Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hello Everyone! Been missing you all!

Posted by Rich on 4/23/02 at 21:41 (080889)

Hi all! Finally had time to sit at the computer. It's was a really long weekend. I feel like I haven't 'talked' to my best friends in a week! We started building our deck for our pool, it's above ground, so I won't have to negotiate the ladder. Hubby's been working and I've been sitting in my swing on my patio....supervising! Actually, I have a small bird house hanging just under the corner of my patio cover and it now contains a family of five! I spent afternoon on Sunday just swinging and watching the mother and father birds trying to keep three little babies feed! All three mouths would stretch out of the opening and duck back in as soon as the parents flew off for more food. It was almost as if they knew not to answer the door when mom wasn't home! LOL We also have two purple martin houses that are filled to capacity and lots of little mouths to feed. When I could bear to hobble into the yard, they kept me busy with bread and crackers (unsalted!)

I'm trying to catch up reading posts....just wanted to say I was back!!

Re: Hello Everyone! Been missing you all!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 22:00 (080890)

Hi Rich! Hope you are having a good feet day. :)

Carole C

Rich on 4/23/02 at 22:29 (080893)

Thanks Carole....it's not a good day ;(

My feet are burning up right now and I'm fixing to break out the ice! I even tried a little wine with dinner to relax me, but not helping.

I know I am overdoing it, but I am so sick of this!!! I know that some very blessed people have suffered much longer, but I don't know how much more I can bear.

I spent five weeks in that cast, and can't stand it anymore. I went back to work yesterday and today. Okay, I work for my hubby and have been getting paid while I was resting my feet, but I still feel guilty for not doing 'my share'. I have started doing more of the household chores and took over the cooking again. I could see the strain I was putting on my dear husband, especially with our little girls.

I know I can whine here, but at home it's so busy getting everyone where they need to be, homework, chores, meals, etc...that he doesn't have time to sit with me and really ask how I'm doing. I think he's asleep before his head hits the pillow. We have an A/C and Heating company, so he is working really hard both at home and at work! It's already getting hot and the calls are coming in! I feel like I can't ask him to continue handling both and yet, I know I'm doing things I shouldn't.

This is really hard when you have small children. Getting around on crutches is impossible with them and their toys around! My house is raised on pillars and even the two steps to come in and out is rough.

Okay...I have vented enough, sorry for going on and on....I really appreciate all your quick replys to my posts. I'm beginning to know what advice you'll give before I even post my messages! (Grin)

Off to the freezer I go now!

Rich

Necee on 4/23/02 at 22:59 (080899)

Enjoyed reading about your family of birds. I love to sit with my morning coffee and watch the action around my backyard feeders. I always have feed out for them and have attracted all sorts of birds.
A few years back I raised a Morning Dove that fell from its nest, that was the sweetest thing, she would follow me around the house and perch on my shoulder.
I found a baby Cardinal a few months after raising Boomer the dove, (named that because she got out of her cage one evening and spent the night in the backyard trees, only to come out of the tree the next morning while I was on the back deck and flew right to me.) The Cardinal named Tinker was so much fun to feed, she thought I was her mother, everytime she saw me she would flutter her little wings.
My mom gave me the nickname EllieMae years ago because I always had some kind of critter!
Happy Trails...
Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 23:33 (080902)

You are right! You guessed I would say, ice ice ice. Then more ice. (grin)

I know you have been really suffering with that cast, especially with all your responsibilities. It's hard enough to just sit and rest for people without small children to care for. The sad and ironic truth is that if you push your feet too hard, you may have a set-back which would actually mean more time off your feet than if you could rest them. Sometimes there is no easy answer.

I didn't have PF when my daughter was little, but when she was a cute little fireball about 18 months or two years old, I accidently stepped on a piece of re-bar (the metal rods used in making stucco houses). It was about 3/4 inch diameter and a couple of feet long, I guess, and it went straight through my foot from the bottom to the top. I had to deal with it alone (well, with my toddler) because my ex was at sea and didn't get back for two months. So, I truly do understand how hard foot pain can be with little children to care for and chase after. I wish with all my heart that you weren't having to go through this.

With ice, and gentle stretching, and good shoes, and with luck maybe you won't have a setback to have to deal with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping! After all, we have that zoo trip to look forward to when your feet are better. :)

Carole C

linda a on 4/24/02 at 05:52 (080913)

hello rich ! yes i hated the cast thing also . i had my first cast when i was 36 yrs old when i had the surgery for the open PF and TTS for both feet at different times about 5wks apart . the cast was on for 4wks each time for the surgeries . it drove me crazy . oh , and the itch . i took apart a metal cloths hanger to reach down the cast in order to scratch . i had to stay at mom's condo , because my apartment was 3 flights up . every friday i went back to my apartment to check on things , so i can imagine how you are doing w/ those steps . i feel for you girl . mom's floors was mostly ceramic ( no cushion what so ever ) . be careful not to overdue it and watchout for the toys . linda (Ky)

Suzanne D on 4/24/02 at 16:38 (080983)

Hello, Rich! I have missed your posts.

You know, I think it's the unrelenting nature of this ailment that just gets to you after awhile. I have migraines, but I don't have them every day! And if I feel good one day, I don't have to try to remember to be careful so as to try to avoid another headache! That's what seems to be so hard about PF. There seems to be no end to it, and it DOES get tiresome. We understand...

I was talking to the librarian at my school yesterday. She is back after successful surgery for breast cancer. Her other tests are clear, and she has a good prognosis to look forward to. But...I asked her how she was, and she said she was having a little sympathy party. She said she was tired of her arms hurting and shoulders from the radiation treatments each afternoon. She said she was just tired of it all. I said to her, 'It's because it's unrelenting right now, isn't it? You just can never get it off your mind.'

