Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What do you think?

Posted by Jolene H. on 4/23/02 at 22:33 (080895)

I would be interested in hearing from those in this board about what basic treatment worked best for them. I was told to soak in hot water and I have been told to ice the sore spot. What is best????

Re: What do you think?

Rick R on 4/24/02 at 16:25 (080980)

Jolene,

For you to get a more useful response it would help if you would share details regarding your symptoms, onset(what happened how long ago),and treatments tried. This affliction can be quite different depending on your individual circumstances. Things that work for me now would have laid me up for weeks 5 years ago. Read as much as you can on this site. You will see a wide variety of opinion on what works and what doesn't.

Good Luck,

Rick

margie w on 4/30/02 at 22:33 (081896)

If you don't already have some, invest in some Birkenstock sandals. They are excellent. Many people think that they hurt and they do if you overwear them at first. You have to start breaking them in like contact lenses (2 hrs. the first day and add an hour each day-approx). Make sure you only buy the ARIZONA (original) style as, for some reason, they just fit better for this problem. And make sure that you have them fitted properly(EXTREMELY IMPORTANT)! They give you the arch support you need as they form to YOUR foot with rigid firm support. 3 1/2 years ago when I first visited this website everyone highly recommended wearing them exclusively for 3 months and it does help. They are around $90 but one thing I've learned after having this horrible affliction on and off since 1990 is that my feet are now worth whatever it costs to put them in the right shoes...the wrong ones are the reason I'm in this condition!

Jolene H. on 5/05/02 at 20:02 (082550)

Margie

I was told to wear a gel heel pad because of the heel spur. This obviously won't work with these sandles. Is the arch support so good that it takes away the pressure on the heel? I agree that if the shoe works, the cost is insignificant. Thanks for your suggestion.

Rick R on 4/24/02 at 16:25 (080980)

Jolene,

For you to get a more useful response it would help if you would share details regarding your symptoms, onset(what happened how long ago),and treatments tried. This affliction can be quite different depending on your individual circumstances. Things that work for me now would have laid me up for weeks 5 years ago. Read as much as you can on this site. You will see a wide variety of opinion on what works and what doesn't.

Good Luck,

Rick

margie w on 4/30/02 at 22:33 (081896)

If you don't already have some, invest in some Birkenstock sandals. They are excellent. Many people think that they hurt and they do if you overwear them at first. You have to start breaking them in like contact lenses (2 hrs. the first day and add an hour each day-approx). Make sure you only buy the ARIZONA (original) style as, for some reason, they just fit better for this problem. And make sure that you have them fitted properly(EXTREMELY IMPORTANT)! They give you the arch support you need as they form to YOUR foot with rigid firm support. 3 1/2 years ago when I first visited this website everyone highly recommended wearing them exclusively for 3 months and it does help. They are around $90 but one thing I've learned after having this horrible affliction on and off since 1990 is that my feet are now worth whatever it costs to put them in the right shoes...the wrong ones are the reason I'm in this condition!

Jolene H. on 5/05/02 at 20:02 (082550)

Margie

I was told to wear a gel heel pad because of the heel spur. This obviously won't work with these sandles. Is the arch support so good that it takes away the pressure on the heel? I agree that if the shoe works, the cost is insignificant. Thanks for your suggestion.