Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks at Sam's Club

Posted by Nancy N on 4/27/02 at 20:14 (081376)

Someone--I think it might have been Tammie?--posted elsewhere about the Birks for sale at Sam's Club. I stopped over to the local store today and picked up a new pair for myself. They're $40, just like they were last year. The box and the shoes say Betula, but they appear to be identical to Arizonas and their close relatives (they had the 2-strap, backstrap, and 3-strap styles). I showed them to my pedorthist last year and he agreed that they seem to be Arizona clones (if not simply mislabeled Arizonas).

At any rate, because they are significantly less expensive than Birks normally would be, I thought it might be useful to some folks here. If nothing else, it might be a cheap way to give the shoes a try if you're interested. And I was told last year, when I bought mine, that if I wore them in the house with socks, I could try them out and bring them back if I didn't like them. I presume their policy is still the same.

For whatever it's worth!

Re: Birks at Sam's Club

Carmen on 4/27/02 at 20:43 (081381)

Where ya been Nancy? I posted that months ago!!!
just kidding! But I did buy some for Toby a couple weeks ago and posted b/c I thought it was a STEAL! He loves them...Unfortunately I can't wear them. :-(

Nancy N on 4/27/02 at 20:47 (081384)

Sorry, I hadn't seen the other post--only Tammie's more recent one. I'd love to know what the deal is with these Birks and Sam's. Last year, it was like they got one shipment and when they were gone, that was it. So I ws surprised to hear that they had them again this year. Think it's a seasonal thing??

Anyway, sorry if I duplicated a previous post. I don't have time to read everything these days and usually just glance at the Social and treatments boards....

Why can't you wear them? Or did I miss that post, too? ;)

Carmen on 4/27/02 at 20:49 (081386)

Hee..hee...i am laughing. I am normally the one to just dup dup dup.....the posts...b/c i am on the run so much but lately have had time. So I was glad to have your company.
I just can't wear them for some reason...they kill my feet.
:-(
I have been an avid Birk wearer for 10 years and now...no can do.

Suzanne D on 4/27/02 at 21:11 (081395)

Hi, Nancy and Carmen!

When the Betulas were brought up in an earlier post, I noticed about that time that the store where I buy my SAS shoes also had them. The salesperson said they were the most economical line of Birkenstocks.

I checked on the Birkenstock Express web site, and this is what they said about them:

'Betula is the brand name of a collection of styles from Birkenstock that are now being marketed as a second tier brand in the United States.

Products from Betula that have been available through established Birkenstock retail channels like Footwise--the Birkenstock Store and Birkenstock Express are being phased out.'

Like Carmen, Birk sandals just don't feel good to me anymore :-(, but the Birk inserts seem to be just right for my feet - right now, anyway! I thought I had found 'the shoe' with the Birks last August, and the arch support DID really help me for months. But now, they just hurt my feet, and I don't wear them - other than slipping them on first thing in the morning or getting up to go to the bathroom.

I have found, though, that by taking out the removable insole in the Birk Anapolis (Mary Jane style which I ordered last fall) and putting in first an over-the-counter insole to take up room and then the SAS removable insole with the Birk blue inserts on top of that, that those shoes work for me. It's like trying to put a puzzle together!

Well, I guess this post really belongs on the inserts/shoes board since I have gone on and on about shoes, but I thought I would let you know what I read about the Betulas.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend! I went to the funeral home last night. Another good friend died, 7 months after being diagnosed with a brain tumor. It is good to always be able to come here and hear from friends!

Suzanne :-)

Nancy N on 4/27/02 at 21:25 (081401)

Suzanne--

So sorry to hear about your friend. :( I hope things improve soon.

My understanding was that the Betulas were a more fashion/trendy line, and that the footbed was different than the regular Birks. I looked at the Betulas online last year and saw nothing that looked like the shoes at Sam's--nothing that looks like Arizonas. That's why my pedorthist thought perhaps they were mis-marked Arizonas, or some other sort of goof. I admit I'm completely baffled by them.

