Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Barefoot

Posted by Rachel W. on 4/24/02 at 11:29 (080948)

I hear a lot about not walking barefoot. When I get out of bed in the morning I hop around or if I put my bad foot down I'll go on to the ball of my foot so I'm not touching the ground with my heel until I am dressed then I put my trainers on with supports in them which then feels better.
Am I doing damage doing what I just said or should I wear my trainers as soon as I start walking?

Re: Barefoot

Carmen on 4/24/02 at 11:42 (080949)

YES you could be doing more damage!!!! You should put on your shoes before you put any weight at all on that bad foot. I would not hop around as you could do damage to the good foot as well.
If you walk on the ball of your foot you could be stretching the fascia...making a problem a BIGGER problem.

Julie on 4/24/02 at 11:58 (080951)

It's a bore putting trainers on, so you might like to do what I do: I keep my Birkenstock sandals on the floor beside my bed, and my feet slip into them the moment I swing them over the sides.

Rachel W. on 4/24/02 at 12:07 (080952)

O.K. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I think I need something to slip on easily. Especially in the middle of the night when my youngest wakes up and wants a drink.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/25/02 at 05:50 (081042)

Hi Rachel:
What I recommend to my patients is that they get a pair of open back kick ons with a heel. When they first step down they put the slip on as to transfer the pressureto the front of the foot. It helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Rachel W. on 4/25/02 at 12:14 (081094)

Thanks Dr. Cozzarelli.

CHESTER Z on 4/25/02 at 13:23 (081099)

AS SOON AS I WALK INTO THE HOUSE I TAKE OFF MY SHOES, TO KEEP THE CARPETS CLEAN AFTER NINE YEARS I NOW GOT THE PAIN IN MY HEEL. FOR ABOUT THE THREE PREVIOUS WEEKS I FELT THE PAIN COMING ON THE FIRST THING GETTING OUT OF BED.NOW AFTER A GAME OF GOLF THE PAIN BECAME SEVERE. LAST TWO DAYS I LEFT MY SHOES ON WITH HEEL SUPPORTS IN MY SHOES AND ITS GETTING BETTER.I AM 210
LBS. AND I LIKE TO WALK N THE GOLF COURSE.
IF YOU CARE TO COMMENT --MAIL TO (email removed)

Carmen on 4/24/02 at 11:42 (080949)

YES you could be doing more damage!!!! You should put on your shoes before you put any weight at all on that bad foot. I would not hop around as you could do damage to the good foot as well.
If you walk on the ball of your foot you could be stretching the fascia...making a problem a BIGGER problem.

Julie on 4/24/02 at 11:58 (080951)

It's a bore putting trainers on, so you might like to do what I do: I keep my Birkenstock sandals on the floor beside my bed, and my feet slip into them the moment I swing them over the sides.

Rachel W. on 4/24/02 at 12:07 (080952)

O.K. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I think I need something to slip on easily. Especially in the middle of the night when my youngest wakes up and wants a drink.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/25/02 at 05:50 (081042)

Hi Rachel:
What I recommend to my patients is that they get a pair of open back kick ons with a heel. When they first step down they put the slip on as to transfer the pressureto the front of the foot. It helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Rachel W. on 4/25/02 at 12:14 (081094)

Thanks Dr. Cozzarelli.

CHESTER Z on 4/25/02 at 13:23 (081099)

AS SOON AS I WALK INTO THE HOUSE I TAKE OFF MY SHOES, TO KEEP THE CARPETS CLEAN AFTER NINE YEARS I NOW GOT THE PAIN IN MY HEEL. FOR ABOUT THE THREE PREVIOUS WEEKS I FELT THE PAIN COMING ON THE FIRST THING GETTING OUT OF BED.NOW AFTER A GAME OF GOLF THE PAIN BECAME SEVERE. LAST TWO DAYS I LEFT MY SHOES ON WITH HEEL SUPPORTS IN MY SHOES AND ITS GETTING BETTER.I AM 210
LBS. AND I LIKE TO WALK N THE GOLF COURSE.
IF YOU CARE TO COMMENT --MAIL TO (email removed)