Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthopedic applications of ESW

Posted by Rebecca Fisher on 4/25/02 at 11:00 (081085)

Hello! I am a physical therapist and am looking into orthopedic applications of ESW. I am wondering how ESW differs from therapeutic ultrasound? What settings are used? (i.e., frequency/duration). Thank you.

Re: Orthopedic applications of ESW

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/25/02 at 20:19 (081136)

Hi Rebeca:

Therapeutic ultrasound has minimal penetration. Shock wave has a much deeper penetration. We start a a low setting on the Donier Epos Ultra and then gradually increase our power. The lower settings create an analgesic effect. If a repeat treatment is to be performed it is at twelve weeks. We deliver 3800 shocks in about 15 - 20 minutes.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Rebecca F. on 4/29/02 at 07:55 (081565)

Thank you, Dr. Corzarelli, for responding to my question about orthopedic applications of ESW in the treatment of foot patients. Are the shock waves used in ESW sound waves? Thank you again!

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/25/02 at 20:19 (081136)

Hi Rebeca:

Therapeutic ultrasound has minimal penetration. Shock wave has a much deeper penetration. We start a a low setting on the Donier Epos Ultra and then gradually increase our power. The lower settings create an analgesic effect. If a repeat treatment is to be performed it is at twelve weeks. We deliver 3800 shocks in about 15 - 20 minutes.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Rebecca F. on 4/29/02 at 07:55 (081565)

Thank you, Dr. Corzarelli, for responding to my question about orthopedic applications of ESW in the treatment of foot patients. Are the shock waves used in ESW sound waves? Thank you again!