Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A word on house work and PF

Posted by Carmen on 4/26/02 at 18:09 (081235)

Okay i confess. I am probably the most ridiculous person here about cleanliness. My husband jokes about how he feels like eating over the kitchen sink so he doesn't mess the counters and floors up.
When I first got PF I had the major burning....I mean BAD. Add to that burning pain in my back, glutes and hips. I was so concerned about keeping my house clean and not gaining weight I did double time on the floors. I clean the floors on my hands and knees (always have...mom taught me that a mop only PUSHES things into corners..she's right!) and got a great work out in my shoulders and back.....burned calories while I was at it and stayed off my feet.
How crazy is it to clean a floor that isn't really even dirty?

Re: A word on house work and PF

nancy s. on 4/26/02 at 18:15 (081237)

carmen, it's crazy, it's crazy! 100% crazy.
didn't your mom tell you that if you clean something it will just get dirty?
i've saved so much time in my life.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 4/26/02 at 18:15 (081238)

My 93 year old Mom used to clean floors with a scrub brush when she was younger. She says that is the 'scrubbing Dutch' in her (her mother was adopted but might be Dutch).

I don't seem to have that tendency. :) In fact, I intend to mop the kitchen floor tomorrow. Shouldn't be too bad since I did it recently.

Carole C

Pam B on 4/26/02 at 21:52 (081255)

Well girl, if it is dirt you need come see my kitchen floor.......:) it is white and it needs you :):):) my mom taught me to do the hands and knees thing, but it was one of those life lessons I ignored......I am a mop pusher even though I know it does not clean so good......man, you sound like my mom used to be god rest her soul......she was the type woman that if you were eating and you put your fork down an the plate was empty, well, it was goodbye plate, it went to the sink :)if you smoked a cigarette, the ashtray never had more than one butt in it :) I am the kinda clean that is healthy, but dirty enough to be happy......so if it is dirt your looking for.....I got some :):):):):)

Nancy N on 4/27/02 at 07:49 (081294)

Carmen--

Be careful doing anything that's on your knees--Dr. Z told me being on your knees is bad for the toes. There's a lot of stuff that I ignore in my house (I don't have anyone else to do it for me) because of the toes--granted, I have some small toe problems, but I think it's a good thing to keep in mind anyway.

For whatever it's worth....

Pam B on 4/27/02 at 08:41 (081298)

Not to mention, there really is no dirt worth getting on your hands and knees for anyway cause the dirt just comes right back :)

Re: Kneeling and PF

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 08:54 (081299)

That's very interesting, Nancy! I didn't know that. Now that you mention it, it makes sense. It would be the opposite of a night splint, having the foot plantarflexed rather than dorsiflexed. And, it would push the toes in that direction as well.

Also, although the following doesn't apply to a svelte and youthful person like Carmen who probably FLOATS up from being on her knees, I find that for someone of my, um, shall we say more Rubenesque and mature stature to stand up from a kneeling position or seated on the floor is not a good thing. In fact, there doesn't seem to be a way in which I can do this without straining my PF at least a little, or a lot, even if I hang on to something while standing. That's one reason why I decided to get shower shoes and a shower stool, rather than take baths.

I can kneel or sit on the floor once in a while now, because I'm almost recovered and my PF can take more strain. As far as PF strain goes it's about like walking barefoot for me which I can also do now, though I'm trying to resist overdoing barefoot walking.

A 'little victory' just in passing... I retired my shower stool about ten minutes ago! I am able to stand long enough in my shower shoes without pain that I do not need it any longer. It was getting in the way. I put it in my walk-in closet which I used as a dressing room before PF. I can use it to sit on while dressing. I continue to wear my shower shoes in the shower.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 08:57 (081300)

Pam, I like your train of thought! LOL

Seriously, dirt is like that. My apartment wouldn't be any cleaner now than it would be if I had cleaned it meticulously back when my PF hurt. The dirt would have just come right back.

Nobody visited me when my PF was really bad anyway, so other than the heelspurs.com bunch nobody but me knows about the pig-pen! (Shhhh! LOL)

Carole C

Re: Stop it!

wendyn on 4/27/02 at 09:20 (081304)

No more with the knees...you are setting yourselves up for all kinds of unintended humor.

