Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Most curious...what is Vioxx?

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 4/23/02 at 13:38 (080836)

I heard this is an anti-inflam. for those who have tender stomachs. Is that so? Please let me know. Thanks.

Re: Most curious...what is Vioxx?

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 15:03 (080846)

Welllll it's easier on the stomch than most NSAIDS. It's been said to work miracles on people with arthritis.....

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 16:16 (080858)

It's a type of prescription anti-inflammatory called a Cox-2 inhibitor and these are mainly used for arthritis. The other really popular Cox-2 inhibitor is Celebrex, which is what I'm on for my arthritis.

I don't have nearly as much stomach problems with Celebrex as I did with Relafen, an older arthritis med. And forget Motrin or aspirin; they really tear up my stomach eventually because with arthritis you have to take whatever medicine you are on, indefinitely. However, some people have stomach trouble with Celebrex and Vioxx too. If you are on these meds, you will need to have regular bloodwork done to check for certain possible side effects. They are very expensive and so some insurance companies would rather that the doctors try you on something else first.

Celebrex has a cumulative sort of effect. You can't expect to get the full impact of it with the first pill; it takes a week or two. If you are taking it, you are warned not to take other NSAID's (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) at the same time. Some people have good results with Cox-2 inhibitors, and some don't.

Carole C

Pam B on 4/24/02 at 07:11 (080919)

Hello, just thought I would post on this one.......I have taken celebrex because of the anti inflammatory drugs totally making my stomach a mess......for a few weeks it was ok but then as they built up in my system, the whole stomach thing started again....the pod wanted me to try Vioxx but I refused.....I figure that the foot pain is enough for anyone to deal with.....and on top of that, I did not feel much relief as far as pain at all taking the Celebrex.....the docs want me on them but I am standing firm on no, they are just not for me.....good luck to you if you are taking them.... as I understand it, they work well for alot of people.

Re: Celebrex

Carole C on 4/24/02 at 07:32 (080920)

Celebrex did not help my foot pain much either, or the pain from some dental problems I had earlier this spring. It does seem to work quite well for my arthritis pain once the cumulative effect has built up for a week or two, and for me it does not bother my stomach at all (luckily). In my opinion, it's not a pain killer so much as an anti-inflammatory that seems to zero in on a specific part of my body (in my case, my arthritic knees). When it reduces the inflammation, the pain seems to lessen for mechanical reasons, not because it is deadened.

People with arthritis often have to try several medications before finding one they can tolerate that works for them. It's very individual. Celebrex doesn't do a thing for my Mom's arthritis.

Carole C

john h on 4/24/02 at 14:27 (080970)

Celebrex and Vioxx are both highly advertised as being gentile on your stomach because of the Cox 2 inhibitors. Some people still do have a reaction but millions of arthritis sufferers have switched to these drugs because you only need one a day and they have been much less likely to create stomach disorders.

Carmen on 4/23/02 at 15:03 (080846)

Welllll it's easier on the stomch than most NSAIDS. It's been said to work miracles on people with arthritis.....

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 16:16 (080858)

It's a type of prescription anti-inflammatory called a Cox-2 inhibitor and these are mainly used for arthritis. The other really popular Cox-2 inhibitor is Celebrex, which is what I'm on for my arthritis.

I don't have nearly as much stomach problems with Celebrex as I did with Relafen, an older arthritis med. And forget Motrin or aspirin; they really tear up my stomach eventually because with arthritis you have to take whatever medicine you are on, indefinitely. However, some people have stomach trouble with Celebrex and Vioxx too. If you are on these meds, you will need to have regular bloodwork done to check for certain possible side effects. They are very expensive and so some insurance companies would rather that the doctors try you on something else first.

Celebrex has a cumulative sort of effect. You can't expect to get the full impact of it with the first pill; it takes a week or two. If you are taking it, you are warned not to take other NSAID's (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) at the same time. Some people have good results with Cox-2 inhibitors, and some don't.

Carole C

Pam B on 4/24/02 at 07:11 (080919)

Hello, just thought I would post on this one.......I have taken celebrex because of the anti inflammatory drugs totally making my stomach a mess......for a few weeks it was ok but then as they built up in my system, the whole stomach thing started again....the pod wanted me to try Vioxx but I refused.....I figure that the foot pain is enough for anyone to deal with.....and on top of that, I did not feel much relief as far as pain at all taking the Celebrex.....the docs want me on them but I am standing firm on no, they are just not for me.....good luck to you if you are taking them.... as I understand it, they work well for alot of people.

Re: Celebrex

Carole C on 4/24/02 at 07:32 (080920)

Celebrex did not help my foot pain much either, or the pain from some dental problems I had earlier this spring. It does seem to work quite well for my arthritis pain once the cumulative effect has built up for a week or two, and for me it does not bother my stomach at all (luckily). In my opinion, it's not a pain killer so much as an anti-inflammatory that seems to zero in on a specific part of my body (in my case, my arthritic knees). When it reduces the inflammation, the pain seems to lessen for mechanical reasons, not because it is deadened.

People with arthritis often have to try several medications before finding one they can tolerate that works for them. It's very individual. Celebrex doesn't do a thing for my Mom's arthritis.

Carole C

john h on 4/24/02 at 14:27 (080970)

Celebrex and Vioxx are both highly advertised as being gentile on your stomach because of the Cox 2 inhibitors. Some people still do have a reaction but millions of arthritis sufferers have switched to these drugs because you only need one a day and they have been much less likely to create stomach disorders.