One question for you, about the Annapolis--do you think a regular full-length orthotic would work with them? I really do need to find some sort of decent dress shoe that I can wear with my orthotics, and those shoes look like a style I could live with. But I'm not sure how orthotics fit into the Birk-shaped shoes. Any guesses?

Thanks!

Re: for Nancy...

Suzanne D on 4/27/02 at 21:37 (081406)

Thanks, Nancy...

You know, I think a full-length orthotic just might fit in them! They have a really roomy toe box. Of course I don't know, but it would be worth a try! The straps fasten with velcro, so that also allows for a range in fit. Also, the footbed is removable, as I said earlier.

Mine are 43 narrow (I ordered from Germany as I could only find a 42 here.) Even though they are narrow, they still have a lot of room in them, enough that with the footbed that came in them, they were the right length on me, but too big. I had to put another insole under the one that came in them.

I wore them to the funeral home yesterday and a wedding today. It gives me another option besides the SAS walking shoes!

I hope they work for you! Good luck, Nancy.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 21:48 (081407)

Suzanne,

How sad that your friend died, and so soon after being diagnosed. This has been a difficult few months for you.

I'm glad that your feet are at least cooperating more or less. That's great that you can wear your Annapolis sometimes. Three insoles is a pretty complicated system, but hey, whatever works! I have thought briefly about getting Superfeet to put in my NB, but I don't think I need them. So, I'm not wearing any orthotics or inserts or insoles except whatever comes in my shoes.

I haven't been wearing my Birks out of the house lately either, but they still work for me in the evenings when I'm sitting around the house. If I wear tie-up shoes all day, like my NB, they are great but I can't wear them in the evening too.

Well, you know I can't resist a thread about Birkenstock. LOL

I've been doing a whole lot more walking than before (just daily life stuff) in my NB and SAS tie-ups, and so my knees have begun hurting again and have become hot and swelled due to all this and I've been getting cramps in my hip too if I've walked a lot. My PF feel a lot better than my knees and hip, at present. You just can't win! :)

BUT... I've never iced my knees, or done anything for them. I think I will try it. It couldn't hurt. If ice helps swollen, hot, sore PF, it might help swollen, hot, sore knees.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 4/28/02 at 13:19 (081469)

Thanks, Carole. You do such a great job of posting and responding to everyone's needs! You mean a lot to many here! We appreciate you and applaud your success.

I'm sorry your knees are botering you more now. Maybe icing them would help, as you said. Since they felt better during the time you wore the orthotics, do you think it would lessen your pain in your knees if you wore them just around the house when you are working at home? Of course it could have just been that you weren't on your feet as much, and that's why your knees didn't hurt then. I don't mean to be presumptious to think I would know what would help! It was just a thought.

I hope you are enjoying your sparkling clean apartment today! I read about all that you did, and I know you feel really good about that today!

You take care, and keep improving! It gives us all hope!

Tammie on 4/28/02 at 16:41 (081489)

Yes we did have a conversation about those betulas, at sams! I bought two pairs and I wear the ones with the 3 straps but I am having trouble with them as I walk on my toes and it is hard to do in sandles lol! My sister likes them tho. I might someday like them tho if I can get rid of the pain first tho! Working on it! But what a buy I was thrilled.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/28/02 at 17:03 (081492)

You've got a point about wearing my orthotics, and I may try doing that after a while because it sounds like a good idea. I want to wait a little longer and see if my knees might get better; maybe they just need some time to adjust. If my orthotics help my painful knees get better, that would sure be an argument in favor of my getting ice scrapers made.

I'm definitely enjoying my cleaner apartment! Also, I spent most of today putting together three pieces of furniture that I dragged home from Wal-Mart yesterday. That was fun too, and now I have my dresser and a couple of new night stands to arrange and put things in.

Carole C

John h on 4/28/02 at 19:30 (081507)

I was examining the Betulas at Sams today ($39.95). The only thing that seems different to me from the Airizona's is I do not think the sole on the Betula is as stiff? This was just an impression.

