Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

birkenstocks????

Posted by Marie P on 4/24/02 at 04:46 (080909)

why does everyone recommend birkenstocks?
whats so good about them and what exactly are they

Re: birkenstocks????

David A. on 5/28/02 at 15:28 (085473)

Marie, I'm no authority on Birkenstocks. In fact I don't even own a pair; however not long ago I visited a Birkenstock store to check 'em out. Here is the little bit that I learned. They are a German shoe whose claim to fame is the cork sole that will 'mold' to your foot. Although the cork feels hard to the touch, it is supposed to cushion the foot and be the ultimate in comfort. They come in various styles - all of which are UGLY. They're also expensive - in the range of $200 and up.

Jason K. on 6/05/02 at 01:08 (086338)

I am sorry to say that DAVID A. has no idea about what he is talking about.
I have been wearing birk's for close to 10 years now and let me tell you, they are the BEST DAMN sandal/shoe I've ever worn. David was right about one thing, the soles do mold to the contour of YOUR foot, not whatever the company decided your foot should be shaped like. They are on the expensive side, but very few run close to $200. I wear a style called the milano which has 2 straps on top of foot and one wrapping around the heel. I have payed $95 for a pair, but the last ones I got for $40 on sale of course. But that was a first and probably only time. I get about 2 years out of them only because I wear them yearround and I beat the crap out of shoes. I play basketball, hike in the woods, do everything in them. They have totally replaced my tennis shoes. So I figure I pay approx. $50/year to have the most comfortable footwear I have ever tried on. I love preaching about birk's and I just love the '$100 for sandals!' comments I get. In reality, if you kept good care of them, they could easily last 3-5 years. I'll put it this way. About 3 years ago I was super low on cash and tried a $30 pair of American Eagle sandals that were just like my birk's. They didn't even last till the end of summer. No other shoe company, except maybe for Dr. Martens, make such a high quality product. And about the ugly comment, I guarantee that David has never, ever worn sandals and pays $200 for some tennis shoes just because Shaq wears 'em too. Some guys don't consider sandals manly but to them I say SHUT UP! cause I still get all the women I need. I hope I helped in some way.

paula kelly on 7/21/02 at 01:25 (090255)

I too love my birks and I get mine through Home Shopping Network. I usuallly pay about 50.00 a pair {some are more}, but I've never seen them over 100.00. I wear mine everyday, and you don't have to throw them away. All you have to do is go to a authorized birks store and they'll put on a new sole. They are a little hard to get use to at first, cause they are on the hard side, I just wore them around the house,a couple of hours,every day before I wore them all day. It takes a couple days to start to mold to your feet. HSN has a great selection. Yeh, some of them are ugly,funky,colorful, but they have just regular leather too. Try them you'll love them.

FranC on 7/24/02 at 14:16 (090502)

I have to agree with everyone, the birks are about all i can wear with my foot taped(strapped) I am a medical worker and on my feet 12+ hours a day! I wear them at home all the time too. Try E-Bay where I have been able to purchase brand new birks for as low as $45. Good luck.

David A. on 5/28/02 at 15:28 (085473)

Marie, I'm no authority on Birkenstocks. In fact I don't even own a pair; however not long ago I visited a Birkenstock store to check 'em out. Here is the little bit that I learned. They are a German shoe whose claim to fame is the cork sole that will 'mold' to your foot. Although the cork feels hard to the touch, it is supposed to cushion the foot and be the ultimate in comfort. They come in various styles - all of which are UGLY. They're also expensive - in the range of $200 and up.

Jason K. on 6/05/02 at 01:08 (086338)

I am sorry to say that DAVID A. has no idea about what he is talking about.
I have been wearing birk's for close to 10 years now and let me tell you, they are the BEST DAMN sandal/shoe I've ever worn. David was right about one thing, the soles do mold to the contour of YOUR foot, not whatever the company decided your foot should be shaped like. They are on the expensive side, but very few run close to $200. I wear a style called the milano which has 2 straps on top of foot and one wrapping around the heel. I have payed $95 for a pair, but the last ones I got for $40 on sale of course. But that was a first and probably only time. I get about 2 years out of them only because I wear them yearround and I beat the crap out of shoes. I play basketball, hike in the woods, do everything in them. They have totally replaced my tennis shoes. So I figure I pay approx. $50/year to have the most comfortable footwear I have ever tried on. I love preaching about birk's and I just love the '$100 for sandals!' comments I get. In reality, if you kept good care of them, they could easily last 3-5 years. I'll put it this way. About 3 years ago I was super low on cash and tried a $30 pair of American Eagle sandals that were just like my birk's. They didn't even last till the end of summer. No other shoe company, except maybe for Dr. Martens, make such a high quality product. And about the ugly comment, I guarantee that David has never, ever worn sandals and pays $200 for some tennis shoes just because Shaq wears 'em too. Some guys don't consider sandals manly but to them I say SHUT UP! cause I still get all the women I need. I hope I helped in some way.

paula kelly on 7/21/02 at 01:25 (090255)

I too love my birks and I get mine through Home Shopping Network. I usuallly pay about 50.00 a pair {some are more}, but I've never seen them over 100.00. I wear mine everyday, and you don't have to throw them away. All you have to do is go to a authorized birks store and they'll put on a new sole. They are a little hard to get use to at first, cause they are on the hard side, I just wore them around the house,a couple of hours,every day before I wore them all day. It takes a couple days to start to mold to your feet. HSN has a great selection. Yeh, some of them are ugly,funky,colorful, but they have just regular leather too. Try them you'll love them.

FranC on 7/24/02 at 14:16 (090502)

I have to agree with everyone, the birks are about all i can wear with my foot taped(strapped) I am a medical worker and on my feet 12+ hours a day! I wear them at home all the time too. Try E-Bay where I have been able to purchase brand new birks for as low as $45. Good luck.