Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

VP Dick Cheney on crutches

Posted by BrianG on 4/24/02 at 14:07 (080962)

From my local newspaper: 'Vice President Dick Cheney was on crutches Monday.....with an inflamed Achilles tendon'. A spokeswoman reported that Cheney had banged his heel on the corner of a table at the VP residence on Saturday. He walked on it all day, then saw his military doc, who put him on crutches, ice, Tylenol, and keeping it elevatd.

Well, I wonder what the odds are of this injury turning into a severe case of PF? Not that I would like to see that, but it could help some people at the top see what we are dealing with, and the lack of insurance paying for ESWT. OK, whose going to follow up on this :*)

BrianG

Re: VP Dick Cheney on crutches

Carole C in NOLA on 4/24/02 at 15:40 (080977)

Wow, and we think WE have reasons we can't rest and stay off our feet! Imagine dealing with Achilles tendonitis and probably PF, and having to be Vice President too.

All politics aside, he has my deep sympathy.

Carole C

nancy s. on 4/24/02 at 17:42 (080999)

carole, i'd take being vice president any day (horrid job though it must be), if it meant i could have avoided pf, achilles tendonitis, peroneal tendonitis, and posterior tib tendonitis -- all at the same time! oh yeah, i forgot to throw in two frozen shoulders and a case of major depression. actually, if i had the medical care a vp must get, i'd have worried a lot less.

well, heck, i think i'd have done just about anything as a trade-off if possible -- garbage collector for 20 y ears? put on my rat suit and scurry through undercities? been a fact checker for dr. laura?

nancy

Sharon W on 4/24/02 at 17:50 (081000)

Brian,

With HIS medical care, if Cheney's problem turns into PF it will definitely be unavoidable. But I agree, it would certainly bring a LOT more public awareness to PF... like what happened when George and Barbara Bush BOTH got Graves' Disease!

-- Sharon

John h on 4/24/02 at 18:16 (081002)

nancy: believe it or not the vp gets a 'military doctor' usually from the nearby naval hospital. i guess if he wanted to spend his own bucks he could go to Mayo or Johns Hopkins.

Steve P on 4/24/02 at 18:29 (081003)

OK, Nancy......'now go do the right thing'

:-)

Sharon W on 4/24/02 at 21:15 (081017)

Yeah but I bet Cheney gets the BEST doctors the military has to offer!

-- Sharon

Pam B on 4/25/02 at 06:11 (081045)

The best doctors and waited on hand an foot (excuse the expression :) I agree with Nancy on this one.....I bet ya he wont spend eight years suffering and plus he can afford to pay for any kind of treatments he wants to have......and oh yeah, it is nice to know he can do this on our tax dollars.....so being VP sure has its advantages :)

BrianG on 4/25/02 at 07:45 (081056)

Your so right Pam, but it will still be good for the cause if we can get to him, after we find out if he develops PF. I looked yesterday, but couldn't find an official website for the VP, that had any kind of e-mail address attached. We'll have to keep our ears open, and use snail mail if necessary. He may get all the best treatment, but he should also be made aware of how the rest of the country gets their medicine, especially if it goes as far as ESWT!

BrianG

Carole C on 4/25/02 at 09:25 (081069)

I still feel sorry for him. He's another human being dealing with this PF monster and the Achilles tendonitis monster that so many of us have as well.

If paying a lot of money would immediately cure PF, I would have been back on my feet last October, the month after I got PF. I'm not rich at all and work for a living, but I would have borrowed money, dipped into my retirement, taken on another job, or done WHATEVER it took. That's how much I hate this monster!!!

