Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need advice ~ heel spur

Posted by Annette S. on 4/23/02 at 21:12 (080885)

I've just discovered this board and wanted to ask for advice. I was in a marathon in February for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society but I did not train like I should have. Immediately afterwards, my heel started killing me. I waited until the beginning of April to see a doctor who said I have a heel spur (but after reading some of this website, I'm wondering if it's PF). Anyway, he recommended shoe inserts (tried them - didn't seem to help)rest (I'll get to that in a minute) and gave me a prescription for an anti-imflammatory with NO refills (there was enough for about a week and a half). Here's the thing: obviously, I have had to give up walking for exercise purposes, but I walk all day anyway (at work, at home, etc.) so I'm not able to rest my foot at all. My heel pain is now worse than ever and I'm having a very hard time walking. What should I do? See another doctor? Try using crutches and see if that helps? I don't get online frequently (usually just in the evening) so I'll check this board tomorrow night to see if anyone has advice for me. Thank you!

Re: Need advice ~ heel spur

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/23/02 at 21:16 (080886)

Hi

Plantar fasciitis and heelspur pain are both one and the same. When the fascia is torn at the insertion the body will lay down bone to repair the torn fascia fibers. The fact that you foot is getting worse and you are limping has increase may indicate a stress fracture. It is time for an mri. Rest , read the heel pain book to educate yourself. So get back to your doctor for further physical evaluation and a possible mri.

BrianG on 4/23/02 at 21:32 (080887)

Hi Annette,

I don't know why your doctor didn't give you a months worth of anti inflamatorys. It cost the same, if you have insurance. I would look into taping your feet during the day. You can read Scott's book, or ask your Pod to show you how. Also, ice you feet when you get home from work, it'll reduce the swelling.

This is the best time to cure your heel pain, it just gets harder with time. Walking at work will not help, can you do some other job at work for a month or two? Read Scott's book, lots of good info. Ask for an MRI, as Dr Z mentioned, it'll help with your diagnosis. Good luck, rest is your friend right now!

BrianG

Annette S. on 4/24/02 at 18:12 (081001)

Thanks for your help....although I'm going to have to figure out a way to rest my foot! I plan on calling a doctor tomorrow. I really appreciate your advice.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/23/02 at 21:16 (080886)

Hi

Plantar fasciitis and heelspur pain are both one and the same. When the fascia is torn at the insertion the body will lay down bone to repair the torn fascia fibers. The fact that you foot is getting worse and you are limping has increase may indicate a stress fracture. It is time for an mri. Rest , read the heel pain book to educate yourself. So get back to your doctor for further physical evaluation and a possible mri.

BrianG on 4/23/02 at 21:32 (080887)

Hi Annette,

I don't know why your doctor didn't give you a months worth of anti inflamatorys. It cost the same, if you have insurance. I would look into taping your feet during the day. You can read Scott's book, or ask your Pod to show you how. Also, ice you feet when you get home from work, it'll reduce the swelling.

This is the best time to cure your heel pain, it just gets harder with time. Walking at work will not help, can you do some other job at work for a month or two? Read Scott's book, lots of good info. Ask for an MRI, as Dr Z mentioned, it'll help with your diagnosis. Good luck, rest is your friend right now!

BrianG

Annette S. on 4/24/02 at 18:12 (081001)

Thanks for your help....although I'm going to have to figure out a way to rest my foot! I plan on calling a doctor tomorrow. I really appreciate your advice.