Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How I Mended To Run Again

Posted by Jerry F. on 4/27/02 at 13:27 (081336)

I think I got Plantar Fasciitis from running up a long set of stairs in a pair of very expensive tassled loafers to catch a train. I made the train, and spent the next 6 months (at least) in total agony. I got two cortisone injections and can still feel the phantom pains. I would have gotten more injections had I not read the bad experiences people had written about on this website. (Blow off the injections!!) Instead alternate with Aleve and Advil--and settle on whichever one works better. I pulled out of the NY Marathon and concentrated on getting better. Here's what worked for me: 1) Orthotics. 2) Trigger point therapy. Read Bonnie Prudden's book called 'Myotherapy', the section on heel spurs and work the trigger points for relief. Do this therapy only after your pain has subsided somewhat. 3) Massage nightly--I used Origins Ginger Cream. Great stuff, but a bit spendy. 4) Wear tennis shoes--I wore Prince QT with a built in heel cup. Fantastic! They look great with an Armani suit. 5) Never go barefoot. You can slip your orthotics right into those Anywears garden shoes and work out in the yard.
6) Exercise freaks: Buy yourself a very expensive road bike (if you don't already have one) and get a quiet trainer you can drop it on. Go to any good bike store. You can ride and go through the low gears and watch TV or listen to music. You'll actually think you're riding! Stay in low gears, obviously. Orthotics actually fit inside cycling shoes! 7) Wait as long as possible to run or do anything strenuous. I tried running too early and paid for it dearly. Start with 100 yard runs and then add some each day. It has been 9 months. In a few weeks, I'm doing a 5-mile run. Just did 4.4 miles today and my foot feels great. (Very important to note: I still get phantom pains, and I'm sure it's from those damn injections!) 8) Never again wear loafers unless they're stuffed with orthotics. NY Marathon is 6 months away. Maybe I'll make it. It's been a long winter! Good luck, gang!

Re: How I Mended To Run Again

Ellen J. on 4/27/02 at 13:43 (081341)

Hi Jerry,
I'm so glad you are better! I agree with the idea of using the road bike indoors and putting it on a trainer. I made the mistake of taking my road bike out and the few hills that I encountered were detrimental to my feet. The nice thing about cycling indoors is that we can keep the bike at a low level of resistance until the feet are ready for higher gears. Also, great for rainy day workouts, of course. The Phantom pains you described were of interest, because I have been wondering how to tell the difference between phantom pains and pain that is due to incomplete healing. If you are still reading notes on this message board I would be interested to know what a phantom pain feels like as opposed to the real thing.
Thanks for the idea about riding indoors and I hope you are able to run a marathon (or at least continue to run forever now).
Ellen J.

Re: Thx jerry!

Mahatmelissama on 4/27/02 at 21:11 (081396)

I am doing all this...even going to start excersizing soon on my mom's bike and then go to the health club and use their bikes

Re: I forgot to say..

Mahatmelissama on 4/27/02 at 21:13 (081397)

I use this ointment from New Zealand (search under my name and you will even find me posting about it) that I really like. It has ibprufen in it and menthol...mix it with lotion and it feels really nice. I use it without lotion during the day. I also take Aleve, 2 pills in the morning and one at night. I take MSM also.

Stan_P on 4/28/02 at 18:31 (081499)

Jerry,
Good luck in NY. I'm also recovering. Agree with the advice about orthotics and indoor cycing. What is the purpose of the onion-ginger cream, and where did you find it, (type of store, health, etc). Thanks.

Sandy on 4/28/02 at 20:29 (081522)

Hi, is there anywhere online you can buy the training gear so you can use a racing bike indoors? What is the best one to get? I'd advise against running marathons as I really regret doing a 20K run at the start of PF (didn't know how bad it was) when I could have stuck to shorter distances and extended my running days (I may get back to running again -- you never know). Why don't you do triathlons instead?

Ellen J. on 4/30/02 at 20:48 (081877)

Hi Sandy,
I asked my boyfriend to look for some bicycle trainers on the internet and although I have not yet done a search myself, I asked him what search words he used and they were, 'bicycle trainer'. He has them all bookmarked and will forward them to my computer soon. If you want me to post any links when I receive them I would be happy to do so if you don't want to do a search. I don't know which ones are the best but the prices range from under 100.00 up into the thousands, apparently. If anyone out there can recommend one I would be interested to hear their opinion. I myself want a simple one because I'm not into all those computerized gadgets that the very expensive ones have.
Let me know if you need me to post whatever links I find.
Ellen J.

