Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mild Foot Pain

Posted by Marc Solby on 4/27/02 at 08:34 (081297)

37 yr old male. I was running 6KM twice a week. I have developed mild foot 'pain' - more discomfort (2/10) or stiffness. Its very hard to link to any activity or shoes - diminished by my stopping running but not gone.

Discomfort is at ball of foot, middle of arch and middle of heel.

I guess I should see GP and then Podiatrist??

Have tried standing/rolling on a golf ball to loosen muscles - that hurts but sort of works.

The whole thing just sort of PERSISTS at a low level.

I guess my question is - should I see a doctor or go for orthodics?
I would like to get back to running regularly

Marc

Re: Mild Foot Pain

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 09:09 (081302)

I am not a doctor, but until one comments I have some comments and suggestions. I am glad but surprised to hear that your foot pain is so mild. Probably the best thing to do is to get it diagnosed by a doctor, first, to make certain of what you are dealing with.

Between now and your doctor appointment, it might help to try icing your feet to see if that would get rid of the pain. Also, gentle stretching while seated helps. Reading the heel pain book on this website is an excellent idea.

Good luck and I hope your pain does not last much longer.

Carole C

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/27/02 at 14:50 (081354)

Hey Marc:

It sounds like either a plantar fasciitis of the medial band or a possible partial tear of the tibialis posterior tendon. I would see a podiatrist and will most liekly send you for an MRI.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carmen on 4/28/02 at 18:22 (081497)

Just curious Dr. C...I have never gotten an MRI on my feet and have been dx's since last June. Should I request one and if so what will it show? I have heard it's not great for dxing PF....

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/29/02 at 05:49 (081552)

Carmen:
The test is only as good as the radiologis who is reading it. We basically do Diagnostic ultrasound almost every day of the week. The test is fast and accurate. The cost is 1/10 that of an MRI.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carmen on 4/29/02 at 17:50 (081633)

Would you recommend a diagnostic ultra sound for confirming PF for me?

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 09:09 (081302)

I am not a doctor, but until one comments I have some comments and suggestions. I am glad but surprised to hear that your foot pain is so mild. Probably the best thing to do is to get it diagnosed by a doctor, first, to make certain of what you are dealing with.

Between now and your doctor appointment, it might help to try icing your feet to see if that would get rid of the pain. Also, gentle stretching while seated helps. Reading the heel pain book on this website is an excellent idea.

Good luck and I hope your pain does not last much longer.

Carole C

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/27/02 at 14:50 (081354)

Hey Marc:

It sounds like either a plantar fasciitis of the medial band or a possible partial tear of the tibialis posterior tendon. I would see a podiatrist and will most liekly send you for an MRI.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carmen on 4/28/02 at 18:22 (081497)

Just curious Dr. C...I have never gotten an MRI on my feet and have been dx's since last June. Should I request one and if so what will it show? I have heard it's not great for dxing PF....

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/29/02 at 05:49 (081552)

Carmen:
The test is only as good as the radiologis who is reading it. We basically do Diagnostic ultrasound almost every day of the week. The test is fast and accurate. The cost is 1/10 that of an MRI.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carmen on 4/29/02 at 17:50 (081633)

Would you recommend a diagnostic ultra sound for confirming PF for me?