But yes Carmen, do be careful doing anything on your knees. ;)

...laughing all the way to the coffee pot.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 09:28 (081307)

See? She's already giving generously of her secrets. Wendy, thanks so much. We'll be ever so careful. Guys, you didn't read this, ok?

Carole C

Re: No shower stool

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 09:41 (081312)

Carole,

Another mini-milestone! Your victories always seem to brighten up my morning. :)

-- Sharon

Kathy G on 4/27/02 at 10:13 (081314)

Oh my goodness, Carmen! I NEVER get down on my hands and knees to wash the floor. I wipe the corners and the overhangs under the counters with a sponge dampened with the cleaning solution but other than that, if the mop can't get it, it stays there! If anyone notices that the corners of my floors are dirty, they had no business looking there in the first place! And when I die, I don't think they'll mention in my obituary that I never thorughly cleaned the corners of my floors!

Seriously, years ago, I went to a renowned neurologist with a problem with my neck and, in passing, he told me that one of the stupidest things women did was to scrub their floors on their hands and knees. He said it was great for his business. I was only 24 at the time, but his message stuck with me. That's my excuse for using a mop and only when the floor looks dirty!

Kathy G on 4/27/02 at 10:15 (081315)

Yes, Carole, I was thinking that the guys who post to these boards are shaking their heads, saying 'They're really taking the time to post about floor washing???'

Pam B on 4/27/02 at 11:17 (081317)

humor is good, laughing is good for the soul :):):) and 'unintended humor' is the best laughs :) dont spill your coffee Wendy :):):):):)

Pam B on 4/27/02 at 11:20 (081318)

Did you notice none of the guys are getting into this post??????? :) I cant imagine why :)

Re: RIGHT ON CAROLE! WOO-HOO!

Mahatmelissama on 4/27/02 at 11:21 (081320)

you go girl! :)

Rich on 4/27/02 at 15:31 (081359)

Okay all....i just took a break from guess what? Been cleaning house all morning and i come here to read this? Give me a break...and i used a mop too!!!

Seriously....i use my rainbow first then mop so hopefully my corners are clean! And Carmen....if my hubby ever saw me on my knees...well!!!! LOL

Wendy, don't spill anything! I'm still a newly married bride of sixteen years!! LOL

My sister has been cleaning once a week and she was in a car accident on Thursday so.....my pig-pen was calling. Smelling nice and fresh and I didn't have to lug around my cast. Been wearing my NB's for a few days and though very sore, feeling like a new woman! Depression, you have NO hold over me!!!!

Having a good day...
Rich
<><

Suzanne D on 4/27/02 at 16:15 (081366)

Hello to all other house cleaners! :-) I guess I've really never 'liked' house cleaning; I've always just done it because it needed to be done. Whenever I've learned any timesaving tips, I've always tried to take advantage of them - such as using lemon oil for dusting as it doesn't look dusty again as soon and doesn't bother people with allergies like the products made for that purpose.

Floors are my worst job, and I guess I put them off until last! I couldn't get on my knees and get up very well, but I do know what you mean about those corners, Carmen!

Sometimes to motivate myself, I put on different placemats and table decorations, and then it makes me want to clean up! Also if I am by myself, I play some music I like, and that keeps me going! :-) I like decorating for the different holidays and seasons; I guess it comes from decorating my room at school which I enjoy.

When my feet hurt their worst, I just did the bare minimum in housework. I had my children at school help out there, and they enjoyed it. I would tell them, 'Now, if I could just get you all to come home with me...!' And of course they would all say they'd love to! It's been my experience that when a child is old enough to really help at housework, they become so busy with other things that they don't have much time to do so!

Well, I'd better get back to the kitchen!

