Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

mahatmelissa

Posted by Carmen on 4/24/02 at 17:15 (080996)

I JUST sw your post about talking to your mom about the TTS test! The posts moved to quick and I missed it..I apologize!
I try always to respond to poststo me.
Anyway! that would be great if she can do it! She would be able to set you at ease as well...being your mom and all and the test might be a bit better.
I had one too last fall...they are painful but on a scale of one to ten? a 5 maybe...notthat bad. You just have to relax. BUT definitely get it done.

Re: mahatmelissa is a scardy cat

Mahatmelissama on 4/25/02 at 10:23 (081079)

Carmen, you are so sweet to think of me!

I am tired of pain...my mom told me it is unplesant and painful. I might have it done but not till next month...
I am trying to get up the courage. My mom would have to just go through with the test and ignore painful protests.

I don't know if I have this...I have most of my pain in my arches, not my ankles or sides of ankles...

How do you bear this test?

I have had a doctor who basically almost kicked me out of her door for yelling before...my mom wouldn't and there would
be no one there...but I still have fear.

Did you yell during your test?

Carmen on 4/25/02 at 10:58 (081084)

Nooo...I got educated about it and just took deep relaxing breaths. It's not THAT bad...really. I am a big wimp who hates getting a shot and I went through it fine.
If you don't have the pain in the sides of your ankles i wouldn't worry too much about TTS...but who told you you had this??
But if you do have a chance of having TTS....get the test done now. the longer you wait..the worse you'll make it seem. When you are stressed and tense...everything is worse.
Courage is something we can all use more of....I believe it comes from facing the things that scare us the most...it won't go away until you dea lwith it head on.
keep us posted!

Re: Mahatmelissa is NOT a scardy cat

Carole C in NOLA on 4/25/02 at 12:36 (081098)

Mahatmelissama, you are NOT a scaredy cat. At least, I don't think you are.

Sometimes the fact that the doctor's your parent can either make it less scary, or it can be worse. A person usually associated their mother with nurturing, caring, and comfort, not with pain. The pain could seem worse because you just aren't psychologically expecting it, or it could be easier because she's your Mom and you know she won't hurt you. The whole dynamic is so complex and the psychology of it goes back to your childhood. So the decision to have your mother do the test is more complicated than the decision to have another doctor do it.

Just some thoughts on that topic. I, for one, don't think you are a scaredy cat. If it seems like a good thing to do, then go for it! But if you have reservations, I don't think you should.

Carole C

Re: Mahatmelissa is hungry for chocolate

Mahatmelissama on 4/26/02 at 00:04 (081158)

I might have it done...but not for another month or more. Can you tell me more what it feels like?

Is is also normal to feel great after PT (ultrasound and massage) and then
feel lousy later? (soreness)

Re: by the way, I change subject all the time...abstractly eom. ;)

Mahatmelissama on 4/26/02 at 00:05 (081159)

Sharon W on 4/26/02 at 08:38 (081173)

Have you ever gotten a 'shock' from touching something metal after moving around a lot in a really fluffy synthetic sweater? It is kind of like that. Each nerve that needs to be checked out, has to be tested with a small 'shock,' but it is never enough electricty to harm you. It's not fun, but the whole thing doesn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes, tops, and then it's all over with.

Hope that info helps.

Carole made a good point, though. If you need an NCV test to check out that 'pinched nerve' problem your pod was talking about, or to check for TTS, it might be better to go to a different neurologist than your mom. I mean, it could be an emotionally difficult situation for either one (or both) of you, when the doctor is your mom and the procedure is a bit painful...

-- Sharon

Carmen on 4/26/02 at 08:57 (081175)

You know I was thinking of the EMG!!!!! The NCV? IS NOTHING! Doesn't hurt at all! Seriously....it is nothing.
Have you had Ionto done on your feet in PT?
that's what it feels like only alot more intense...it doesn't hurt.

Yes it's normal for that reaction in PT...
Do you keep a journal?

Re: What is lonto & journaling?

Mahatmelissama on 4/26/02 at 22:20 (081260)

I don't know what lonto is. I do keep a diary...is that what you mean?

Carmen on 4/27/02 at 20:57 (081389)

Iontophoresis and a PAIN diary...correct! :-)
Ointo is a treatment you can get in PT. Ask about it.

Re: mahatmelissa is a scardy cat followup my experience

lisa k on 4/30/02 at 13:02 (081786)

i had that testing done and i found it just mildly annoying ........compared to the pain i have standing or trying to walk it was very minor , just was very glad i got someone to do it ,so i could know if nerve damage existed,....... it was relief to find out still within normal range ,take car lisa

Re: Lisa I think pain is a relative thing

Sharon W on 4/30/02 at 19:12 (081858)

Lisa,

Your comments fit very well with my own experience getting the NCV done. I certainly didn't ENJOY it, but compared with the pain we deal with on a regular basis it's really no big deal!