Re: cycle ops wind trainer

Sandy H. on 4/30/02 at 21:21 (081886)

I'm going to buy a 'cycle ops wind trainer' next week which costs about $150 from the bike shop and will let you know how it works. I took my bike out and kept it in low gears from this advice but I live in v. hilly part of Hong Kong so its quite limited.

Re: Response to Ellen/How I Mended To Run Again

Jerry F. on 5/01/02 at 04:49 (081909)

Hi Ellen:

I call them 'phantom pains' because they don't seem to affect my performance when exercising. They are sharp, piercing pains in the middle
to outer edge of the foot arch and are reminiscent of the pain I felt when receiving cortisone injections. In fact, I think it could be tissue trauma memory? What do you think? Thanks for commenting.

Re: Response to Stan/How I Mended To Run Again

Jerry F. on 5/01/02 at 04:55 (081910)

Hi Stan=

I just use that Ginger Cream from Origins. I don't know what good it's doing, but it's soothing and has a great fragrance.

Re: Response to Sandy/How I Mended To Run Again

Jerry F. on 5/01/02 at 05:02 (081911)

Hi Sandy. Yeah. I may take your advice. I have 30 days to decide. I'm doing almost 40 miles a week now with no problem. I bought my trainer at a cycling shop in NJ. It's called a Cycle ops and you use a grooved star-shaped block for the front wheel. The rear is mounted on a small roller. It's relatively quiet and I think costs around $175-$200.

Sandy on 5/03/02 at 01:30 (082253)

Thanks. I'm very glad to hear that you got running again as I would love to be able to do the 10K at the end of an olympic triathlon. Looking back on my running days I don't particularly think adding that extra few hours to do a Marathon added a tremendous amount to my enjoyment and it certainly took a massive whack out of my overall fitness in the end. My plan is the enter an olympic triathlon distance in Oct and pull out for the run and do a couple of those and then just see how it goes with the running. Did the running strengthen your muscles and actually help up to a point? At what point did you start running again?

john h on 5/03/02 at 11:39 (082307)

We have a village in Arkansas named Toad Suck! This weekend as ever year we have what is called Toad Suck Daze (for Days). There will be parades, A 5K and 10K Toad Suck run. The ever popular bike event 'The Tour de le Toad'. The most important event is the Toad races where there will probably be hundreds of real Toads that will race about 30 feet on the Toad Track. People really train the Toads as there are big prizes. Thousands of people will descend on this village. I ran the 10K for many years before PF and is the only race I ever won a trophy in which I was 2nd place in the 10K in my age group. My trophy of course is a big Toad standing on a pedistal.

john h on 5/03/02 at 11:52 (082309)

We have a village in Arkansas named Toad Suck! This weekend as ever year we have what is called Toad Suck Daze (for Days). There will be parades, A 5K and 10K Toad Suck run. The ever popular bike event 'The Tour de le Toad'. The most important event is the Toad races where there will probably be hundreds of real Toads that will race about 30 feet on the Toad Track. People really train the Toads as there are big prizes. Thousands of people will descend on this village. I ran the 10K for many years before PF and is the only race I ever won a trophy in which I was 2nd place in the 10K in my age group. My trophy of course is a big Toad standing on a pedistal.

Re: phantom pains in foot

Ellen J. on 5/05/02 at 12:15 (082504)

Hi Jerry,
I wonder if the pains could be from nerves that were slightly injured. Sometimes they take awhile to heal but don't seem to affect performance too much. I had that happen when a nurse gave me a Rabies vaccine in my arm and put the needle in the wrong area, damaging a nerve. It took 7 months (I counted) for it to go away. I was still able to lift weights with the damage but I sure wasn't happy with the nurse's performance.
Ellen

Ellen J. on 4/27/02 at 13:43 (081341)

Hi Jerry,
I'm so glad you are better! I agree with the idea of using the road bike indoors and putting it on a trainer. I made the mistake of taking my road bike out and the few hills that I encountered were detrimental to my feet. The nice thing about cycling indoors is that we can keep the bike at a low level of resistance until the feet are ready for higher gears. Also, great for rainy day workouts, of course. The Phantom pains you described were of interest, because I have been wondering how to tell the difference between phantom pains and pain that is due to incomplete healing. If you are still reading notes on this message board I would be interested to know what a phantom pain feels like as opposed to the real thing.
Thanks for the idea about riding indoors and I hope you are able to run a marathon (or at least continue to run forever now).
Ellen J.