Carole

nancy s. on 4/25/02 at 17:31 (081123)

carole: i didn't say i didn't feel sorry for his pain. i simply know he has a lot more resources to deal with this thing. if i'd had his resources, i doubt the triple tendonitises and depression would have been piled onto the pf. those who have either lots of money or good insurance through an employer may have a better chance for early recovery. there are plenty of other people who don't.

just my experience, plus my observations of many other folks (such as the self-employed, like myself) outside the health insurance system. here's just one of many reasons: if you don't have insurance and/or money, you put off going to the doctor until you absolutely have to go. and then you stick with one even if he doesn't seem too swift, rather than start over with an expensive evaluation by another doctor.

would i have done it differently, money or no money, if i knew in 1999 what i know now? of course. but i didn't know, and neither do a lot of other people who deserve as fast a recovery as people with money and/or insurance. i've worked full-time all my life and paid the usual taxes plus self-employment taxes. and once i realized the tenaciousness of what i was dealing with footwise, we went into rather large debt to try to take care of it.

where is TEX-BARB? she must be in agony over cheney's tendonitis! i think i feel even more sympathy for poor barb's heart pangs and throbs.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 4/25/02 at 19:19 (081127)

Nancy, I'm so sorry that your PF and triple tendonitis and depression have been so bad! I sure don't wish that on anybody, much less you.

How are your feet doing today? I like your photos. You look like such a nice person.

Carole C

nancy s. on 4/25/02 at 22:17 (081145)

thanks, carole! actually i think i mention all that stuff too often -- i apologize --and i'm far better today than i was three years ago. it just gets me sometimes, because i had bad pf for 8 months with a do-nothing teach-nothing pod, basically was crippled by that time, and then we couldn't afford insurance anymore, so i had no doctor and all the other stuff developed. i then went through the worst two years of my life, and i think it might have been avoided if i'd had a good doctor, been able to afford physical therapy sooner, and so on.

my feet still ache and get tired and swollen if i overdo it, but at least i can walk and work again! for a while there i thought i never would.

if it hadn't been for heelspurs.com (which i found in december 1999) and all the great people here, who knows where i'd be? i have a lot to be thankful for.

i hope you continue to progress!
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 4/25/02 at 22:53 (081152)

Nancy, I'm glad that you can walk and work again. I know it must be discouraging that after all this time your feet still ache and get tired and swollen if you overdo, as do mine. I think our feet are telling us to cut them some slack as needed, to stay free of PF. Still, like you I'm so glad to be able to DO things again.

I hope you have a nice evening. It's finally cooled off a little bit in New Orleans, and there's a slight breeze. Tomorrow is my day off, and I'm actually looking forward to doing some major apartment cleaning. Now that's something you only hear from someone recovering from PF. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 4/25/02 at 23:02 (081153)

it's true -- even housekeeping becomes a thrill after you learn to walk again. (it's lost its novelty for me, though, sorry to say.)

most days i feel accepting of the probably-forever 'management' of my feet. now and then i have a day where i feel discouraged and still tired of it. today was one -- i bet you guessed!

'a slight breeze' -- that sounds nice. we had one of the best winters on record here in maine, but tonight for some reason it decided to snow. my husband and i went to a ray charles concert in portland and emerged into fluffy white stuff, and drove home on a very slick turnpike, passing THREE ditched tractor-trailers on the way. did i have to mention a million times that 'i think it's getting Really Slippery out there'? you betcha.

i hope you have a wonderful day off.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 4/25/02 at 23:52 (081156)

Wow, snow! For some reason I knew you live near Portland but I was thinking Oregon, not Maine. I think that is so cool (literally too!).

I am not quite ready to start summer, but despite my yearning for just one more cold front and a big thunderstorm, it looks like summer might have already begun here. Still, the slight breeze gives me some hope that maybe summer will wait, just a little bit.

With any luck the thrill of housekeeping won't wear off before I finish it and do a couple of loads of laundry. In the morning I'm going to put on my NB, turn on some brisk music, and start cleaning. The NB should help since they are so much bouncier than my Birkenstocks.

I love Ray Charles. He's one of a kind.

You are right. I guessed that today you felt a little discouraged, but you have every right to be, after so many years of foot pain! I have only had this for 7 months 3 days, and it seems like eternity. I can hardly imagine how long your foot pain must seem to have lasted.

I hope that tomorrow is a good foot day for you, so that you don't have to deal with it so much. Well, I'm going to bed and to do my pre-sleeping stretches. They seem to help me a lot, and keep my tendons loose while I sleep. Good night!

