Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

had nerve block wed.

Posted by susie c on 4/25/02 at 11:29 (081090)

I went for a sympathic nerve block in the lower lumbar yesterday for DX of rsd . My feeling on the whole experience was
that I did in fact get some relief. The limb felt warm with no stiffness and no tingle sensations for a few hours. Then the temp began to change back to cool and stiffness returned with some pin and needle but not as bad as before. Now today it is the same stage and I guess we will see what the day brings. The steriod part of the injection does kick in until 48 hours after the injection. I will keep you posted. My back hurt like h---! gotta ice it now. Susie

Re: had nerve block wed.

Laurie R on 4/26/02 at 10:55 (081184)

HI Susie , I am glad your first injection is over. I was so glad when my first one was done. I hope they gave you the 'Good' drugs so you did not feel them giving you the injections.. I know how your back is feeling , it feels like someone or something kicked you hard in it. That will go away in a few days. Take it easy . I would use the heating pad right away . They told me to wait till after two days to use heat, but I found it really helped with the back soreness ....

Also I wanted to let you know that I have had 7 injections so far... The first two or three only lasted for about a day or two .... But when I would wake from the injections my RSD pain would be gone.. So hang in there and remember that it can take about three beofore they last longer..

When are you to go for your next ? And did they diagnose you with RSD ??

My best to you always , and please let me know if I can help you in anyway ... I am here...

Laurie R

susie c on 4/26/02 at 12:21 (081193)

Laurie, My next visit is wed so for now I am writing a log every 6 hours of how I feel and then I give it to the Dr on Wed. I had 3 injections through the same hole in my back. 1 was sympathic block (numbing agent) 2 was a steroid (time released)
and 3 they said was a combo but I'm not sure what was in it. Iwill find out on Wed. Today I feel good I have better range of motion than I have had in a very very long time and the throbbing and pins and needles are slight!. I hope it last..
As far as the rsd when the nurse called yesterday she said it seems to be rsd or something very similar since the injections did infact change the temp,color and over all condition of the limb. I did not feel a thing when Dr did the injections I was asleep very deeply. Oh ya my back feels like someone did a karate kick and landed a good one!! Did you have any side effects? Today my stomach seems upset and a bad taste.Weard...Keep in touch thanks for the support. Susie

Re: I am interested

Tammie on 4/26/02 at 14:30 (081203)

Hi I just want to add, that I have eagerly reading your posts Susie ! I am taking in all the information that you have been sharing! I to am going to see a Pain management, to see how and what they can do to help me and the pain. Possible dx is RSD I have been told by a few Dr.s now that they believe that is what i have and have referred me there! Trouble I have been finding it takes forever to get in for your first appt. I can hardly believe it as I checked other places and it seems to be the norm.

I am kinda nervous waiting but anxious to get started as I am tired of waiting for this or that. LOL this is the real part of me coming thru!I was happy to hear that they put you to a snooze while they do the blocks. I have been awfully scared of them as I have read alot and have heard plenty, so it is good to hear about it first hand! Laurie has been a dear as well as Janet in educating me and providing me with sites to read about this RSD! Along with support in learning about this and how and what to expect. I am forever grateful for as I seem to be in the sponge mode lol I want to sip up all the knowledge I can and slowly wring it out as I let it sink in Hahahah what a comparrison huh? Well thanks again and I really enjoy reading your posts! Did you ahve a long wait for your appt?Take care and keep the sun shining in your heart.

susie c on 4/26/02 at 18:40 (081239)

Tammie, I have been going to pain management for about 6 months so no I didnt wait for the app't. My pain managment Dr was'nt completly convinced that I had rsd all along,he felt that it was servere nerve damage and complications from the TTS surgery. I am a WC case and they sent me to get a independent evaluation to 2 different Dr and 1 said possible rsd the other complications from tts. The original Dr that did the surgery said rsd from the begining and WC pulled me from his care and sent me to a Pod that believed nerve block were the last resort and sent me to pool therapy for 5 months. Then I was sent for the eval's and the rsd thing came up again so WC wanted the blocks done this time to get a DX . WC wants to send me on my way and settle the case. I do have to say I don't have all the symtoms of rsd but do have some like ex( tingling, burning when i have been on my feet for awhile, color changes,temp difference, and most of all very little range of motion). My pain is tolerable one day sometimes a few days and then I have a bad day. It depends on my activity. After a year of this bull s--- I know my limits. Any I am angry about it... I could go on and on as I have been through the medical tredmill. and tried alot of different things. Thanks for the support and yes the sun does shine!! Susie

Sharon W on 4/26/02 at 19:24 (081244)

Susie,

That's one of the worst stories about doctors and insurance playing ping pong with a patient I've ever heard! NO DOUBT you are angry about it...

I sure hope the nerve block works well for you and your doctors finally begin to make their decisions with YOUR WELL-BEING as top priority rather than just trying to keep your WC provider happy!

Do YOU think that you have RSD?

-- Sharon

Cheri A on 4/28/02 at 13:14 (081467)

I was a WC case also, and you got so much more care than I did! I settled with the insurance co. just so I could go out and try pt, and other treatments. I had very poor care after the surgery. I know better than to start going into details, because I get mad all over again!!!!

Re: I am interested cheri

susie c on 4/28/02 at 22:28 (081538)

Cheri, Oh I know what you mean very well. I have not settled yet. When you settled did you get continued medical coverage?
How did that part work out for you? That is one of the upcoming chapters (the settlement) !! I live in NJ so some laws may be alittle different. Any advise? Susie

Cheri A on 4/30/02 at 13:03 (081787)

I did not get continued medical coverage. I think now that it was a mistake, but I felt that the WC insurance company wasn't hearing me, and I felt like the Drs weren't trying hard enough. I struck out on my own so I could try other treatments. My regular insurance wouldn't pay if it was still under WC.
While it may be very difficult to hang in there, I would fight to keep the medical coverage. If I had it to do over again, that is what I would do. Plus, I would push them to try every kind of treatment available.