-- Sharon

Mahatmelissama on 5/01/02 at 22:12 (082080)

Hmmm....I will think about this...I probably would cry like always...I am such a big baby when it comes to tests.

Re: Crying

Sharon W on 5/02/02 at 11:24 (082129)

There is nothing wrong with crying. It is NEVER crying that is abnormal!

-- Sharon

Mahatmelissama on 4/25/02 at 10:23 (081079)

Carmen, you are so sweet to think of me!

I am tired of pain...my mom told me it is unplesant and painful. I might have it done but not till next month...
I am trying to get up the courage. My mom would have to just go through with the test and ignore painful protests.

I don't know if I have this...I have most of my pain in my arches, not my ankles or sides of ankles...

How do you bear this test?

I have had a doctor who basically almost kicked me out of her door for yelling before...my mom wouldn't and there would
be no one there...but I still have fear.

Did you yell during your test?

Carmen on 4/25/02 at 10:58 (081084)

Nooo...I got educated about it and just took deep relaxing breaths. It's not THAT bad...really. I am a big wimp who hates getting a shot and I went through it fine.
If you don't have the pain in the sides of your ankles i wouldn't worry too much about TTS...but who told you you had this??
But if you do have a chance of having TTS....get the test done now. the longer you wait..the worse you'll make it seem. When you are stressed and tense...everything is worse.
Courage is something we can all use more of....I believe it comes from facing the things that scare us the most...it won't go away until you dea lwith it head on.
keep us posted!

Re: Mahatmelissa is NOT a scardy cat

Carole C in NOLA on 4/25/02 at 12:36 (081098)

Mahatmelissama, you are NOT a scaredy cat. At least, I don't think you are.

Sometimes the fact that the doctor's your parent can either make it less scary, or it can be worse. A person usually associated their mother with nurturing, caring, and comfort, not with pain. The pain could seem worse because you just aren't psychologically expecting it, or it could be easier because she's your Mom and you know she won't hurt you. The whole dynamic is so complex and the psychology of it goes back to your childhood. So the decision to have your mother do the test is more complicated than the decision to have another doctor do it.

Just some thoughts on that topic. I, for one, don't think you are a scaredy cat. If it seems like a good thing to do, then go for it! But if you have reservations, I don't think you should.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 4/26/02 at 00:04 (081158)

I might have it done...but not for another month or more. Can you tell me more what it feels like?

Is is also normal to feel great after PT (ultrasound and massage) and then
feel lousy later? (soreness)

Re: by the way, I change subject all the time...abstractly eom. ;)

Mahatmelissama on 4/26/02 at 00:05 (081159)

Sharon W on 4/26/02 at 08:38 (081173)

Have you ever gotten a 'shock' from touching something metal after moving around a lot in a really fluffy synthetic sweater? It is kind of like that. Each nerve that needs to be checked out, has to be tested with a small 'shock,' but it is never enough electricty to harm you. It's not fun, but the whole thing doesn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes, tops, and then it's all over with.

Hope that info helps.

Carole made a good point, though. If you need an NCV test to check out that 'pinched nerve' problem your pod was talking about, or to check for TTS, it might be better to go to a different neurologist than your mom. I mean, it could be an emotionally difficult situation for either one (or both) of you, when the doctor is your mom and the procedure is a bit painful...

-- Sharon

Carmen on 4/26/02 at 08:57 (081175)

You know I was thinking of the EMG!!!!! The NCV? IS NOTHING! Doesn't hurt at all! Seriously....it is nothing.
Have you had Ionto done on your feet in PT?
that's what it feels like only alot more intense...it doesn't hurt.

Yes it's normal for that reaction in PT...
Do you keep a journal?

Mahatmelissama on 4/26/02 at 22:20 (081260)

I don't know what lonto is. I do keep a diary...is that what you mean?

Carmen on 4/27/02 at 20:57 (081389)

Iontophoresis and a PAIN diary...correct! :-)
Ointo is a treatment you can get in PT. Ask about it.

Re: mahatmelissa is a scardy cat followup my experience

lisa k on 4/30/02 at 13:02 (081786)

i had that testing done and i found it just mildly annoying ........compared to the pain i have standing or trying to walk it was very minor , just was very glad i got someone to do it ,so i could know if nerve damage existed,....... it was relief to find out still within normal range ,take car lisa

Sharon W on 4/30/02 at 19:12 (081858)

Lisa,

Your comments fit very well with my own experience getting the NCV done. I certainly didn't ENJOY it, but compared with the pain we deal with on a regular basis it's really no big deal!

-- Sharon

Mahatmelissama on 5/01/02 at 22:12 (082080)

Hmmm....I will think about this...I probably would cry like always...I am such a big baby when it comes to tests.

Re: Crying

Sharon W on 5/02/02 at 11:24 (082129)

There is nothing wrong with crying. It is NEVER crying that is abnormal!

-- Sharon