Carole C

JudyS on 4/26/02 at 16:37 (081224)

More likely that Mr. Cheney hurt his heel when he was distracted by his true love down there in Texas.......(I wonder, though, if he knows that TexBarb is his true love?)

JudyS on 4/26/02 at 16:42 (081225)

'Rat' suit, NancyS? Hmmmmmm. What does it look like and what does one actually do while scurrying through the underbelly of the city? How's the pay? You conjure up such images!
I always heard that being the VP of the USA was just about the easiest job there is - not much stressful stuff to do unless you're hunkered down in a bomb-proof shelter hoping that the 'other shoe' doesn't drop.

JudyS on 4/26/02 at 16:50 (081226)

On the other hand, Mr. Cheney has a lot more than mere money. He has the best of the best medical care. His doctors probably LISTEN to him. And they probably bring out all the best equipment and methods immediately instead of making him go through cheap, half-baked methods first.

Sharon W on 4/26/02 at 17:20 (081231)

Judy,

I agree 100%. Don't misunderstand me, I do not wish Cheney pain and suffering and I certainly hope he DOESN'T get PF.

But you can bet he has a doctor (probably a pod and/or an ortho at the TOP of his career) checking his heel AT LEAST 2-3 times per week. And I'm sure they don't have a 'time limit' on how long they spend with him, either. They probably took the time to teach him all about his foot problem and to show him the X-rays and the diagnostic ultrasound and explain what he was seeing. And THEN they probably went over the treatment options with him, explaining each one and its advantages and disadvantages... We're talking Marcus Welby, M.D. here! (Am I the ONLY one old enough to remember that show??!)

-- Sharon

nancy s. on 4/26/02 at 18:11 (081236)

well, judy, wouldn't you know: just before i came down with pf in 1999 i was hired by the city of portland to be a sewer rat, because we don't have enough of them here. i bought my rat suit and everything, and then -- bam! -- i got up the first morning i was to report to work and couldn't walk. my rat career was over before it even began.

i'll try to crash a rat union meeting and get more details for you on the sly.

nancy

Re: No more Tequila for breakfast

wendyn on 4/26/02 at 21:01 (081246)

What the hell are you talking about Nancy?

John h on 4/26/02 at 22:36 (081263)

No you are not the only one who remembers Marcus Welby, M.D. Do you remember Dr. Hudson on TV or Dr. Gilispe?

John h on 4/26/02 at 22:37 (081264)

Judy his doctors may listen to him but I would not bet on his wife listening to him?

Julie on 4/27/02 at 05:21 (081285)

...and not only that, Judy. They know he is a Very Important Person with a Very Important Job to do. Rather like a footballer, only maybe not quite so important. So the bottom line is Get Dick Back to Work Fast.

nancy s. on 4/27/02 at 07:49 (081295)

i don't know what i'm talking about, wendy. it's one of my charms. i'm a little envious of you, though: i don't think a rat suit can compare to what you must wear as the goddess of sex and love. maybe you don't want to teach john, but i think you owe it to your fellow females to elaborate and give us the nitty-gritty scoop.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 09:02 (081301)

Yes, we are here to learn, Wendy. But don't let the guys hear. They think this goddess of sex and love stuff comes naturally. :)

Carole C

wendyn on 4/27/02 at 09:18 (081303)

You women are insane.

If knowing that you need to keep your feet out of the way during sex makes me the Godess of Sex and Love then so be it.

I will graciously accept this title, becaue I have known this for a long time. It must be a gift - I knew instinctively.

Maybe that's why 'y'all' have such sore feet?

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 09:31 (081309)

I even remember Dr. Kildaire! (But I don't know if I spelled it right -- my babysitter used to watch that show and I remember being fascinated by the idea of a doctor named KILL - DARE!)

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 09:37 (081310)

And Ben Casey too, I'll bet! All the other girls in my junior high thought Dr. Ben Casey was SOOOOO sexy, but I thought Dr. Kildare was more handsome at the time. The 'which is more handsome' discussion was the main topic during school lunches.

Carole C

Re: Which Dr. was more handsome?

