Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Accessory navicular bone removal

Posted by Amy Y on 4/26/02 at 09:23 (081180)

Hi , I have been suffering with Post Tib Tendonitis for several months, I have tried all the conservative treatments and saw another Dr. for a second opinion, he took different Xrays and discovered a seemingly large, around the size of an boat shaped dime, I would have to say, accessory navicular bone. He suggessted the Kidner procedure. I recently went to a well known ortho who said he would just simply excise it. Can this be done without moving the tendon? He was also rather vague on my recovery , saying it would depend on what he saw when he went inside. Please level with me, what will be my recovery time? I am on my feet 9 to 10 hours a day at my job. This dr says I can wear a walking cast or removable boot and be back to work in around 2 weeks, does this sound possible? Please help I am nervous and wondering if I am making the right decision by getting this surgery. Thanks.

Re: Accessory navicular bone removal

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/26/02 at 16:56 (081229)

Hi Amy:
That sounds about right. I have on several occasions made a very small incision and with the aid of a Fluoroscan (During surgery - live X-RAY) find the bone with minimal dissection and excise it and really not disrupt the tendon. Sutures in that area of the foot can come out in about 14 days. Walking cast sounds fine. I hope this info helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Joe S on 4/27/02 at 23:42 (081419)

If a true Kidner procedure is done the posterior tibialis tendon has to be detached at least partially and then reattached using a tendon anchor. It takes tendon around 10-12 weeks to adhere to bone (tenodesis). A nonweightbearing below knee cast is then applied for at least 6-8 weeks followed by a partial weightbearing walking cast or the remaining time frame.

Laurie R on 4/28/02 at 00:14 (081423)

Hi Joe , I was just wondering , are you a doctor ?

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/28/02 at 20:34 (081524)

Amy:

Yes what Joe said is true but it really depends on what is being done. you could have modified Kidner procedure as I explained. Surgery is an art and prcoedures are modified all of the time.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

DR Zuckerman on 4/28/02 at 21:17 (081532)

I have also used a fluroscope and removed the bone without ever touching the pt tendon. I have rarely moved the pt tendon . I have repaired it

Amy Y on 4/29/02 at 11:46 (081587)

My doctor said the incision will be around 2 and a half inches long. Will he be able to see damage to the tendon when he goes in there and how will he repair it? Thanks

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/26/02 at 16:56 (081229)

Hi Amy:
That sounds about right. I have on several occasions made a very small incision and with the aid of a Fluoroscan (During surgery - live X-RAY) find the bone with minimal dissection and excise it and really not disrupt the tendon. Sutures in that area of the foot can come out in about 14 days. Walking cast sounds fine. I hope this info helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Joe S on 4/27/02 at 23:42 (081419)

If a true Kidner procedure is done the posterior tibialis tendon has to be detached at least partially and then reattached using a tendon anchor. It takes tendon around 10-12 weeks to adhere to bone (tenodesis). A nonweightbearing below knee cast is then applied for at least 6-8 weeks followed by a partial weightbearing walking cast or the remaining time frame.

Laurie R on 4/28/02 at 00:14 (081423)

Hi Joe , I was just wondering , are you a doctor ?

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/28/02 at 20:34 (081524)

Amy:

Yes what Joe said is true but it really depends on what is being done. you could have modified Kidner procedure as I explained. Surgery is an art and prcoedures are modified all of the time.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

DR Zuckerman on 4/28/02 at 21:17 (081532)

I have also used a fluroscope and removed the bone without ever touching the pt tendon. I have rarely moved the pt tendon . I have repaired it

Amy Y on 4/29/02 at 11:46 (081587)

My doctor said the incision will be around 2 and a half inches long. Will he be able to see damage to the tendon when he goes in there and how will he repair it? Thanks