Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching...Advise from the doctors and / or Julie or anyone !

Posted by Pete R on 4/26/02 at 04:56 (081165)

I've got pf. I'm keen to know what you feel is the best way to stretch the calf's / achilles tendon. I've recently purchased the Foot Trainer and wonder whether this is sufficient in itself to stretch the calf's and achilles. I have also taken Scott's advise re; standing on a board at a 30 degreee angle and whilst I have no problem in doing this it does irritate the achilles a little, which make me think I may create another problem.

The calf stretch where you put your toes up a wall can irritate the fascia so I've stopped doing this.

Julie - As a person cured of pf what do you advise.....I've also ben doing the yoga based exercises you explained to Rudy last summer.

All advise gratefully received.

Re: Stretching...Advise from the doctors and / or Julie or anyone !

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/26/02 at 05:08 (081167)

Hi Pete:

there is a fine line with stretching. Why don't you tone it done a little. My favortie exercise is passive using a night splint. Just put it on and you will have done 8 hours of passive exercise while you sleep. I think this is very effective.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Mike W on 4/26/02 at 11:07 (081186)

Hello Pete,

The goal of Foot Trainer exercises is to RELAX typically tight flexor muscles by strengthening typically weak opposing extensor muscles.

This is known a reciporcal muscle innervation.

Foot Trainer exercises #8 and #9 are very effective at relaxing tight calf muscles and strengthening your anterior calf muscles.

Please go to my website (foottrainer.com) and click incorrect PF exercises.

I developed my exercise protocol from listening to feedback from my customers. It has been my experience that those who peformed incorrect exercises have not healed as fast or as often as those who only did the Foot Trainer exercises.

I believe pain is a message that your body uses to warn you of a problem.
Exercises should never be performed if pain is felt.

Any standing calf stretch is poor because your short tight calf muscles are automatically contracted prior to the stretch which causes excessive traction on the related tendons at the point of attachment to a bone. Muscles should always be relaxed prior to performing a stretch, epecially if they are short/tight.

Please perform only Foot Trainer exercises for a month and see how you progress.

I would be happy to send you some additional Foot Trainer Achilles Exercises if you like.

Regards,

Mike Wilmot
President, foottrainer.com

Julie on 4/26/02 at 13:57 (081201)

Pete, Mike and Dr Cozzarelli have said it all. I'd lay off all weight-bearing stretching if I were you, including the slant board one if it irritates your achilles. The Foot Trainer is excellent, and the night splint effective, as are the yoga foot exercises.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/26/02 at 05:08 (081167)

Hi Pete:

there is a fine line with stretching. Why don't you tone it done a little. My favortie exercise is passive using a night splint. Just put it on and you will have done 8 hours of passive exercise while you sleep. I think this is very effective.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Mike W on 4/26/02 at 11:07 (081186)

Hello Pete,

The goal of Foot Trainer exercises is to RELAX typically tight flexor muscles by strengthening typically weak opposing extensor muscles.

This is known a reciporcal muscle innervation.

Foot Trainer exercises #8 and #9 are very effective at relaxing tight calf muscles and strengthening your anterior calf muscles.

Please go to my website (foottrainer.com) and click incorrect PF exercises.

I developed my exercise protocol from listening to feedback from my customers. It has been my experience that those who peformed incorrect exercises have not healed as fast or as often as those who only did the Foot Trainer exercises.

I believe pain is a message that your body uses to warn you of a problem.
Exercises should never be performed if pain is felt.

Any standing calf stretch is poor because your short tight calf muscles are automatically contracted prior to the stretch which causes excessive traction on the related tendons at the point of attachment to a bone. Muscles should always be relaxed prior to performing a stretch, epecially if they are short/tight.

Please perform only Foot Trainer exercises for a month and see how you progress.

I would be happy to send you some additional Foot Trainer Achilles Exercises if you like.

Regards,

Mike Wilmot
President, foottrainer.com

Julie on 4/26/02 at 13:57 (081201)

Pete, Mike and Dr Cozzarelli have said it all. I'd lay off all weight-bearing stretching if I were you, including the slant board one if it irritates your achilles. The Foot Trainer is excellent, and the night splint effective, as are the yoga foot exercises.