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 11:49 (081322)

Carole,

Nope I don't remember Casey -- I really WAS a little girl at that point -- but I've heard of him, of course...

Back to Marcus Welby, I used to think his young sidekick was handsome -- what was his name in the show? -- and I watched it FAITHFULLY!

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 13:02 (081330)

My Dad thought Welby's secretary was the perfect secretary! He used to say that a secretary like her would be a tremendous asset, if only he could find one. She was black, and I don't remember her name. Was Welby's sidekick Dr. Kyle? or Dr. Kyle Somebody, or something?

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 13:16 (081332)

Carole,

Yes, I do think his first name was something like Kyle... funny that I can't remember that, I never missed a show! (And I haven't even STARTED the Neurontin...)

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 13:26 (081335)

OK, this was driving me nuts so I looked it up in my search engine. His name was Dr. Steven Kiley.

http://www.mbcnet.org/ETV/M/htmlM/marcuswelby/marcuswelby.htm

Carole C

Re: Dr. Kiley

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 13:34 (081337)

Carole,

COOL! And you were right...

For some reason I did remember that James Brolin was the actor who played Kiley (although I wasn't QUITE sure enough of it to say so...) but the name of the character he played completely escaped me!

It looks like both Young and Brolin are still alive, but I can't think of anything I've seen either of them in recently.

Do you remember the name of the secretary?

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 13:43 (081339)

No, and I was looking at the list of the cast members on that website, and I wonder if maybe she was Hispanic rather than black. I see there's a character named Consuelo Lopez listed. Although that name is familiar, I could have sworn that the secretary that I'm thinking of was played by a black actress, perhaps the first I'd seen on television.

If my Dad were still alive, I'm sure he'd know! He thought she portrayed the perfect secretary. Always pleasant, organized, and had everything under control no matter how crazy things got. :)

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 13:45 (081342)

Carole,

You might be right, but I believe Welby had a Hispanic housekeeper who was an important figure in the show... didn't he?

(It really HAS been a long time!)

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 13:48 (081343)

Yes! That must have been Consuelo Lopez. At least we have THAT figured out. LOL

My Dad was a surgeon and watched all the medical dramas. He thought Ben Casey and Dr. Kildare were atrocious from a scientific point of view, but he liked the Marcus Welby show a lot in comparison with them.

Carole C

Donna SL on 4/27/02 at 14:15 (081347)

Ok,

I'm showing my age.

Does anyone remember the Ben Casey, and Dr. Kildare cards? They were sort of like baseball cards with their pictures on them, and we used to exchange them. I think both series were shown in the same week (early to mid 60's). I was a little girl at the time in grade school, but I liked Dr. Kildare better, and most of the girls thought he was the cute one. Dr. Kildare was played by Richard Chamberlain, and Dr. Casey was played by Vince Edwards (deceased).

Donna

John h on 4/27/02 at 15:42 (081362)

What does it feel like to be the 'Goddess of Sex and Love'? Is it like winning the world series? I need help here. I have heard of The Doctor of Love but Goddess---my oh my--- the snow must keep you inside to long up there in the north country.

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 16:27 (081367)

Carole,

How interesting that your dad liked to watch all the medical dramas! I am not surprised that he complained about them being unrealistic or medically inaccurate, though.

I remember reading once that Marcus Welby, M.D. actually hired medical consultants to check their scripts for inaccuracies, and that is probably why he didn't complain about that particular show...

My dad had 3 brothers who were lawyers and they all HATED lawyer/ court dramas, complaining that they were 'unrealistic' and the lawyers kept doing things that nobody could ever get by with in a real court. They ESPECIALLY hated Perry Mason (another one of my favorites as a child!)

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 17:23 (081370)

I loved Perry Mason too. I think the re-runs of that are still showing.

Carole C

John h on 4/28/02 at 19:27 (081506)

Sharon: Do you remember who played Dr. Gilispie in the Dr. Kildare movies? It was Lionel Barrymore who I think is the Great Grandfather of Drew Barrymore. Maybe it was Drew's Great Great Grandfather as he died around 1952. Seems he was always in a wheelchair in the Dr. Kildare series and I wonder if he had PF?

