Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain Still

Posted by Elise on 4/27/02 at 21:58 (081410)

I had the my ESWT treatment in October and after about one month, the pain was back, I feel like I never had it done. I am so disappointed. Currently on Darvocet as we have not been able to find an anti-inflamatory that I can take. Vioxx, celebrex, Relafen all cause allergic reactions, ( I turn beet red and itch). I haven't been x-rayed or had any other dianogist(sp) done, I was wonder if this would be advisable, to see what is happening. I have been dealing with this for two years and am about out of hope. I am back to wearing my night splint, and I wear an elastic wrap during the day. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. I had to paid for this procedure and that has added to my frustration. I have read about such good results that I have to say that inspired me to do this. Ossatron was the machine used. Is it possible that the Doctor missed the mark, that he didn't get the spur the first time? Help!!!!

Re: Heel Pain Still

Carole C in NOLA on 4/28/02 at 09:33 (081445)

Elise, I haven't had ESWT and don't know much about it, but I saw your post and want to pass on some things I've read here.

I've read that often several ESWT treatments are required and one treatment isn't always enough.

Also, if you haven't had an MRI, I've read that this is very helpful to your doctor for diagnosis. But just because one ESWT treatment didn't heal you doesn't mean that the diagnosis was wrong.

Carole C

BrianG on 4/28/02 at 14:07 (081474)

Hi Elise,

I am no expert, but I think the OssaTron is normally a one time treatment. Did they give you anesthetic? If so, I would think you got the high power treatment. I've heard that some people do get a second treatment. Why don't you call the clinic where you had the ESWT done. Tell them what has happened, and ask if they think you should have another treatment. If so, I would really try hard to get that treatment without paying a second time. Did insurance pay the 1st time? Good luck

BrianG

SAM A on 4/29/02 at 21:35 (081686)

WHO DID THE ESWT?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/30/02 at 11:22 (081771)

I would go for another treatment or two

margie w on 4/30/02 at 22:22 (081891)

I was in the Ossotron study 3 years ago in Atlanta. The first treatment was 11/98 and the 2nd in 2/99. Probably took a couple of months to realize how well it had worked. In July started walking 4 miles every day (was pretty sedentary all my life). Got addicted and by Christmas had lost 25 lbs. (w/o dieting). Unfortunately since last summer I've gained 10 back and a couple of months ago (somehow) pf showed up in the other foot. Yesterday an orthopedist I went to told me he tells his pf patients walking is not good for exercise. I WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS! I think it keeps the pf stretched which keeps it from becoming inflamed. I simply overdid it and the extra 10 lbs doesn't help. Unfortunately my insurance won't cover Ossotron so I just started on Celebrex. I have bad acid relux and I realize that the Celebrex will probably bring it back but I'll have to deal with that after I get my foot fixed! I'm determined to relieve the inflammation and get back to my walking, lose the extra 10, and prove the doctor wrong! I had almost no pain for 2 1/2 years so I know the Ossotron works. My husband was just in the study for tennis elbow and it worked after the first try for him. Mine was very severe though...I've been struggling with this on and off since 1990! I felt so alone until I realized how common this problem is. SO, don't give up...it might take 2 times so have another treatment if you can and keep your chin up...mine is!

Elise on 4/30/02 at 22:23 (081892)

It was Done by Dr. Okun in Florida. I see that people are advising me to have another treatment but I had to pay the 1st one out of my own pocket and am unable to come up with that amount of money again. I see the doctor again on May 9th. I will let you all know what happens.
Thanks for your imput.

john h on 5/01/02 at 10:40 (081961)

Margie: I have never heard 'walking is not good for exercise'. Very much to the contrary I have always heard it is one of the most beneficial exercises out there. Maybe the doctor implied walking is not good if your PF is in a very painful state.

DR Zuckerman on 5/02/02 at 18:21 (082181)

Hi

Glad that you ESWT treatment resulted in a pain free heel. Walking is great for your heart and lungs but when it comes to your feet. Well it can cause plantar faciitis. Always stretch. Keep your walking miles under four miles. Change your shoes every three months. Stay off of the cement sidewalks.

Randy S. on 5/03/02 at 16:24 (082338)

Hi Elise,

Sorry about your woes, I'm in the same boat and am just starting to obtain info about ESWT and what I've read is not too promising. By coincidense I went to the beach last weekend and bathed in the ocean about three times a day for two days. As if by magic my pain disapeared. Friends claim its the salt water, I don't have a clue.
The pain has since returned but not bad. Give salt baths on your foot a try before bedtime. It should relieve the inflamation.......Best of luck, Randy S.

