Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Going To Make A Bold Observation Concerning Podiatrists & Neurologists!

Posted by Mike S. on 4/25/02 at 22:26 (081147)

I've seen several of each. The podiatrists think I should try a TT release & the neurologists think it would be a mistake and even make things worse. It's almost predictable!!!! I do have PN and TTS.

Re: Going To Make A Bold Observation Concerning Podiatrists & Neurologists!

Sharon W on 4/25/02 at 22:38 (081149)

Mike,

I am obviously not an expert on PN but I thought it made surgery more dangerous... that (probably among other things) it could increase the risk for RSD. Did the neurologists you saw say WHY they thought surgery would 'make things worse'? (Just curious.)

I'm really sorry you are dealing with this 'double-whammy' of foot problems.

-- Sharon

BrianG on 4/26/02 at 15:22 (081211)

Hi Mike,

Just wondering what the Neurologists suggested for treatment? Oh wait a minute, I bet it was Neurontin, or Dilantin??? Either may work, it's worth a try as they are non-invasive.

BrianG

Re: Getting On The O R Table May 3rd; Just Hoping It Doesn't Make It Worse!

Mike S. on 4/27/02 at 14:15 (081346)

YEP! That's what they say. And to contrast that, podiatrists say the longer you leave it entraped, the less chance of a successful recovery.

Cheri A on 4/27/02 at 15:27 (081358)

I believe that if I had recognized my foot pain for what it was (TTS), I would not have waited until I could barely take a step to start finding our why they hurt, and so, the surgery would have helped more than it did. Yes, it did help, but did not cure. I don't regret it, and I pray that you will not regret yours, and that it will cure you.

Mike S. on 4/27/02 at 15:55 (081363)

How long did you wait? I have about 3 years of it + I Hane peripheral neuropathy.

Cheri A on 4/27/02 at 18:24 (081373)

It was about a year before I found out what the pain was, then it was a few months before the surgery. I literally almost couldn't use mt right foot by the time I had the surgery. I also had some loss of flexibility, so it was pretty bad.

Re: HOW LONG IS TOO LONG??

Sharon W on 4/28/02 at 00:54 (081426)

Mike,

You just put your finger on what has ME confused. A lot of people are saying, don't rush into surgery, and after reading many posts on these message boards I can certainly see WHY! Yet, one also sees the warning that the longer a problem like TTS persists, the less chance you have that surgery will be successful, and that argument seems equally valid to me. So, HOW LONG IS TOO LONG TO WAIT? That's the million-dollar question!

Anyway, it sounds like you've made your decision and I hope and pray your surgery will be a success. Please let us all know how it goes...

-- Sharon

Dennis B. on 4/28/02 at 15:39 (081480)

Good Luck from a fellow TTS and PN sufferer. Nothing ventured, nothing gained is the point that we all get to sooner or later, I guess. Frankly, the TTS release did not help me but by the same token all folks are different as to the results. Just over a year to the day after my TTS release, I was diagnosed with the Vasculitic Neuropathy, that is Peripheral Neuropathy caused by Vasculitis.

Sharon W on 4/25/02 at 22:38 (081149)

Mike,

I am obviously not an expert on PN but I thought it made surgery more dangerous... that (probably among other things) it could increase the risk for RSD. Did the neurologists you saw say WHY they thought surgery would 'make things worse'? (Just curious.)

I'm really sorry you are dealing with this 'double-whammy' of foot problems.

-- Sharon

BrianG on 4/26/02 at 15:22 (081211)

Hi Mike,

Just wondering what the Neurologists suggested for treatment? Oh wait a minute, I bet it was Neurontin, or Dilantin??? Either may work, it's worth a try as they are non-invasive.

BrianG

Mike S. on 4/27/02 at 14:15 (081346)

YEP! That's what they say. And to contrast that, podiatrists say the longer you leave it entraped, the less chance of a successful recovery.

Cheri A on 4/27/02 at 15:27 (081358)

I believe that if I had recognized my foot pain for what it was (TTS), I would not have waited until I could barely take a step to start finding our why they hurt, and so, the surgery would have helped more than it did. Yes, it did help, but did not cure. I don't regret it, and I pray that you will not regret yours, and that it will cure you.

Mike S. on 4/27/02 at 15:55 (081363)

How long did you wait? I have about 3 years of it + I Hane peripheral neuropathy.

Cheri A on 4/27/02 at 18:24 (081373)

It was about a year before I found out what the pain was, then it was a few months before the surgery. I literally almost couldn't use mt right foot by the time I had the surgery. I also had some loss of flexibility, so it was pretty bad.

Re: HOW LONG IS TOO LONG??

Sharon W on 4/28/02 at 00:54 (081426)

Mike,

You just put your finger on what has ME confused. A lot of people are saying, don't rush into surgery, and after reading many posts on these message boards I can certainly see WHY! Yet, one also sees the warning that the longer a problem like TTS persists, the less chance you have that surgery will be successful, and that argument seems equally valid to me. So, HOW LONG IS TOO LONG TO WAIT? That's the million-dollar question!

Anyway, it sounds like you've made your decision and I hope and pray your surgery will be a success. Please let us all know how it goes...

-- Sharon

Dennis B. on 4/28/02 at 15:39 (081480)

Good Luck from a fellow TTS and PN sufferer. Nothing ventured, nothing gained is the point that we all get to sooner or later, I guess. Frankly, the TTS release did not help me but by the same token all folks are different as to the results. Just over a year to the day after my TTS release, I was diagnosed with the Vasculitic Neuropathy, that is Peripheral Neuropathy caused by Vasculitis.