day and make a post like yours. :) Stiffness over terrible pain I take it any day .... Thank you again , Laurie R

AlexH on 4/23/02 at 16:46 (080862)

Thanks for the response. I NEVER, EVER go barefoot. I keep an old pair of New Balance sneakers for beach walking (and ocean swimming). Birkenstocks around the house at all times.

Best wishes

Alex

AlexH on 4/23/02 at 16:51 (080865)

Thanks for the response.

Mephistos are extremely expensive (around $250 a pair) but they last for ever. I bought two pairs of their 'dress' shoes because I was in a high profile job and had to dress reasonably well.. They are very comfortable - bed is somewhat molded - sole is, I think, some kind of heavy-duty rubber (although I'm not sure)

I have very wide feet and in my BPF (before PF) days I used to wear SAS shoes all the time. I still have several pairs and have recently been trying them out again, so far so good. I do use gel heel inserts with all the shoes I wear (except Birks of course!)

Best wishes

Alex

Suzanne D on 4/23/02 at 16:56 (080867)

Thanks for the encouragement. Do you wear any orthotics at the present in your New Balance or Mephistos?

My best wishes for your continued state of good feet!

Suzanne :-)