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 17:22 (081369)

So glad to hear you are feeling like a new woman! You've sure been through the wringer during the past few weeks as far as your cast, foot pain, and all of it, so it's about time! :)

Carole C

Diane O. on 4/27/02 at 19:54 (081375)

Housecleaning is a drag...but I do it cause I cant stand lounging around in a mess. I am what some would call anal retentive--shh you didnt hear that. I had 2 cleaning ladies that would come in every second week but before they would get here I would race around the house cleaning up. My husband thought I was nuts. Needless to say, they FIRED me. LOL
Then I had my sister stay with us for about 9 months and she finally moved out before we becaome arch enemies. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my sister. She ended up losing her jog a couple of weeks after she moved out so I hired her to clean....Anything to prevent her from moving back in with us. Anyway Carmen, I have not cleaned floors on my hands and knees since I kept breaking my toenails on the groutlines on the ceramic tiles as I backed up. ..Ouch LOL What an excuse.
I should go...gotta entice my son into doing dishes in trade of using the car..LOL
Diane O

Re: ALL WOMEN

Carmen on 4/27/02 at 20:55 (081388)

Okay you guys...now I feel really crazy! No..really just kidding. BUT I will clean my floors on my hands and knees (and if it entices a visit from my husband every now and then perfect! ;-)) until I can't get down there anymore....I just can't stand to think of the dirt and grime getting shoved into the corners!!! I just can't bear it!
I don't care if anyone else sees the corners...I don't mind at all..it's the thought of it for me I can't stand. Germs...germs.....bugs.....dust...dog hair....black gook built into the corners...ugh.
eeekkk..But my grandma is 78 and she still scrubs on her hands and knees, climbs ladders to paint ceilings, does massage therapy for her OlD friends and runs a weight loss group for the seniors.
So scrub away I will! :-)
Your stories tickled my funny bone though ....and thanks for the compliment Carole...but 'float' I do not...not since PF. :-(
Maybe some day again.

Re: Keeping a straight face

wendyn on 4/27/02 at 23:46 (081420)

In ALL seriousness - I did a lot of things on my knees when my feet were bad. I probably use them a lot more than most people still (keeps me off my feet). Carmen - go ahead and scrub your floors on your knees - but consider buying a foam padding to kneel on - or some decent knee pads.

Gardening stores often sell just the thing.

Okay - that is the only serious conversation I can have on this topic. If you bring it up again - I will not be able to discuss this without the inappropriate comments.

Nancy N on 4/28/02 at 07:22 (081430)

Inappropriate comments are the spice of life, are they not?! ;)

Re: Shower Stool converted to dressing room bench...

Valerie S on 4/28/02 at 09:18 (081442)

Hi Carole,

I don't know if you sew, but I am about to embark on my seasonal spree of cutting up material and making clothes... This week, for my sister's unborn baby (gender unknown darnit) and for my 3 year old niece. I love digging through my material stash and making clothes for her... I just finished a pair of little stretchy pants made from pink paisley material. Not that has anything to do with the thread here, except to say that I'd much rather be making a mess and scattering little bits of material and thread all around than worrying about the dirt in the corners... sorry, Carmen.. you must think you're surrounded by a bunch of grubby pigs here... hee hee. I just mop and push the dirt into the corners, and if it does show, then just take a rag and wipe out the corners.

But about that shower stool... you could make a slip cover to go over it and transform it into either a simple or luxurious dressing room chair... It would be so easy, and you could even use some foam to make it padded and put some cording or decorative trim to make it downright glamorous! hee hee... just a thought.

Well, I will admit, all this talk about scrubbing corners and getting on my knees has inspired me... to MAKE A MESS!! hee hee... I'll clean tomorrow... maybe. hee hee... Lucky for me, I don't have kids, just a royal slob of a husband to clean up after. But of course, if I had kids, they'd be cleaning the house... ha ha ha... Take care and have fun!

Val.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/28/02 at 09:54 (081447)

Val, your idea for my dressing room chair sounds so pretty! If I do it, I'll use elastic or something so that I can remove the foam and the cover. I am not sure whether or not I'll do it, since my dressing room is just my walk-in closet and not something that anyone but me would ever see. But, if I ever had more company than chairs, I could bring it out to the living room. Not likely that would happen since I'm not much of a social butterfly, but it's still possible.

I had also considered using my shower stool as a step stool, for reaching things on higher shelves, and light bulbs etc. If I make the cover, I'd remove it for this use. Even at 5'9' I sometimes need a step stool and this would be light and easy to move around. My shower stool is adjustable so I could make it fairly low, and it is extremely sturdy.

However, this would be an alternate use for it. It's primary function will be as my dressing room stool. Before PF, I used to put on my underwear and jeans by leaning against the wall, and teetering around on one foot. Then I'd walk barefoot to the living room to put on my shoes and socks. The stool will remedy both of these PF stresses.