Nancy N on 4/28/02 at 20:49 (081527)

John--

Didn't you buy a pair last year when Sam's had them? I can't comapre the soles to the Arizonas since I haven't ever owned those. I really like the pair I got last year, but the straps were irritating the tops of my feet (I can still have some tenderness there), so I wanted to get a pair with the backstrap this time, in the hope that it might alleviate some of the pressure. We'll see. If I have to go strictly with my sneakers for the summer, I will, but I sure would rather let my toes feel the warm summer air!

Carmen on 4/27/02 at 20:43 (081381)

Where ya been Nancy? I posted that months ago!!!
just kidding! But I did buy some for Toby a couple weeks ago and posted b/c I thought it was a STEAL! He loves them...Unfortunately I can't wear them. :-(

Nancy N on 4/27/02 at 20:47 (081384)

Sorry, I hadn't seen the other post--only Tammie's more recent one. I'd love to know what the deal is with these Birks and Sam's. Last year, it was like they got one shipment and when they were gone, that was it. So I ws surprised to hear that they had them again this year. Think it's a seasonal thing??

Anyway, sorry if I duplicated a previous post. I don't have time to read everything these days and usually just glance at the Social and treatments boards....

Why can't you wear them? Or did I miss that post, too? ;)

Carmen on 4/27/02 at 20:49 (081386)

Hee..hee...i am laughing. I am normally the one to just dup dup dup.....the posts...b/c i am on the run so much but lately have had time. So I was glad to have your company.
I just can't wear them for some reason...they kill my feet.
I have been an avid Birk wearer for 10 years and now...no can do.

Suzanne D on 4/27/02 at 21:11 (081395)

Hi, Nancy and Carmen!

When the Betulas were brought up in an earlier post, I noticed about that time that the store where I buy my SAS shoes also had them. The salesperson said they were the most economical line of Birkenstocks.

I checked on the Birkenstock Express web site, and this is what they said about them:

'Betula is the brand name of a collection of styles from Birkenstock that are now being marketed as a second tier brand in the United States.

Products from Betula that have been available through established Birkenstock retail channels like Footwise--the Birkenstock Store and Birkenstock Express are being phased out.'

Like Carmen, Birk sandals just don't feel good to me anymore :-(, but the Birk inserts seem to be just right for my feet - right now, anyway! I thought I had found 'the shoe' with the Birks last August, and the arch support DID really help me for months. But now, they just hurt my feet, and I don't wear them - other than slipping them on first thing in the morning or getting up to go to the bathroom.

I have found, though, that by taking out the removable insole in the Birk Anapolis (Mary Jane style which I ordered last fall) and putting in first an over-the-counter insole to take up room and then the SAS removable insole with the Birk blue inserts on top of that, that those shoes work for me. It's like trying to put a puzzle together!

Well, I guess this post really belongs on the inserts/shoes board since I have gone on and on about shoes, but I thought I would let you know what I read about the Betulas.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend! I went to the funeral home last night. Another good friend died, 7 months after being diagnosed with a brain tumor. It is good to always be able to come here and hear from friends!

Nancy N on 4/27/02 at 21:25 (081401)

Suzanne--

So sorry to hear about your friend. :( I hope things improve soon.

My understanding was that the Betulas were a more fashion/trendy line, and that the footbed was different than the regular Birks. I looked at the Betulas online last year and saw nothing that looked like the shoes at Sam's--nothing that looks like Arizonas. That's why my pedorthist thought perhaps they were mis-marked Arizonas, or some other sort of goof. I admit I'm completely baffled by them.

One question for you, about the Annapolis--do you think a regular full-length orthotic would work with them? I really do need to find some sort of decent dress shoe that I can wear with my orthotics, and those shoes look like a style I could live with. But I'm not sure how orthotics fit into the Birk-shaped shoes. Any guesses?

Thanks!

Re: for Nancy...

Suzanne D on 4/27/02 at 21:37 (081406)

Thanks, Nancy...