Then she said, 'Yes...I guess it's like your feet, Suzanne.' That's the first time she had asked about my feet, and it was like we connected. We had different pain, but we understood. When I took my children to the library later, I slipped her a little bag of chocolates and pretzels for moral support! (I know that's not healthy, but a little chocolate always makes ME feel better!) :-)

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 22:00 (080890)

Hi Rich! Hope you are having a good feet day. :)

Carole C

Rich on 4/23/02 at 22:29 (080893)

Thanks Carole....it's not a good day ;(

My feet are burning up right now and I'm fixing to break out the ice! I even tried a little wine with dinner to relax me, but not helping.

I know I am overdoing it, but I am so sick of this!!! I know that some very blessed people have suffered much longer, but I don't know how much more I can bear.

I spent five weeks in that cast, and can't stand it anymore. I went back to work yesterday and today. Okay, I work for my hubby and have been getting paid while I was resting my feet, but I still feel guilty for not doing 'my share'. I have started doing more of the household chores and took over the cooking again. I could see the strain I was putting on my dear husband, especially with our little girls.

I know I can whine here, but at home it's so busy getting everyone where they need to be, homework, chores, meals, etc...that he doesn't have time to sit with me and really ask how I'm doing. I think he's asleep before his head hits the pillow. We have an A/C and Heating company, so he is working really hard both at home and at work! It's already getting hot and the calls are coming in! I feel like I can't ask him to continue handling both and yet, I know I'm doing things I shouldn't.

This is really hard when you have small children. Getting around on crutches is impossible with them and their toys around! My house is raised on pillars and even the two steps to come in and out is rough.

Okay...I have vented enough, sorry for going on and on....I really appreciate all your quick replys to my posts. I'm beginning to know what advice you'll give before I even post my messages! (Grin)

Off to the freezer I go now!

Rich

Necee on 4/23/02 at 22:59 (080899)

Enjoyed reading about your family of birds. I love to sit with my morning coffee and watch the action around my backyard feeders. I always have feed out for them and have attracted all sorts of birds.
A few years back I raised a Morning Dove that fell from its nest, that was the sweetest thing, she would follow me around the house and perch on my shoulder.
I found a baby Cardinal a few months after raising Boomer the dove, (named that because she got out of her cage one evening and spent the night in the backyard trees, only to come out of the tree the next morning while I was on the back deck and flew right to me.) The Cardinal named Tinker was so much fun to feed, she thought I was her mother, everytime she saw me she would flutter her little wings.
My mom gave me the nickname EllieMae years ago because I always had some kind of critter!
Happy Trails...
Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 4/23/02 at 23:33 (080902)

You are right! You guessed I would say, ice ice ice. Then more ice. (grin)

I know you have been really suffering with that cast, especially with all your responsibilities. It's hard enough to just sit and rest for people without small children to care for. The sad and ironic truth is that if you push your feet too hard, you may have a set-back which would actually mean more time off your feet than if you could rest them. Sometimes there is no easy answer.

I didn't have PF when my daughter was little, but when she was a cute little fireball about 18 months or two years old, I accidently stepped on a piece of re-bar (the metal rods used in making stucco houses). It was about 3/4 inch diameter and a couple of feet long, I guess, and it went straight through my foot from the bottom to the top. I had to deal with it alone (well, with my toddler) because my ex was at sea and didn't get back for two months. So, I truly do understand how hard foot pain can be with little children to care for and chase after. I wish with all my heart that you weren't having to go through this.

With ice, and gentle stretching, and good shoes, and with luck maybe you won't have a setback to have to deal with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping! After all, we have that zoo trip to look forward to when your feet are better. :)

Carole C

linda a on 4/24/02 at 05:52 (080913)

hello rich ! yes i hated the cast thing also . i had my first cast when i was 36 yrs old when i had the surgery for the open PF and TTS for both feet at different times about 5wks apart . the cast was on for 4wks each time for the surgeries . it drove me crazy . oh , and the itch . i took apart a metal cloths hanger to reach down the cast in order to scratch . i had to stay at mom's condo , because my apartment was 3 flights up . every friday i went back to my apartment to check on things , so i can imagine how you are doing w/ those steps . i feel for you girl . mom's floors was mostly ceramic ( no cushion what so ever ) . be careful not to overdue it and watchout for the toys . linda (Ky)

Suzanne D on 4/24/02 at 16:38 (080983)

Hello, Rich! I have missed your posts.

You know, I think it's the unrelenting nature of this ailment that just gets to you after awhile. I have migraines, but I don't have them every day! And if I feel good one day, I don't have to try to remember to be careful so as to try to avoid another headache! That's what seems to be so hard about PF. There seems to be no end to it, and it DOES get tiresome. We understand...

I was talking to the librarian at my school yesterday. She is back after successful surgery for breast cancer. Her other tests are clear, and she has a good prognosis to look forward to. But...I asked her how she was, and she said she was having a little sympathy party. She said she was tired of her arms hurting and shoulders from the radiation treatments each afternoon. She said she was just tired of it all. I said to her, 'It's because it's unrelenting right now, isn't it? You just can never get it off your mind.'

Then she said, 'Yes...I guess it's like your feet, Suzanne.' That's the first time she had asked about my feet, and it was like we connected. We had different pain, but we understood. When I took my children to the library later, I slipped her a little bag of chocolates and pretzels for moral support! (I know that's not healthy, but a little chocolate always makes ME feel better!) :-)

Take care,
Suzanne :-)