I also got a small white dresser yesterday at Super Wal-Mart, to put in my closet/changing room. I haven't had a dresser since my divorce so it's about time. I will assemble it this afternoon. It will be nice to be able to have everything there and dress all in one place; a small pleasure but something I wanted to arrange.

Carole C

Pam B on 4/28/02 at 10:51 (081454)

Amen Nancy.....Amen :)

Re: Valerie S aka "Martha" S

SuzanneK on 4/28/02 at 15:03 (081476)

Love the comments on transforming a shower stool. Wonder what we could do with wheelchairs, crutches, and useless orthotics? I know we've had the orthotics suggestions before . . .

John h on 4/28/02 at 19:36 (081510)

Nancy N the word 'inappropriate' is one of those words that has become widely used this past decade.

JudyS on 4/29/02 at 09:32 (081571)

Hands and knees, Carmen? To clean the floor? To clean anything? We really need to talk, girl! :)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/02 at 12:21 (081594)

Didn't they make a movie about that? Cinderella?

(grin)

I think that the Sorceror's Apprentice in Fantasia had the best method for cleaning the floors.

Carole C

Carmen on 4/29/02 at 16:12 (081606)

Yes ma'am...and you can feel confident when staying at my house that you will not be sleeping in dirty sheets, using a nasty bathroom and your towels will be clean and your dinner was made in a clean kitchen. :-)
I have had too many friends inthe past(and they are adults) that have nasty homes...I don't feel comfortable staying in them...I mean hair all over the place, soap scummy showers etc...ick.
In fact I used to clean house fortwo of them...and only THEN would I pet sit for them. :-)
Call me crazy but I am not comfy unless I am lounging in a clean home.

john h on 4/30/02 at 09:26 (081754)

All you girls complaining about cleaning the floors. In my home I do them and all ways have. I have not resorted to the on the hands and knees method except for very bad spots. I use Armstrong stripper and Armstrong no wax cleaner on tile floors in the kitchen,breakfast room, and laundry room. I must have started my married life in the wrong way because I have always done the floors and no I do not look sexually atractive when I do them as I am usuall saying #$%^&^^%$#! If i were to come home and find Mary doing the floors on her hands and knees I would go into immediate cardiac arrest.

Julie on 4/30/02 at 09:45 (081757)

Hi John

Another strong man who does the floors! My husband will be pleased to hear he has company.

Happy scrubbing and all the best

Julie

nancy s. on 4/26/02 at 18:15 (081237)

carmen, it's crazy, it's crazy! 100% crazy.
didn't your mom tell you that if you clean something it will just get dirty?
i've saved so much time in my life.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 4/26/02 at 18:15 (081238)

My 93 year old Mom used to clean floors with a scrub brush when she was younger. She says that is the 'scrubbing Dutch' in her (her mother was adopted but might be Dutch).

I don't seem to have that tendency. :) In fact, I intend to mop the kitchen floor tomorrow. Shouldn't be too bad since I did it recently.

Carole C

Pam B on 4/26/02 at 21:52 (081255)

Well girl, if it is dirt you need come see my kitchen floor.......:) it is white and it needs you :):):) my mom taught me to do the hands and knees thing, but it was one of those life lessons I ignored......I am a mop pusher even though I know it does not clean so good......man, you sound like my mom used to be god rest her soul......she was the type woman that if you were eating and you put your fork down an the plate was empty, well, it was goodbye plate, it went to the sink :)if you smoked a cigarette, the ashtray never had more than one butt in it :) I am the kinda clean that is healthy, but dirty enough to be happy......so if it is dirt your looking for.....I got some :):):):):)

Nancy N on 4/27/02 at 07:49 (081294)

Carmen--

Be careful doing anything that's on your knees--Dr. Z told me being on your knees is bad for the toes. There's a lot of stuff that I ignore in my house (I don't have anyone else to do it for me) because of the toes--granted, I have some small toe problems, but I think it's a good thing to keep in mind anyway.

For whatever it's worth....