Re: Thx jerry!

Mahatmelissama on 4/27/02 at 21:11 (081396)

I am doing all this...even going to start excersizing soon on my mom's bike and then go to the health club and use their bikes

Re: I forgot to say..

Mahatmelissama on 4/27/02 at 21:13 (081397)

I use this ointment from New Zealand (search under my name and you will even find me posting about it) that I really like. It has ibprufen in it and menthol...mix it with lotion and it feels really nice. I use it without lotion during the day. I also take Aleve, 2 pills in the morning and one at night. I take MSM also.

Stan_P on 4/28/02 at 18:31 (081499)

Jerry,
Good luck in NY. I'm also recovering. Agree with the advice about orthotics and indoor cycing. What is the purpose of the onion-ginger cream, and where did you find it, (type of store, health, etc). Thanks.

Sandy on 4/28/02 at 20:29 (081522)

Hi, is there anywhere online you can buy the training gear so you can use a racing bike indoors? What is the best one to get? I'd advise against running marathons as I really regret doing a 20K run at the start of PF (didn't know how bad it was) when I could have stuck to shorter distances and extended my running days (I may get back to running again -- you never know). Why don't you do triathlons instead?

Ellen J. on 4/30/02 at 20:48 (081877)

Hi Sandy,
I asked my boyfriend to look for some bicycle trainers on the internet and although I have not yet done a search myself, I asked him what search words he used and they were, 'bicycle trainer'. He has them all bookmarked and will forward them to my computer soon. If you want me to post any links when I receive them I would be happy to do so if you don't want to do a search. I don't know which ones are the best but the prices range from under 100.00 up into the thousands, apparently. If anyone out there can recommend one I would be interested to hear their opinion. I myself want a simple one because I'm not into all those computerized gadgets that the very expensive ones have.
Let me know if you need me to post whatever links I find.
Ellen J.

Re: cycle ops wind trainer

Sandy H. on 4/30/02 at 21:21 (081886)

I'm going to buy a 'cycle ops wind trainer' next week which costs about $150 from the bike shop and will let you know how it works. I took my bike out and kept it in low gears from this advice but I live in v. hilly part of Hong Kong so its quite limited.

Re: Response to Ellen/How I Mended To Run Again

Jerry F. on 5/01/02 at 04:49 (081909)

Hi Ellen:

I call them 'phantom pains' because they don't seem to affect my performance when exercising. They are sharp, piercing pains in the middle
to outer edge of the foot arch and are reminiscent of the pain I felt when receiving cortisone injections. In fact, I think it could be tissue trauma memory? What do you think? Thanks for commenting.

Re: Response to Stan/How I Mended To Run Again

Jerry F. on 5/01/02 at 04:55 (081910)

Hi Stan=

I just use that Ginger Cream from Origins. I don't know what good it's doing, but it's soothing and has a great fragrance.

Jerry F. on 5/01/02 at 05:02 (081911)

Hi Sandy. Yeah. I may take your advice. I have 30 days to decide. I'm doing almost 40 miles a week now with no problem. I bought my trainer at a cycling shop in NJ. It's called a Cycle ops and you use a grooved star-shaped block for the front wheel. The rear is mounted on a small roller. It's relatively quiet and I think costs around $175-$200.

Sandy on 5/03/02 at 01:30 (082253)

Thanks. I'm very glad to hear that you got running again as I would love to be able to do the 10K at the end of an olympic triathlon. Looking back on my running days I don't particularly think adding that extra few hours to do a Marathon added a tremendous amount to my enjoyment and it certainly took a massive whack out of my overall fitness in the end. My plan is the enter an olympic triathlon distance in Oct and pull out for the run and do a couple of those and then just see how it goes with the running. Did the running strengthen your muscles and actually help up to a point? At what point did you start running again?

john h on 5/03/02 at 11:39 (082307)

john h on 5/03/02 at 11:52 (082309)

Re: phantom pains in foot

Ellen J. on 5/05/02 at 12:15 (082504)

Hi Jerry,
I wonder if the pains could be from nerves that were slightly injured. Sometimes they take awhile to heal but don't seem to affect performance too much. I had that happen when a nurse gave me a Rabies vaccine in my arm and put the needle in the wrong area, damaging a nerve. It took 7 months (I counted) for it to go away. I was still able to lift weights with the damage but I sure wasn't happy with the nurse's performance.
Ellen