JudyS on 4/29/02 at 09:35 (081572)

Seriously, folks, Dr. Kildare is the only one worth remembering.......:)

JudyS on 4/29/02 at 09:38 (081573)

Hey Wendy - does a Goddess of Sex and Love wash the floor? On her hands and knees? :) :) Sorry Carmen, I'll leave you alone now!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/24/02 at 15:40 (080977)

Wow, and we think WE have reasons we can't rest and stay off our feet! Imagine dealing with Achilles tendonitis and probably PF, and having to be Vice President too.

All politics aside, he has my deep sympathy.

Carole C

nancy s. on 4/24/02 at 17:42 (080999)

carole, i'd take being vice president any day (horrid job though it must be), if it meant i could have avoided pf, achilles tendonitis, peroneal tendonitis, and posterior tib tendonitis -- all at the same time! oh yeah, i forgot to throw in two frozen shoulders and a case of major depression. actually, if i had the medical care a vp must get, i'd have worried a lot less.

well, heck, i think i'd have done just about anything as a trade-off if possible -- garbage collector for 20 y ears? put on my rat suit and scurry through undercities? been a fact checker for dr. laura?

nancy

Sharon W on 4/24/02 at 17:50 (081000)

Brian,

With HIS medical care, if Cheney's problem turns into PF it will definitely be unavoidable. But I agree, it would certainly bring a LOT more public awareness to PF... like what happened when George and Barbara Bush BOTH got Graves' Disease!

-- Sharon

John h on 4/24/02 at 18:16 (081002)

nancy: believe it or not the vp gets a 'military doctor' usually from the nearby naval hospital. i guess if he wanted to spend his own bucks he could go to Mayo or Johns Hopkins.

Steve P on 4/24/02 at 18:29 (081003)

OK, Nancy......'now go do the right thing'

:-)

Sharon W on 4/24/02 at 21:15 (081017)

Yeah but I bet Cheney gets the BEST doctors the military has to offer!

-- Sharon

Pam B on 4/25/02 at 06:11 (081045)

The best doctors and waited on hand an foot (excuse the expression :) I agree with Nancy on this one.....I bet ya he wont spend eight years suffering and plus he can afford to pay for any kind of treatments he wants to have......and oh yeah, it is nice to know he can do this on our tax dollars.....so being VP sure has its advantages :)

BrianG on 4/25/02 at 07:45 (081056)

Your so right Pam, but it will still be good for the cause if we can get to him, after we find out if he develops PF. I looked yesterday, but couldn't find an official website for the VP, that had any kind of e-mail address attached. We'll have to keep our ears open, and use snail mail if necessary. He may get all the best treatment, but he should also be made aware of how the rest of the country gets their medicine, especially if it goes as far as ESWT!

BrianG

Carole C on 4/25/02 at 09:25 (081069)

I still feel sorry for him. He's another human being dealing with this PF monster and the Achilles tendonitis monster that so many of us have as well.

If paying a lot of money would immediately cure PF, I would have been back on my feet last October, the month after I got PF. I'm not rich at all and work for a living, but I would have borrowed money, dipped into my retirement, taken on another job, or done WHATEVER it took. That's how much I hate this monster!!!

Carole

nancy s. on 4/25/02 at 17:31 (081123)

carole: i didn't say i didn't feel sorry for his pain. i simply know he has a lot more resources to deal with this thing. if i'd had his resources, i doubt the triple tendonitises and depression would have been piled onto the pf. those who have either lots of money or good insurance through an employer may have a better chance for early recovery. there are plenty of other people who don't.

just my experience, plus my observations of many other folks (such as the self-employed, like myself) outside the health insurance system. here's just one of many reasons: if you don't have insurance and/or money, you put off going to the doctor until you absolutely have to go. and then you stick with one even if he doesn't seem too swift, rather than start over with an expensive evaluation by another doctor.

would i have done it differently, money or no money, if i knew in 1999 what i know now? of course. but i didn't know, and neither do a lot of other people who deserve as fast a recovery as people with money and/or insurance. i've worked full-time all my life and paid the usual taxes plus self-employment taxes. and once i realized the tenaciousness of what i was dealing with footwise, we went into rather large debt to try to take care of it.

where is TEX-BARB? she must be in agony over cheney's tendonitis! i think i feel even more sympathy for poor barb's heart pangs and throbs.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 4/25/02 at 19:19 (081127)

Nancy, I'm so sorry that your PF and triple tendonitis and depression have been so bad! I sure don't wish that on anybody, much less you.