Pam B on 4/27/02 at 08:41 (081298)

Not to mention, there really is no dirt worth getting on your hands and knees for anyway cause the dirt just comes right back :)

Re: Kneeling and PF

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 08:54 (081299)

That's very interesting, Nancy! I didn't know that. Now that you mention it, it makes sense. It would be the opposite of a night splint, having the foot plantarflexed rather than dorsiflexed. And, it would push the toes in that direction as well.

Also, although the following doesn't apply to a svelte and youthful person like Carmen who probably FLOATS up from being on her knees, I find that for someone of my, um, shall we say more Rubenesque and mature stature to stand up from a kneeling position or seated on the floor is not a good thing. In fact, there doesn't seem to be a way in which I can do this without straining my PF at least a little, or a lot, even if I hang on to something while standing. That's one reason why I decided to get shower shoes and a shower stool, rather than take baths.

I can kneel or sit on the floor once in a while now, because I'm almost recovered and my PF can take more strain. As far as PF strain goes it's about like walking barefoot for me which I can also do now, though I'm trying to resist overdoing barefoot walking.

A 'little victory' just in passing... I retired my shower stool about ten minutes ago! I am able to stand long enough in my shower shoes without pain that I do not need it any longer. It was getting in the way. I put it in my walk-in closet which I used as a dressing room before PF. I can use it to sit on while dressing. I continue to wear my shower shoes in the shower.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 08:57 (081300)

Pam, I like your train of thought! LOL

Seriously, dirt is like that. My apartment wouldn't be any cleaner now than it would be if I had cleaned it meticulously back when my PF hurt. The dirt would have just come right back.

Nobody visited me when my PF was really bad anyway, so other than the heelspurs.com bunch nobody but me knows about the pig-pen! (Shhhh! LOL)

Carole C

wendyn on 4/27/02 at 09:20 (081304)

No more with the knees...you are setting yourselves up for all kinds of unintended humor.

But yes Carmen, do be careful doing anything on your knees. ;)

...laughing all the way to the coffee pot.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 09:28 (081307)

See? She's already giving generously of her secrets. Wendy, thanks so much. We'll be ever so careful. Guys, you didn't read this, ok?

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/27/02 at 09:41 (081312)

Carole,

Another mini-milestone! Your victories always seem to brighten up my morning. :)

-- Sharon

Kathy G on 4/27/02 at 10:13 (081314)

Oh my goodness, Carmen! I NEVER get down on my hands and knees to wash the floor. I wipe the corners and the overhangs under the counters with a sponge dampened with the cleaning solution but other than that, if the mop can't get it, it stays there! If anyone notices that the corners of my floors are dirty, they had no business looking there in the first place! And when I die, I don't think they'll mention in my obituary that I never thorughly cleaned the corners of my floors!

Seriously, years ago, I went to a renowned neurologist with a problem with my neck and, in passing, he told me that one of the stupidest things women did was to scrub their floors on their hands and knees. He said it was great for his business. I was only 24 at the time, but his message stuck with me. That's my excuse for using a mop and only when the floor looks dirty!

Kathy G on 4/27/02 at 10:15 (081315)

Yes, Carole, I was thinking that the guys who post to these boards are shaking their heads, saying 'They're really taking the time to post about floor washing???'

Pam B on 4/27/02 at 11:17 (081317)

humor is good, laughing is good for the soul :):):) and 'unintended humor' is the best laughs :) dont spill your coffee Wendy :):):):):)

Pam B on 4/27/02 at 11:20 (081318)

Did you notice none of the guys are getting into this post??????? :) I cant imagine why :)

Re: RIGHT ON CAROLE! WOO-HOO!

Mahatmelissama on 4/27/02 at 11:21 (081320)

you go girl! :)

Rich on 4/27/02 at 15:31 (081359)

Okay all....i just took a break from guess what? Been cleaning house all morning and i come here to read this? Give me a break...and i used a mop too!!!

Seriously....i use my rainbow first then mop so hopefully my corners are clean! And Carmen....if my hubby ever saw me on my knees...well!!!! LOL

Wendy, don't spill anything! I'm still a newly married bride of sixteen years!! LOL

My sister has been cleaning once a week and she was in a car accident on Thursday so.....my pig-pen was calling. Smelling nice and fresh and I didn't have to lug around my cast. Been wearing my NB's for a few days and though very sore, feeling like a new woman! Depression, you have NO hold over me!!!!