You know, I think a full-length orthotic just might fit in them! They have a really roomy toe box. Of course I don't know, but it would be worth a try! The straps fasten with velcro, so that also allows for a range in fit. Also, the footbed is removable, as I said earlier.

Mine are 43 narrow (I ordered from Germany as I could only find a 42 here.) Even though they are narrow, they still have a lot of room in them, enough that with the footbed that came in them, they were the right length on me, but too big. I had to put another insole under the one that came in them.

I wore them to the funeral home yesterday and a wedding today. It gives me another option besides the SAS walking shoes!

I hope they work for you! Good luck, Nancy.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/27/02 at 21:48 (081407)

Suzanne,

How sad that your friend died, and so soon after being diagnosed. This has been a difficult few months for you.

I'm glad that your feet are at least cooperating more or less. That's great that you can wear your Annapolis sometimes. Three insoles is a pretty complicated system, but hey, whatever works! I have thought briefly about getting Superfeet to put in my NB, but I don't think I need them. So, I'm not wearing any orthotics or inserts or insoles except whatever comes in my shoes.

I haven't been wearing my Birks out of the house lately either, but they still work for me in the evenings when I'm sitting around the house. If I wear tie-up shoes all day, like my NB, they are great but I can't wear them in the evening too.

Well, you know I can't resist a thread about Birkenstock. LOL

I've been doing a whole lot more walking than before (just daily life stuff) in my NB and SAS tie-ups, and so my knees have begun hurting again and have become hot and swelled due to all this and I've been getting cramps in my hip too if I've walked a lot. My PF feel a lot better than my knees and hip, at present. You just can't win! :)

BUT... I've never iced my knees, or done anything for them. I think I will try it. It couldn't hurt. If ice helps swollen, hot, sore PF, it might help swollen, hot, sore knees.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 4/28/02 at 13:19 (081469)

Thanks, Carole. You do such a great job of posting and responding to everyone's needs! You mean a lot to many here! We appreciate you and applaud your success.

I'm sorry your knees are botering you more now. Maybe icing them would help, as you said. Since they felt better during the time you wore the orthotics, do you think it would lessen your pain in your knees if you wore them just around the house when you are working at home? Of course it could have just been that you weren't on your feet as much, and that's why your knees didn't hurt then. I don't mean to be presumptious to think I would know what would help! It was just a thought.

I hope you are enjoying your sparkling clean apartment today! I read about all that you did, and I know you feel really good about that today!

You take care, and keep improving! It gives us all hope!

Tammie on 4/28/02 at 16:41 (081489)

Yes we did have a conversation about those betulas, at sams! I bought two pairs and I wear the ones with the 3 straps but I am having trouble with them as I walk on my toes and it is hard to do in sandles lol! My sister likes them tho. I might someday like them tho if I can get rid of the pain first tho! Working on it! But what a buy I was thrilled.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/28/02 at 17:03 (081492)

You've got a point about wearing my orthotics, and I may try doing that after a while because it sounds like a good idea. I want to wait a little longer and see if my knees might get better; maybe they just need some time to adjust. If my orthotics help my painful knees get better, that would sure be an argument in favor of my getting ice scrapers made.

I'm definitely enjoying my cleaner apartment! Also, I spent most of today putting together three pieces of furniture that I dragged home from Wal-Mart yesterday. That was fun too, and now I have my dresser and a couple of new night stands to arrange and put things in.

Carole C

John h on 4/28/02 at 19:30 (081507)

I was examining the Betulas at Sams today ($39.95). The only thing that seems different to me from the Airizona's is I do not think the sole on the Betula is as stiff? This was just an impression.

Nancy N on 4/28/02 at 20:49 (081527)

John--

Didn't you buy a pair last year when Sam's had them? I can't comapre the soles to the Arizonas since I haven't ever owned those. I really like the pair I got last year, but the straps were irritating the tops of my feet (I can still have some tenderness there), so I wanted to get a pair with the backstrap this time, in the hope that it might alleviate some of the pressure. We'll see. If I have to go strictly with my sneakers for the summer, I will, but I sure would rather let my toes feel the warm summer air!