How are your feet doing today? I like your photos. You look like such a nice person.

Carole C

nancy s. on 4/25/02 at 22:17 (081145)

thanks, carole! actually i think i mention all that stuff too often -- i apologize --and i'm far better today than i was three years ago. it just gets me sometimes, because i had bad pf for 8 months with a do-nothing teach-nothing pod, basically was crippled by that time, and then we couldn't afford insurance anymore, so i had no doctor and all the other stuff developed. i then went through the worst two years of my life, and i think it might have been avoided if i'd had a good doctor, been able to afford physical therapy sooner, and so on.

my feet still ache and get tired and swollen if i overdo it, but at least i can walk and work again! for a while there i thought i never would.

if it hadn't been for heelspurs.com (which i found in december 1999) and all the great people here, who knows where i'd be? i have a lot to be thankful for.

i hope you continue to progress!
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 4/25/02 at 22:53 (081152)

Nancy, I'm glad that you can walk and work again. I know it must be discouraging that after all this time your feet still ache and get tired and swollen if you overdo, as do mine. I think our feet are telling us to cut them some slack as needed, to stay free of PF. Still, like you I'm so glad to be able to DO things again.

I hope you have a nice evening. It's finally cooled off a little bit in New Orleans, and there's a slight breeze. Tomorrow is my day off, and I'm actually looking forward to doing some major apartment cleaning. Now that's something you only hear from someone recovering from PF. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 4/25/02 at 23:02 (081153)

it's true -- even housekeeping becomes a thrill after you learn to walk again. (it's lost its novelty for me, though, sorry to say.)

most days i feel accepting of the probably-forever 'management' of my feet. now and then i have a day where i feel discouraged and still tired of it. today was one -- i bet you guessed!

'a slight breeze' -- that sounds nice. we had one of the best winters on record here in maine, but tonight for some reason it decided to snow. my husband and i went to a ray charles concert in portland and emerged into fluffy white stuff, and drove home on a very slick turnpike, passing THREE ditched tractor-trailers on the way. did i have to mention a million times that 'i think it's getting Really Slippery out there'? you betcha.

i hope you have a wonderful day off.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 4/25/02 at 23:52 (081156)

Wow, snow! For some reason I knew you live near Portland but I was thinking Oregon, not Maine. I think that is so cool (literally too!).

I am not quite ready to start summer, but despite my yearning for just one more cold front and a big thunderstorm, it looks like summer might have already begun here. Still, the slight breeze gives me some hope that maybe summer will wait, just a little bit.

With any luck the thrill of housekeeping won't wear off before I finish it and do a couple of loads of laundry. In the morning I'm going to put on my NB, turn on some brisk music, and start cleaning. The NB should help since they are so much bouncier than my Birkenstocks.

I love Ray Charles. He's one of a kind.

You are right. I guessed that today you felt a little discouraged, but you have every right to be, after so many years of foot pain! I have only had this for 7 months 3 days, and it seems like eternity. I can hardly imagine how long your foot pain must seem to have lasted.

I hope that tomorrow is a good foot day for you, so that you don't have to deal with it so much. Well, I'm going to bed and to do my pre-sleeping stretches. They seem to help me a lot, and keep my tendons loose while I sleep. Good night!

Carole C

JudyS on 4/26/02 at 16:37 (081224)

More likely that Mr. Cheney hurt his heel when he was distracted by his true love down there in Texas.......(I wonder, though, if he knows that TexBarb is his true love?)