Having a good day...
Rich
<><

Suzanne D on 4/27/02 at 16:15 (081366)

Hello to all other house cleaners! :-) I guess I've really never 'liked' house cleaning; I've always just done it because it needed to be done. Whenever I've learned any timesaving tips, I've always tried to take advantage of them - such as using lemon oil for dusting as it doesn't look dusty again as soon and doesn't bother people with allergies like the products made for that purpose.

Floors are my worst job, and I guess I put them off until last! I couldn't get on my knees and get up very well, but I do know what you mean about those corners, Carmen!

Sometimes to motivate myself, I put on different placemats and table decorations, and then it makes me want to clean up! Also if I am by myself, I play some music I like, and that keeps me going! :-) I like decorating for the different holidays and seasons; I guess it comes from decorating my room at school which I enjoy.

When my feet hurt their worst, I just did the bare minimum in housework. I had my children at school help out there, and they enjoyed it. I would tell them, 'Now, if I could just get you all to come home with me...!' And of course they would all say they'd love to! It's been my experience that when a child is old enough to really help at housework, they become so busy with other things that they don't have much time to do so!

Well, I'd better get back to the kitchen!

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 17:22 (081369)

So glad to hear you are feeling like a new woman! You've sure been through the wringer during the past few weeks as far as your cast, foot pain, and all of it, so it's about time! :)

Carole C

Diane O. on 4/27/02 at 19:54 (081375)

Housecleaning is a drag...but I do it cause I cant stand lounging around in a mess. I am what some would call anal retentive--shh you didnt hear that. I had 2 cleaning ladies that would come in every second week but before they would get here I would race around the house cleaning up. My husband thought I was nuts. Needless to say, they FIRED me. LOL
Then I had my sister stay with us for about 9 months and she finally moved out before we becaome arch enemies. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my sister. She ended up losing her jog a couple of weeks after she moved out so I hired her to clean....Anything to prevent her from moving back in with us. Anyway Carmen, I have not cleaned floors on my hands and knees since I kept breaking my toenails on the groutlines on the ceramic tiles as I backed up. ..Ouch LOL What an excuse.
I should go...gotta entice my son into doing dishes in trade of using the car..LOL
Diane O

Re: ALL WOMEN

Carmen on 4/27/02 at 20:55 (081388)

Okay you guys...now I feel really crazy! No..really just kidding. BUT I will clean my floors on my hands and knees (and if it entices a visit from my husband every now and then perfect! ;-)) until I can't get down there anymore....I just can't stand to think of the dirt and grime getting shoved into the corners!!! I just can't bear it!
I don't care if anyone else sees the corners...I don't mind at all..it's the thought of it for me I can't stand. Germs...germs.....bugs.....dust...dog hair....black gook built into the corners...ugh.
eeekkk..But my grandma is 78 and she still scrubs on her hands and knees, climbs ladders to paint ceilings, does massage therapy for her OlD friends and runs a weight loss group for the seniors.
So scrub away I will! :-)
Your stories tickled my funny bone though ....and thanks for the compliment Carole...but 'float' I do not...not since PF. :-(
Maybe some day again.

wendyn on 4/27/02 at 23:46 (081420)

In ALL seriousness - I did a lot of things on my knees when my feet were bad. I probably use them a lot more than most people still (keeps me off my feet). Carmen - go ahead and scrub your floors on your knees - but consider buying a foam padding to kneel on - or some decent knee pads.

Gardening stores often sell just the thing.

Okay - that is the only serious conversation I can have on this topic. If you bring it up again - I will not be able to discuss this without the inappropriate comments.

Nancy N on 4/28/02 at 07:22 (081430)

Inappropriate comments are the spice of life, are they not?! ;)

Valerie S on 4/28/02 at 09:18 (081442)

Hi Carole,

I don't know if you sew, but I am about to embark on my seasonal spree of cutting up material and making clothes... This week, for my sister's unborn baby (gender unknown darnit) and for my 3 year old niece. I love digging through my material stash and making clothes for her... I just finished a pair of little stretchy pants made from pink paisley material. Not that has anything to do with the thread here, except to say that I'd much rather be making a mess and scattering little bits of material and thread all around than worrying about the dirt in the corners... sorry, Carmen.. you must think you're surrounded by a bunch of grubby pigs here... hee hee. I just mop and push the dirt into the corners, and if it does show, then just take a rag and wipe out the corners.

