Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hi all 1st week of five over with in cast some tips ive done

Posted by lisa k on 4/23/02 at 13:45 (080838)

well just wanted to thank brian and carol, what ive found out is the non weith bearing order is difficult and im not able to drive -this can be very nerve racking and the 'isolation ' gets me lonely sad and angry at times, that independence and letting go of some is toughy--what ive doen this week thats helped 1st didnt have furnnitur in living room to accomadate the elevation necessary, so my hubby drove me to walmart and we purched a pool type lounge chair which we then padded and allows for complete support and elevation so id get out of the bed which im beginning to hate......a cheap alternative for a middle income family:0 and after the cast comes off we can use it on the patio 2) we brought the computer into the living room to help ease the Lonliness where i can use it without any steps.....3rd i just couldnt get the crutches part down so we got a walker form th pharmacy it may me feel confident enough that i went to church for first time in two weeks.......God bless you all and have the very best day you can luv lisa

Re: hi all 1st week of five over with in cast some tips ive done

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 16:04 (080854)

Lisa, you are right that it is not easy to rest your feet so much. It can have you bouncing off walls and so depressed, but it does help most of us. The pool type lounger sounds like a great idea for keeping your leg up. I have a big ottoman that I used sometimes in the living room. Good luck, and I'm glad you were able to go to church!

Carole C

Rich on 4/23/02 at 22:07 (080892)

Hi Lisa....I took off my cast!!! Actually, I am trying again to walk without it. I am icing and taking my Aleve. I still use the crutches at times.

I too couldn't get the hang of it. When I would try to step forward, my casted foot, being so heavy, would swing out in front of me! I found that it was more tolerable to just step with my weight supported with my hands, placing the front toe of the cast down and avoiding any weight on the heel. Then I progressed to weight bearing and supporting myself with the crutches. This weekend I used the crutches very little while still in the cast.

I finally had enough of it! I decided to go back to work yesterday and by the time I got home was completly worn out! I do bookwork, so mostly get to sit and I'm the only one in the office so I use my chair to wheel around where ever I need to go. My sitter is coming out to meet me so I don't have to get down. What a relief! She has a graveled drive and five steps into her house, the last thing I need while hauling a three year old.

Last night I cried when I finally got to bed. At least hubby has started to help with the ice massages. What a blessing! This morning I couldn't get up without the crutches, but by the time I was ready to leave for work, I could manage in my tennis shoes.

It's a pain...at least my doc was letting me switch back and forth so I could drive myself around. Took forever to constantly switch back and forth from the cast to my tennis shoe. Once he put me on crutches, I just stayed home. Really too much, although I think most of it was depression.

I'm sitting here now with burning feet and I should be icing. I REALLY don't want to go back into the cast. My right leg is now smaller than my left and I finally have some definition to the front of my thigh from lugging that heavy thing around!

Be careful with that walker, try not to put weight down on your heel. What kind of cast are you in? Is it the cam walker? That's what I've been wearing for over five weeks!

God Bless you...you will be in my prayers!

Fellow cast sufferer!!
Rich

Necee on 4/23/02 at 23:07 (080900)

All the best to you.
I hope its not long at all and you'll be running down those isles at Wal Mart.
Glad you were able to go to church and hope the days and months ahead are full of good health and happiness.
Happy Trials......
Necee

Re: You were very creative

Tammie on 4/24/02 at 16:52 (080990)

Oh Lisa how very creative and such a good idea (the lawn chair)That was a very good idea, wish I had thought of it lol! We should remember it to tell others that will be needing rest your idea! Now I am very glad you are more in the center of your home it gets very isolated in a bed tucked away from living people ,LOL You still can feel apart while you are healing and resting!Remember now you are going to be tested alot on the ability to be patient. One day at a time baby steps now means a better chance of those big steps with out pain later. Take care and when you are bored or lonely you could look for your friends online , I know alot are on the aol do you have that? It can be alot of fun chatting with others here , beats sitting and being lonely and sad! Take care now and remember patience , it is the test of patience.

Suzanne D on 4/24/02 at 21:37 (081025)

Lisa, I, too, am glad that you can have the computer close by and have the lawn chair fixed up so you can rest but be out of bed. I'm sure it felt good to be able to go to church!

My best wishes for your recovery! God bless you, too.

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 16:04 (080854)

Lisa, you are right that it is not easy to rest your feet so much. It can have you bouncing off walls and so depressed, but it does help most of us. The pool type lounger sounds like a great idea for keeping your leg up. I have a big ottoman that I used sometimes in the living room. Good luck, and I'm glad you were able to go to church!

Carole C

Rich on 4/23/02 at 22:07 (080892)

Hi Lisa....I took off my cast!!! Actually, I am trying again to walk without it. I am icing and taking my Aleve. I still use the crutches at times.

I too couldn't get the hang of it. When I would try to step forward, my casted foot, being so heavy, would swing out in front of me! I found that it was more tolerable to just step with my weight supported with my hands, placing the front toe of the cast down and avoiding any weight on the heel. Then I progressed to weight bearing and supporting myself with the crutches. This weekend I used the crutches very little while still in the cast.

I finally had enough of it! I decided to go back to work yesterday and by the time I got home was completly worn out! I do bookwork, so mostly get to sit and I'm the only one in the office so I use my chair to wheel around where ever I need to go. My sitter is coming out to meet me so I don't have to get down. What a relief! She has a graveled drive and five steps into her house, the last thing I need while hauling a three year old.

Last night I cried when I finally got to bed. At least hubby has started to help with the ice massages. What a blessing! This morning I couldn't get up without the crutches, but by the time I was ready to leave for work, I could manage in my tennis shoes.

It's a pain...at least my doc was letting me switch back and forth so I could drive myself around. Took forever to constantly switch back and forth from the cast to my tennis shoe. Once he put me on crutches, I just stayed home. Really too much, although I think most of it was depression.

I'm sitting here now with burning feet and I should be icing. I REALLY don't want to go back into the cast. My right leg is now smaller than my left and I finally have some definition to the front of my thigh from lugging that heavy thing around!

Be careful with that walker, try not to put weight down on your heel. What kind of cast are you in? Is it the cam walker? That's what I've been wearing for over five weeks!

God Bless you...you will be in my prayers!

Fellow cast sufferer!!
Rich

Necee on 4/23/02 at 23:07 (080900)

All the best to you.
I hope its not long at all and you'll be running down those isles at Wal Mart.
Glad you were able to go to church and hope the days and months ahead are full of good health and happiness.
Happy Trials......
Necee

Re: You were very creative

Tammie on 4/24/02 at 16:52 (080990)

Oh Lisa how very creative and such a good idea (the lawn chair)That was a very good idea, wish I had thought of it lol! We should remember it to tell others that will be needing rest your idea! Now I am very glad you are more in the center of your home it gets very isolated in a bed tucked away from living people ,LOL You still can feel apart while you are healing and resting!Remember now you are going to be tested alot on the ability to be patient. One day at a time baby steps now means a better chance of those big steps with out pain later. Take care and when you are bored or lonely you could look for your friends online , I know alot are on the aol do you have that? It can be alot of fun chatting with others here , beats sitting and being lonely and sad! Take care now and remember patience , it is the test of patience.

Suzanne D on 4/24/02 at 21:37 (081025)

Lisa, I, too, am glad that you can have the computer close by and have the lawn chair fixed up so you can rest but be out of bed. I'm sure it felt good to be able to go to church!

My best wishes for your recovery! God bless you, too.

Suzanne :-)