JudyS on 4/26/02 at 16:42 (081225)

'Rat' suit, NancyS? Hmmmmmm. What does it look like and what does one actually do while scurrying through the underbelly of the city? How's the pay? You conjure up such images!
I always heard that being the VP of the USA was just about the easiest job there is - not much stressful stuff to do unless you're hunkered down in a bomb-proof shelter hoping that the 'other shoe' doesn't drop.

JudyS on 4/26/02 at 16:50 (081226)

On the other hand, Mr. Cheney has a lot more than mere money. He has the best of the best medical care. His doctors probably LISTEN to him. And they probably bring out all the best equipment and methods immediately instead of making him go through cheap, half-baked methods first.

Sharon W on 4/26/02 at 17:20 (081231)

Judy,

I agree 100%. Don't misunderstand me, I do not wish Cheney pain and suffering and I certainly hope he DOESN'T get PF.

But you can bet he has a doctor (probably a pod and/or an ortho at the TOP of his career) checking his heel AT LEAST 2-3 times per week. And I'm sure they don't have a 'time limit' on how long they spend with him, either. They probably took the time to teach him all about his foot problem and to show him the X-rays and the diagnostic ultrasound and explain what he was seeing. And THEN they probably went over the treatment options with him, explaining each one and its advantages and disadvantages... We're talking Marcus Welby, M.D. here! (Am I the ONLY one old enough to remember that show??!)

-- Sharon

nancy s. on 4/26/02 at 18:11 (081236)

well, judy, wouldn't you know: just before i came down with pf in 1999 i was hired by the city of portland to be a sewer rat, because we don't have enough of them here. i bought my rat suit and everything, and then -- bam! -- i got up the first morning i was to report to work and couldn't walk. my rat career was over before it even began.

i'll try to crash a rat union meeting and get more details for you on the sly.

nancy

wendyn on 4/26/02 at 21:01 (081246)

What the hell are you talking about Nancy?

John h on 4/26/02 at 22:36 (081263)

No you are not the only one who remembers Marcus Welby, M.D. Do you remember Dr. Hudson on TV or Dr. Gilispe?

John h on 4/26/02 at 22:37 (081264)

Judy his doctors may listen to him but I would not bet on his wife listening to him?

Julie on 4/27/02 at 05:21 (081285)

...and not only that, Judy. They know he is a Very Important Person with a Very Important Job to do. Rather like a footballer, only maybe not quite so important. So the bottom line is Get Dick Back to Work Fast.

nancy s. on 4/27/02 at 07:49 (081295)

i don't know what i'm talking about, wendy. it's one of my charms. i'm a little envious of you, though: i don't think a rat suit can compare to what you must wear as the goddess of sex and love. maybe you don't want to teach john, but i think you owe it to your fellow females to elaborate and give us the nitty-gritty scoop.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 09:02 (081301)

Yes, we are here to learn, Wendy. But don't let the guys hear. They think this goddess of sex and love stuff comes naturally. :)

Carole C

wendyn on 4/27/02 at 09:18 (081303)

You women are insane.

If knowing that you need to keep your feet out of the way during sex makes me the Godess of Sex and Love then so be it.

I will graciously accept this title, becaue I have known this for a long time. It must be a gift - I knew instinctively.

Maybe that's why 'y'all' have such sore feet?

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 09:31 (081309)

I even remember Dr. Kildaire! (But I don't know if I spelled it right -- my babysitter used to watch that show and I remember being fascinated by the idea of a doctor named KILL - DARE!)

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 09:37 (081310)

And Ben Casey too, I'll bet! All the other girls in my junior high thought Dr. Ben Casey was SOOOOO sexy, but I thought Dr. Kildare was more handsome at the time. The 'which is more handsome' discussion was the main topic during school lunches.

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 11:49 (081322)

Carole,

Nope I don't remember Casey -- I really WAS a little girl at that point -- but I've heard of him, of course...

Back to Marcus Welby, I used to think his young sidekick was handsome -- what was his name in the show? -- and I watched it FAITHFULLY!