DR Zuckerman on 5/03/02 at 17:44 (082344)

Hi

I am curious as to why you feel ESWT results are too promising. Be very happy to talk about the results if you wish

DR Zuckerman on 5/03/02 at 18:03 (082345)

It should read are not promising

Carole C in NOLA on 4/28/02 at 09:33 (081445)

Elise, I haven't had ESWT and don't know much about it, but I saw your post and want to pass on some things I've read here.

I've read that often several ESWT treatments are required and one treatment isn't always enough.

Also, if you haven't had an MRI, I've read that this is very helpful to your doctor for diagnosis. But just because one ESWT treatment didn't heal you doesn't mean that the diagnosis was wrong.

Carole C

BrianG on 4/28/02 at 14:07 (081474)

Hi Elise,

I am no expert, but I think the OssaTron is normally a one time treatment. Did they give you anesthetic? If so, I would think you got the high power treatment. I've heard that some people do get a second treatment. Why don't you call the clinic where you had the ESWT done. Tell them what has happened, and ask if they think you should have another treatment. If so, I would really try hard to get that treatment without paying a second time. Did insurance pay the 1st time? Good luck

BrianG

SAM A on 4/29/02 at 21:35 (081686)

WHO DID THE ESWT?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/30/02 at 11:22 (081771)

I would go for another treatment or two

margie w on 4/30/02 at 22:22 (081891)

I was in the Ossotron study 3 years ago in Atlanta. The first treatment was 11/98 and the 2nd in 2/99. Probably took a couple of months to realize how well it had worked. In July started walking 4 miles every day (was pretty sedentary all my life). Got addicted and by Christmas had lost 25 lbs. (w/o dieting). Unfortunately since last summer I've gained 10 back and a couple of months ago (somehow) pf showed up in the other foot. Yesterday an orthopedist I went to told me he tells his pf patients walking is not good for exercise. I WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS! I think it keeps the pf stretched which keeps it from becoming inflamed. I simply overdid it and the extra 10 lbs doesn't help. Unfortunately my insurance won't cover Ossotron so I just started on Celebrex. I have bad acid relux and I realize that the Celebrex will probably bring it back but I'll have to deal with that after I get my foot fixed! I'm determined to relieve the inflammation and get back to my walking, lose the extra 10, and prove the doctor wrong! I had almost no pain for 2 1/2 years so I know the Ossotron works. My husband was just in the study for tennis elbow and it worked after the first try for him. Mine was very severe though...I've been struggling with this on and off since 1990! I felt so alone until I realized how common this problem is. SO, don't give up...it might take 2 times so have another treatment if you can and keep your chin up...mine is!

Elise on 4/30/02 at 22:23 (081892)

It was Done by Dr. Okun in Florida. I see that people are advising me to have another treatment but I had to pay the 1st one out of my own pocket and am unable to come up with that amount of money again. I see the doctor again on May 9th. I will let you all know what happens.
Thanks for your imput.

john h on 5/01/02 at 10:40 (081961)

Margie: I have never heard 'walking is not good for exercise'. Very much to the contrary I have always heard it is one of the most beneficial exercises out there. Maybe the doctor implied walking is not good if your PF is in a very painful state.

DR Zuckerman on 5/02/02 at 18:21 (082181)

Hi

Glad that you ESWT treatment resulted in a pain free heel. Walking is great for your heart and lungs but when it comes to your feet. Well it can cause plantar faciitis. Always stretch. Keep your walking miles under four miles. Change your shoes every three months. Stay off of the cement sidewalks.

Randy S. on 5/03/02 at 16:24 (082338)

Hi Elise,

Sorry about your woes, I'm in the same boat and am just starting to obtain info about ESWT and what I've read is not too promising. By coincidense I went to the beach last weekend and bathed in the ocean about three times a day for two days. As if by magic my pain disapeared. Friends claim its the salt water, I don't have a clue.
The pain has since returned but not bad. Give salt baths on your foot a try before bedtime. It should relieve the inflamation.......Best of luck, Randy S.

DR Zuckerman on 5/03/02 at 17:44 (082344)

Hi

I am curious as to why you feel ESWT results are too promising. Be very happy to talk about the results if you wish

DR Zuckerman on 5/03/02 at 18:03 (082345)

It should read are not promising

BARRY on 5/11/03 at 09:01 (118293)

I am think about having the ESWT done by Dr. Okun in Tampa and wanted to know what your results have been since your last post? Any information you can give me will be very helpful, (email removed)