But about that shower stool... you could make a slip cover to go over it and transform it into either a simple or luxurious dressing room chair... It would be so easy, and you could even use some foam to make it padded and put some cording or decorative trim to make it downright glamorous! hee hee... just a thought.

Well, I will admit, all this talk about scrubbing corners and getting on my knees has inspired me... to MAKE A MESS!! hee hee... I'll clean tomorrow... maybe. hee hee... Lucky for me, I don't have kids, just a royal slob of a husband to clean up after. But of course, if I had kids, they'd be cleaning the house... ha ha ha... Take care and have fun!

Val.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/28/02 at 09:54 (081447)

Val, your idea for my dressing room chair sounds so pretty! If I do it, I'll use elastic or something so that I can remove the foam and the cover. I am not sure whether or not I'll do it, since my dressing room is just my walk-in closet and not something that anyone but me would ever see. But, if I ever had more company than chairs, I could bring it out to the living room. Not likely that would happen since I'm not much of a social butterfly, but it's still possible.

I had also considered using my shower stool as a step stool, for reaching things on higher shelves, and light bulbs etc. If I make the cover, I'd remove it for this use. Even at 5'9' I sometimes need a step stool and this would be light and easy to move around. My shower stool is adjustable so I could make it fairly low, and it is extremely sturdy.

However, this would be an alternate use for it. It's primary function will be as my dressing room stool. Before PF, I used to put on my underwear and jeans by leaning against the wall, and teetering around on one foot. Then I'd walk barefoot to the living room to put on my shoes and socks. The stool will remedy both of these PF stresses.

I also got a small white dresser yesterday at Super Wal-Mart, to put in my closet/changing room. I haven't had a dresser since my divorce so it's about time. I will assemble it this afternoon. It will be nice to be able to have everything there and dress all in one place; a small pleasure but something I wanted to arrange.

Carole C

Pam B on 4/28/02 at 10:51 (081454)

Amen Nancy.....Amen :)

Re: Valerie S aka "Martha" S

SuzanneK on 4/28/02 at 15:03 (081476)

Love the comments on transforming a shower stool. Wonder what we could do with wheelchairs, crutches, and useless orthotics? I know we've had the orthotics suggestions before . . .

John h on 4/28/02 at 19:36 (081510)

Nancy N the word 'inappropriate' is one of those words that has become widely used this past decade.

JudyS on 4/29/02 at 09:32 (081571)

Hands and knees, Carmen? To clean the floor? To clean anything? We really need to talk, girl! :)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/02 at 12:21 (081594)

Didn't they make a movie about that? Cinderella?

(grin)

I think that the Sorceror's Apprentice in Fantasia had the best method for cleaning the floors.

Carole C

Carmen on 4/29/02 at 16:12 (081606)

Yes ma'am...and you can feel confident when staying at my house that you will not be sleeping in dirty sheets, using a nasty bathroom and your towels will be clean and your dinner was made in a clean kitchen. :-)
I have had too many friends inthe past(and they are adults) that have nasty homes...I don't feel comfortable staying in them...I mean hair all over the place, soap scummy showers etc...ick.
In fact I used to clean house fortwo of them...and only THEN would I pet sit for them. :-)
Call me crazy but I am not comfy unless I am lounging in a clean home.

john h on 4/30/02 at 09:26 (081754)

All you girls complaining about cleaning the floors. In my home I do them and all ways have. I have not resorted to the on the hands and knees method except for very bad spots. I use Armstrong stripper and Armstrong no wax cleaner on tile floors in the kitchen,breakfast room, and laundry room. I must have started my married life in the wrong way because I have always done the floors and no I do not look sexually atractive when I do them as I am usuall saying #$%^&^^%$#! If i were to come home and find Mary doing the floors on her hands and knees I would go into immediate cardiac arrest.

Julie on 4/30/02 at 09:45 (081757)

Hi John

Another strong man who does the floors! My husband will be pleased to hear he has company.

Happy scrubbing and all the best

Julie