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 13:02 (081330)

My Dad thought Welby's secretary was the perfect secretary! He used to say that a secretary like her would be a tremendous asset, if only he could find one. She was black, and I don't remember her name. Was Welby's sidekick Dr. Kyle? or Dr. Kyle Somebody, or something?

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 13:16 (081332)

Carole,

Yes, I do think his first name was something like Kyle... funny that I can't remember that, I never missed a show! (And I haven't even STARTED the Neurontin...)

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 13:26 (081335)

OK, this was driving me nuts so I looked it up in my search engine. His name was Dr. Steven Kiley.

http://www.mbcnet.org/ETV/M/htmlM/marcuswelby/marcuswelby.htm

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 13:34 (081337)

Carole,

COOL! And you were right...

For some reason I did remember that James Brolin was the actor who played Kiley (although I wasn't QUITE sure enough of it to say so...) but the name of the character he played completely escaped me!

It looks like both Young and Brolin are still alive, but I can't think of anything I've seen either of them in recently.

Do you remember the name of the secretary?

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 13:43 (081339)

No, and I was looking at the list of the cast members on that website, and I wonder if maybe she was Hispanic rather than black. I see there's a character named Consuelo Lopez listed. Although that name is familiar, I could have sworn that the secretary that I'm thinking of was played by a black actress, perhaps the first I'd seen on television.

If my Dad were still alive, I'm sure he'd know! He thought she portrayed the perfect secretary. Always pleasant, organized, and had everything under control no matter how crazy things got. :)

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 13:45 (081342)

Carole,

You might be right, but I believe Welby had a Hispanic housekeeper who was an important figure in the show... didn't he?

(It really HAS been a long time!)

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 13:48 (081343)

Yes! That must have been Consuelo Lopez. At least we have THAT figured out. LOL

My Dad was a surgeon and watched all the medical dramas. He thought Ben Casey and Dr. Kildare were atrocious from a scientific point of view, but he liked the Marcus Welby show a lot in comparison with them.

Carole C

Donna SL on 4/27/02 at 14:15 (081347)

Ok,

I'm showing my age.

Does anyone remember the Ben Casey, and Dr. Kildare cards? They were sort of like baseball cards with their pictures on them, and we used to exchange them. I think both series were shown in the same week (early to mid 60's). I was a little girl at the time in grade school, but I liked Dr. Kildare better, and most of the girls thought he was the cute one. Dr. Kildare was played by Richard Chamberlain, and Dr. Casey was played by Vince Edwards (deceased).

Donna

John h on 4/27/02 at 15:42 (081362)

What does it feel like to be the 'Goddess of Sex and Love'? Is it like winning the world series? I need help here. I have heard of The Doctor of Love but Goddess---my oh my--- the snow must keep you inside to long up there in the north country.

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 16:27 (081367)

Carole,

How interesting that your dad liked to watch all the medical dramas! I am not surprised that he complained about them being unrealistic or medically inaccurate, though.

I remember reading once that Marcus Welby, M.D. actually hired medical consultants to check their scripts for inaccuracies, and that is probably why he didn't complain about that particular show...

My dad had 3 brothers who were lawyers and they all HATED lawyer/ court dramas, complaining that they were 'unrealistic' and the lawyers kept doing things that nobody could ever get by with in a real court. They ESPECIALLY hated Perry Mason (another one of my favorites as a child!)

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 17:23 (081370)

I loved Perry Mason too. I think the re-runs of that are still showing.

Carole C

John h on 4/28/02 at 19:27 (081506)

Sharon: Do you remember who played Dr. Gilispie in the Dr. Kildare movies? It was Lionel Barrymore who I think is the Great Grandfather of Drew Barrymore. Maybe it was Drew's Great Great Grandfather as he died around 1952. Seems he was always in a wheelchair in the Dr. Kildare series and I wonder if he had PF?

JudyS on 4/29/02 at 09:35 (081572)

Seriously, folks, Dr. Kildare is the only one worth remembering.......:)

JudyS on 4/29/02 at 09:38 (081573)

Hey Wendy - does a Goddess of Sex and Love wash the floor? On her hands and knees? :) :) Sorry Carmen, I'll leave you alone now!