Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching at bedtime

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 06:38 (081291)

Throughout the course of my PF/tendonitis, I've done gentle stretching before getting out of bed in the morning and also during the day after I had been sitting for a while, because I was told to do my stretches at these times.

Something I have found is also quite helpful for me is to add gentle stretching in bed to my regimen, and to do this gentle stretching in bed just before I go to sleep. Then as always I do it again in the morning, before I get out of bed. Bedtime stretching in particular seems to relax my feet and legs more during the night than they would otherwise be relaxed. Of course, if your legs are painfully tight at bedtime relaxed legs can help you to be able to sleep, but even if my legs are not that tight I find that gentle stretching at bedtime (in addition to stretching when I wake up and at other times) seems to help me in the morning and in my recovery.

Since this is a little counter-intuitive, because we are just sleeping between the bedtime stretching and the good morning stretching, I thought I'd mention it. If you aren't doing bedtime stretching, and if you aren't using a night splint or other device at night, I suggest that you try bedtime stretching for a few days and see if this helps you too.

Carole C

Re: Stretching at bedtime

Micki Q on 5/01/02 at 11:53 (081973)

Hi Carol, Thanks for the hints on stretching. I do the morning ones before I get out of bed but I have found an easy way to massage my arches and feet. I use the old fashion rolling pin. It work great and seems to help more than ice fruit cans, vegetables and frozen water bottles. Just thought I'd share this info. I have had PF for about 3 years now and it seems to be getting better since I have faithfully rolled and exercised.

Micki

Carole C in NOLA on 5/01/02 at 21:32 (082072)

That does sound like a pleasant way to massage one's feet! I love to massage my feet with scented lotion after I do my stretches. It may sound silly but I think that pampering my feet and 'sending a message' to my feet that they are special and worth pampering, rather than hating my feet, helped my recovery. Or, maybe it was just the relaxing effects of the massage.

That rolling pin gives me lots of ideas. You could make a velvet cover for it and probably it would still work. Wouldn't that feel neat? I will have to try a rolling pin. :)

Carole C

john h on 5/02/02 at 11:18 (082127)

Speaking of lotions for the feet has anyone noticed that the Ibuprofen from Germany comes in both a Gel and a Creme. The last tube I purchased was a clear Gel and the current tube is a white creme.

Micki Q on 5/02/02 at 23:24 (082240)

Wow I love the idea of a velvet cover. I also use aloe vera gel and take vitamins. I don't know what is the answer but my feet/arches are doing much better. I think it is the stretching and rolling pin.

Let me know if you get any other info.

Thanks
Micki/California

Micki Q on 5/01/02 at 11:53 (081973)

Hi Carol, Thanks for the hints on stretching. I do the morning ones before I get out of bed but I have found an easy way to massage my arches and feet. I use the old fashion rolling pin. It work great and seems to help more than ice fruit cans, vegetables and frozen water bottles. Just thought I'd share this info. I have had PF for about 3 years now and it seems to be getting better since I have faithfully rolled and exercised.

Micki

Carole C in NOLA on 5/01/02 at 21:32 (082072)

That does sound like a pleasant way to massage one's feet! I love to massage my feet with scented lotion after I do my stretches. It may sound silly but I think that pampering my feet and 'sending a message' to my feet that they are special and worth pampering, rather than hating my feet, helped my recovery. Or, maybe it was just the relaxing effects of the massage.

That rolling pin gives me lots of ideas. You could make a velvet cover for it and probably it would still work. Wouldn't that feel neat? I will have to try a rolling pin. :)

Carole C

john h on 5/02/02 at 11:18 (082127)

Speaking of lotions for the feet has anyone noticed that the Ibuprofen from Germany comes in both a Gel and a Creme. The last tube I purchased was a clear Gel and the current tube is a white creme.

Micki Q on 5/02/02 at 23:24 (082240)

Wow I love the idea of a velvet cover. I also use aloe vera gel and take vitamins. I don't know what is the answer but my feet/arches are doing much better. I think it is the stretching and rolling pin.

Let me know if you get any other info.

Thanks
Micki/California