Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Do Loose Fitting Shoes Feel Better To Walk In??

Posted by Mike S. on 4/24/02 at 12:41 (080953)

I have peripherial neuropathy (other than entrapment neuropathy) and TTS. Very loose fitting shoes feel much better to walk in. It seems the top of the shoe pressing down on the top of the foot aggravates my symptoms.

I'm trying to figure out if that is because of my neuropathy or if you folks that have a 'pure' TTS experience the same.

Re: Do Loose Fitting Shoes Feel Better To Walk In??

Sharon W on 4/25/02 at 19:21 (081128)

Mike,

I don't know how many people with 'pure' TTS you will be able to find. It seems like many of the people who post on this board and have TTS, also have PF (like I do) or some other problem such as diabetes or fibromyalgia.

I CAN tell you that I am MISERABLE in shoes that are too tight; it definitely makes my symptoms worse and it HURTS the top of my foot, the bottom of my foot, my toes, EVERYWHERE! My feet have just become SO much more sensitive to pressure on them, since I developed these problems.

-- Sharon

Cheri A on 4/25/02 at 21:53 (081143)

My only diagnosis has been TTS, and my experience says it is important to wear a shoe that supports your foot well, and fits right. BUT it was just today that I realized the shoes I have been wearing feel too tight now, and I believe that are causing me more pain! These shoes 'fit' because my toes do not come close to the tip of the shoe, but it feels like the tops of the shoes are putting pressure on the tops of my feet, just like you say yours are. I think I may try a wider shoe to see if that helps and still provides good support. Have you tried that?

Re: Thankyou, Now I Don't Feel Like Odd Person Out - Does Your Big Toe

Mike S. on 4/25/02 at 22:21 (081146)

Does your big toes really hurt also? That is in addition to other toes & metatarsal area? My big toes started hurting long after other parts of my feet were hurting.

Sharon W on 4/25/02 at 22:30 (081148)

Mine do, at times. Certainly they do when my shoes are too tight!

-- Sharon

Cheri A on 4/26/02 at 00:26 (081161)

No, my big toes are the least painful part of my feet!
i do have a middle toe that occasionally waves from side to side on its' own accord! Isn't that weird?

Matt L on 4/26/02 at 07:46 (081171)

Same here. I try and avoid any pressure on the top of my foot close to the ankle and the inside of the ankle in the TTS area.

Sharon W on 4/25/02 at 19:21 (081128)

Mike,

I don't know how many people with 'pure' TTS you will be able to find. It seems like many of the people who post on this board and have TTS, also have PF (like I do) or some other problem such as diabetes or fibromyalgia.

I CAN tell you that I am MISERABLE in shoes that are too tight; it definitely makes my symptoms worse and it HURTS the top of my foot, the bottom of my foot, my toes, EVERYWHERE! My feet have just become SO much more sensitive to pressure on them, since I developed these problems.

-- Sharon

Cheri A on 4/25/02 at 21:53 (081143)

My only diagnosis has been TTS, and my experience says it is important to wear a shoe that supports your foot well, and fits right. BUT it was just today that I realized the shoes I have been wearing feel too tight now, and I believe that are causing me more pain! These shoes 'fit' because my toes do not come close to the tip of the shoe, but it feels like the tops of the shoes are putting pressure on the tops of my feet, just like you say yours are. I think I may try a wider shoe to see if that helps and still provides good support. Have you tried that?

Mike S. on 4/25/02 at 22:21 (081146)

Does your big toes really hurt also? That is in addition to other toes & metatarsal area? My big toes started hurting long after other parts of my feet were hurting.

Sharon W on 4/25/02 at 22:30 (081148)

Mine do, at times. Certainly they do when my shoes are too tight!

-- Sharon

Cheri A on 4/26/02 at 00:26 (081161)

No, my big toes are the least painful part of my feet!
i do have a middle toe that occasionally waves from side to side on its' own accord! Isn't that weird?

Matt L on 4/26/02 at 07:46 (081171)

Same here. I try and avoid any pressure on the top of my foot close to the ankle and the inside of the ankle in the TTS area.