Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsel Tunnel Surgery April 22

Posted by Barbara S on 4/26/02 at 07:02 (081170)

Hi Well surgery is over with. Crawled my way to the PC to give a quick post. My husband and sister said the Doc. told them my tarsel tunnel area was pretty scarred up, he couldn't even get his little finger in the tunnel. Now I was very surprised by this as my Pod order MRI in Jan and he said it showed no scar tissue build up.
When I woke up I saw this contraption on my foot hanging from my boot. I was told this was a pain pump. It pumps pain med. right into the surgical area and keeps it numb for a couple of days. I really felt no pain. I was a little worried what was going to happen when this pump was done. We got home MON. around 430pm went straight to my recliner. I woke up around midnight to get ice pack and notice the was some bleeding. In the my husband was at a dentist appt.,so I called my friend who is a nurse and asked if she could come look and see if I should call the Doc. She said it didn't look to bad but marked the area so I could tell if it would get worse. Well by noon I noticed it had soaked through the lining of my boot. Called the DOc. had to get right over to his office,30min drive. They took me right in. NOthing serious,but the dressing was soaked in blood. Doc said the pain pump sometimes can cause this. Changed my dressing gave to a new boot and said come back if happens again.
I am so afraid of loosing my balance on those crutches, that I had my husband stop and get me some knee pads like you use for gardening. So I crawl to the bathroom. This is usually the only time I get out of my recliner right now. I really don't know if anything worked, my foot is still swollen and numb Take my pain meds every 4 hrs and icing every two hrs. and it all seems to be keeping pain under control.
I see the Doc on Tue morning will post again after that. Thanks for all of the support and God Bless us ALL. Barbara S.

Re: Tarsel Tunnel Surgery April 22

Sharon W on 4/26/02 at 10:35 (081183)

Barbara,

You were lucky they used a pain pump for you; that's a VERY good way to control pain after surgery!

I wonder why the MRI didn't show the scar tissue in your tarsal tunnel? That's scary because mine didn't either and I thought that meant I didn't HAVE any scar tissue there.

Sorry you had a problem with bleeding, but it sounds like there was no real harm done, just kind of stressful for you!

Anyway keep off your feet and follow your doctor's orders (as you apparently already are) and HANG IN THERE, someday it will all be over with and then hopefully you will be posting here again about your FULL RECOVERY after surgery...

-- Sharon

Laurie R on 4/26/02 at 11:00 (081185)

Hi Barbara, I am glad your surgery is all over with and you are home recovering... Sorry you had a scare with the bleeding , you did the right thing by going back to your doctor and letting him take a look. YOu never know what it could of been .

I am glad you are not in a lot of pain . Take care and keep us posted on your recovery .

Much love , Laurie R

BrianG on 4/26/02 at 15:11 (081209)

Alright Barbara, sounds like you made it without any major compliations. The knee pads sound interesting, I never thought of that. Let us know how it goes. Your probably going to need those pain meds for a couple weeks, sounds like you already have your pain under control, good deal!

BrianG

Pam B on 4/26/02 at 21:28 (081251)

Hi Barb, I am so happy for you that this is behind you now....and I am even happier that they did all they could to control your pain......I know you are hurting but hopefully this is the beginning of a better life for you.....stay in your chair :) and off your feet.....I pray the bleeding is stopped by now and hope you will not have any more trouble with that.....please keep us posted on your recovery and if you need someone to vent to, we are only a keystroke away.....my prayers are with you for a painless future :)

michelec on 4/28/02 at 11:36 (081460)

Hi Barb,

I just want to wish you a full recovery. Glad to hear the bleeding wasn't serious. I bled a lot after my surgery too but it didn't soak through for me. My Doc said that happens with some folks. Guess we're just good bleeders!!! I understand what you mean about crutches. I've been on them for a little more than a week and I've gotten much better. But you do whatever you feel most comfortable with. No sense in taking any chances that you might injure yourself further.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Lisa G on 4/30/02 at 08:30 (081743)

barb...good luck with your recovery!

lisa

Sharon W on 4/26/02 at 10:35 (081183)

Barbara,

You were lucky they used a pain pump for you; that's a VERY good way to control pain after surgery!

I wonder why the MRI didn't show the scar tissue in your tarsal tunnel? That's scary because mine didn't either and I thought that meant I didn't HAVE any scar tissue there.

Sorry you had a problem with bleeding, but it sounds like there was no real harm done, just kind of stressful for you!

Anyway keep off your feet and follow your doctor's orders (as you apparently already are) and HANG IN THERE, someday it will all be over with and then hopefully you will be posting here again about your FULL RECOVERY after surgery...

-- Sharon

Laurie R on 4/26/02 at 11:00 (081185)

Hi Barbara, I am glad your surgery is all over with and you are home recovering... Sorry you had a scare with the bleeding , you did the right thing by going back to your doctor and letting him take a look. YOu never know what it could of been .

I am glad you are not in a lot of pain . Take care and keep us posted on your recovery .

Much love , Laurie R

BrianG on 4/26/02 at 15:11 (081209)

Alright Barbara, sounds like you made it without any major compliations. The knee pads sound interesting, I never thought of that. Let us know how it goes. Your probably going to need those pain meds for a couple weeks, sounds like you already have your pain under control, good deal!

BrianG

Pam B on 4/26/02 at 21:28 (081251)

Hi Barb, I am so happy for you that this is behind you now....and I am even happier that they did all they could to control your pain......I know you are hurting but hopefully this is the beginning of a better life for you.....stay in your chair :) and off your feet.....I pray the bleeding is stopped by now and hope you will not have any more trouble with that.....please keep us posted on your recovery and if you need someone to vent to, we are only a keystroke away.....my prayers are with you for a painless future :)

michelec on 4/28/02 at 11:36 (081460)

Hi Barb,

I just want to wish you a full recovery. Glad to hear the bleeding wasn't serious. I bled a lot after my surgery too but it didn't soak through for me. My Doc said that happens with some folks. Guess we're just good bleeders!!! I understand what you mean about crutches. I've been on them for a little more than a week and I've gotten much better. But you do whatever you feel most comfortable with. No sense in taking any chances that you might injure yourself further.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Lisa G on 4/30/02 at 08:30 (081743)

barb...good luck with your recovery!

lisa