Laurie R on 4/26/02 at 10:55 (081184)

HI Susie , I am glad your first injection is over. I was so glad when my first one was done. I hope they gave you the 'Good' drugs so you did not feel them giving you the injections.. I know how your back is feeling , it feels like someone or something kicked you hard in it. That will go away in a few days. Take it easy . I would use the heating pad right away . They told me to wait till after two days to use heat, but I found it really helped with the back soreness ....

Also I wanted to let you know that I have had 7 injections so far... The first two or three only lasted for about a day or two .... But when I would wake from the injections my RSD pain would be gone.. So hang in there and remember that it can take about three beofore they last longer..

When are you to go for your next ? And did they diagnose you with RSD ??

My best to you always , and please let me know if I can help you in anyway ... I am here...

Laurie R

susie c on 4/26/02 at 12:21 (081193)

Laurie, My next visit is wed so for now I am writing a log every 6 hours of how I feel and then I give it to the Dr on Wed. I had 3 injections through the same hole in my back. 1 was sympathic block (numbing agent) 2 was a steroid (time released)
and 3 they said was a combo but I'm not sure what was in it. Iwill find out on Wed. Today I feel good I have better range of motion than I have had in a very very long time and the throbbing and pins and needles are slight!. I hope it last..
As far as the rsd when the nurse called yesterday she said it seems to be rsd or something very similar since the injections did infact change the temp,color and over all condition of the limb. I did not feel a thing when Dr did the injections I was asleep very deeply. Oh ya my back feels like someone did a karate kick and landed a good one!! Did you have any side effects? Today my stomach seems upset and a bad taste.Weard...Keep in touch thanks for the support. Susie

Tammie on 4/26/02 at 14:30 (081203)

Hi I just want to add, that I have eagerly reading your posts Susie ! I am taking in all the information that you have been sharing! I to am going to see a Pain management, to see how and what they can do to help me and the pain. Possible dx is RSD I have been told by a few Dr.s now that they believe that is what i have and have referred me there! Trouble I have been finding it takes forever to get in for your first appt. I can hardly believe it as I checked other places and it seems to be the norm.

I am kinda nervous waiting but anxious to get started as I am tired of waiting for this or that. LOL this is the real part of me coming thru!I was happy to hear that they put you to a snooze while they do the blocks. I have been awfully scared of them as I have read alot and have heard plenty, so it is good to hear about it first hand! Laurie has been a dear as well as Janet in educating me and providing me with sites to read about this RSD! Along with support in learning about this and how and what to expect. I am forever grateful for as I seem to be in the sponge mode lol I want to sip up all the knowledge I can and slowly wring it out as I let it sink in Hahahah what a comparrison huh? Well thanks again and I really enjoy reading your posts! Did you ahve a long wait for your appt?Take care and keep the sun shining in your heart.

susie c on 4/26/02 at 18:40 (081239)

Tammie, I have been going to pain management for about 6 months so no I didnt wait for the app't. My pain managment Dr was'nt completly convinced that I had rsd all along,he felt that it was servere nerve damage and complications from the TTS surgery. I am a WC case and they sent me to get a independent evaluation to 2 different Dr and 1 said possible rsd the other complications from tts. The original Dr that did the surgery said rsd from the begining and WC pulled me from his care and sent me to a Pod that believed nerve block were the last resort and sent me to pool therapy for 5 months. Then I was sent for the eval's and the rsd thing came up again so WC wanted the blocks done this time to get a DX . WC wants to send me on my way and settle the case. I do have to say I don't have all the symtoms of rsd but do have some like ex( tingling, burning when i have been on my feet for awhile, color changes,temp difference, and most of all very little range of motion). My pain is tolerable one day sometimes a few days and then I have a bad day. It depends on my activity. After a year of this bull s--- I know my limits. Any I am angry about it... I could go on and on as I have been through the medical tredmill. and tried alot of different things. Thanks for the support and yes the sun does shine!! Susie

Sharon W on 4/26/02 at 19:24 (081244)

Susie,

That's one of the worst stories about doctors and insurance playing ping pong with a patient I've ever heard! NO DOUBT you are angry about it...

I sure hope the nerve block works well for you and your doctors finally begin to make their decisions with YOUR WELL-BEING as top priority rather than just trying to keep your WC provider happy!

Do YOU think that you have RSD?

-- Sharon

Cheri A on 4/28/02 at 13:14 (081467)

I was a WC case also, and you got so much more care than I did! I settled with the insurance co. just so I could go out and try pt, and other treatments. I had very poor care after the surgery. I know better than to start going into details, because I get mad all over again!!!!

susie c on 4/28/02 at 22:28 (081538)

Cheri, Oh I know what you mean very well. I have not settled yet. When you settled did you get continued medical coverage?
How did that part work out for you? That is one of the upcoming chapters (the settlement) !! I live in NJ so some laws may be alittle different. Any advise? Susie

Cheri A on 4/30/02 at 13:03 (081787)

I did not get continued medical coverage. I think now that it was a mistake, but I felt that the WC insurance company wasn't hearing me, and I felt like the Drs weren't trying hard enough. I struck out on my own so I could try other treatments. My regular insurance wouldn't pay if it was still under WC.
While it may be very difficult to hang in there, I would fight to keep the medical coverage. If I had it to do over again, that is what I would do. Plus, I would push them to try every kind of treatment available.