Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

am i sleeping wrong

Posted by Marie P on 4/29/02 at 06:45 (081557)

i have pf in both feet as well as tendonitis in both achilles
yes, lucky, lucky me!!!!!!
i tend to got to sleep on my stomach, therefore i tend to 'point' my feet for some of the night,could this be agravating my morning pain into the nightmare that it has become?
i find that i also tend to continuously bend my feet up and down, could be learned behaviour to alleviate feet, i also do this in bed before i go to sleep.
i hope that i am not aggravating my problem any reply would be appreciated
thank you

Re: am i sleeping wrong

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/02 at 12:08 (081592)

Marie, I'm not a foot doctor but here are my thoughts on this. I too have PF in both feet and bilateral Achilles tendonitis.

You are right; pointing your feet like that is not beneficial to your feet. In fact, a night splint is often helpful for those of us with these conditions. It keeps you from pointing your toes while you sleep.

Although it's not clear exactly how you bend your feet up and down before you go to sleep, I would guess that it is probably helpful, like a gentle stretching or loosening exercise, and should not aggravate anything unless it hurts. In fact, I have personally found that gentle stretching right before falling asleep has been helpful to me (see my recent post in the Treatment/Symptoms/Products section of this message board).

Carole C

Marie P on 4/30/02 at 19:27 (081860)

thank you for your response, yes it is like i am stretching up and down, i do it all the time (subconsciously i think).i find if i keep my feet still my ankles are as stiff as a board when i need to move them,especially if it's sudden. I am turning 37 this year but this condition makes me feel like i am turning 77, do you know what i mean? Sorry to hear you also have bilateral nightmares of your own,most people don't understand what it feels like when both your feet hurt, all of the time, it gets very tiring physically,mentally and emotionally, hope your feet are not too bad

Carole C in NOLA on 4/30/02 at 19:54 (081867)

Thanks, Marie. My feet are nearly healed, luckily. I got PF in September 2001, and then read the heel pain book on this site and the message boards and did everything I could to get better. Rest, custom orthotics, gentle stretching, ice, and so on helped me to heal. Plus never going barefoot.

I hope your feet feel better soon!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/02 at 12:08 (081592)

Marie, I'm not a foot doctor but here are my thoughts on this. I too have PF in both feet and bilateral Achilles tendonitis.

You are right; pointing your feet like that is not beneficial to your feet. In fact, a night splint is often helpful for those of us with these conditions. It keeps you from pointing your toes while you sleep.

Although it's not clear exactly how you bend your feet up and down before you go to sleep, I would guess that it is probably helpful, like a gentle stretching or loosening exercise, and should not aggravate anything unless it hurts. In fact, I have personally found that gentle stretching right before falling asleep has been helpful to me (see my recent post in the Treatment/Symptoms/Products section of this message board).

Carole C

Marie P on 4/30/02 at 19:27 (081860)

thank you for your response, yes it is like i am stretching up and down, i do it all the time (subconsciously i think).i find if i keep my feet still my ankles are as stiff as a board when i need to move them,especially if it's sudden. I am turning 37 this year but this condition makes me feel like i am turning 77, do you know what i mean? Sorry to hear you also have bilateral nightmares of your own,most people don't understand what it feels like when both your feet hurt, all of the time, it gets very tiring physically,mentally and emotionally, hope your feet are not too bad

Carole C in NOLA on 4/30/02 at 19:54 (081867)

Thanks, Marie. My feet are nearly healed, luckily. I got PF in September 2001, and then read the heel pain book on this site and the message boards and did everything I could to get better. Rest, custom orthotics, gentle stretching, ice, and so on helped me to heal. Plus never going barefoot.

I hope your feet feel better soon!

Carole C