Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Slow healing?

Posted by Emily B on 4/28/02 at 18:43 (081502)

I had ESWT 1 1/2 weeks ago (4/18) and find the pain in my heel is actually getting worse not better. Is this this normal? I'd love to hear from others who have had this experience -- hopefully with the news that this too will pass.

Emily B

Re: Slow healing?

John h on 4/28/02 at 19:47 (081516)

I have seen a number of post Emily from people who got worse before they got better. Patience!!!!! Take a good look at where you are 12 weeks from now.

AndrewS on 4/28/02 at 23:09 (081545)

I had ESWT about 6 weeks ago. Initially I had pain relief for a few days, then the pain retured full blown. Only in the last few days have a noticed some relief. Less morning pain and less pain overall. I am hopeful the healing process has begun. Dr Z told me it will take 6-12 weeks to seee if the procedure was sucessful. It certainly is unusual for a procedure to take that long to determine if pain relief is forthcoming, but that is apparantly how ESWT works. So I am going to continue hot soaks, followed by ice and hope I can play tennis again by June. Best of luck to you too.

dave on 4/29/02 at 07:27 (081560)

Hang in there. I had eswt on the Dornier 5 weeks ago. My pain level actually went up too. Probably 20%. But now im actually seeing a big improvement. This past weekend i planted 200 trees and worked around the house all weekend. My wife cant believe it. Neither can I. Today I have some stiffness. We will see what happens by Wednesday.

Mary Beth S on 4/29/02 at 11:54 (081588)

I had ESWT 5 weeks ago and I'm noticing more pain than before the procedure! I'm totally bummed out but will wait the 8 weeks before contacting Dr. Z again. MB

Emily B on 4/29/02 at 20:08 (081666)

Thank you all for your comments. I will wait and hope and keep you posted. I would be interested in hearing about your progress, too. Good luck.

Emily B

AndrewS on 5/04/02 at 08:47 (082387)

YOu are not feeling any better MaryBeth ?

John h on 4/28/02 at 19:47 (081516)

I have seen a number of post Emily from people who got worse before they got better. Patience!!!!! Take a good look at where you are 12 weeks from now.

AndrewS on 4/28/02 at 23:09 (081545)

I had ESWT about 6 weeks ago. Initially I had pain relief for a few days, then the pain retured full blown. Only in the last few days have a noticed some relief. Less morning pain and less pain overall. I am hopeful the healing process has begun. Dr Z told me it will take 6-12 weeks to seee if the procedure was sucessful. It certainly is unusual for a procedure to take that long to determine if pain relief is forthcoming, but that is apparantly how ESWT works. So I am going to continue hot soaks, followed by ice and hope I can play tennis again by June. Best of luck to you too.

dave on 4/29/02 at 07:27 (081560)

Hang in there. I had eswt on the Dornier 5 weeks ago. My pain level actually went up too. Probably 20%. But now im actually seeing a big improvement. This past weekend i planted 200 trees and worked around the house all weekend. My wife cant believe it. Neither can I. Today I have some stiffness. We will see what happens by Wednesday.

Mary Beth S on 4/29/02 at 11:54 (081588)

I had ESWT 5 weeks ago and I'm noticing more pain than before the procedure! I'm totally bummed out but will wait the 8 weeks before contacting Dr. Z again. MB

Emily B on 4/29/02 at 20:08 (081666)

Thank you all for your comments. I will wait and hope and keep you posted. I would be interested in hearing about your progress, too. Good luck.

Emily B

AndrewS on 5/04/02 at 08:47 (082387)

YOu are not feeling any better MaryBeth ?