Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question to the pronators

Posted by Carmen on 4/29/02 at 18:03 (081636)

What type of sandal has anyone that pronates seen out there? cost is not an issue at this ooint..I just need another option besides Birks (they do not work for me) and tennis shoes.
Danskos a great shoe but I am concernd about the pronation part....
Any advice would be super!

Re: Whew, excellent question, Carmen!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/02 at 19:16 (081652)

Carmen, that's a great question. Until I read your post, it hadn't occurred to me that I haven't noticed any sandals for pronators at all. SAS makes a sandal, but I'd expect it to be quite neutral. I've heard Mephistos are very comfortable but I don't know if a Mephisto sandal would control your pronation enough or not. Birkenstock does carry some sandals with an enclosed, removable footbed, and you could take it out and put your orthotics in. I'm thinking of the Nebraska, but there are others too like the Kansas that might work.

I'll keep this in the back of my mind, and if I come across any, I'll be sure to post about them.

Re: PS

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/02 at 20:00 (081663)

P.S.,

Carmen, if you decide to try putting your orthotic in the enclosed Birkenstock sandals, you should probably try it in the store to see if it will work and if it will fit. I forgot to mention that and I'd feel awful if you bought them for nothing. Even if it works, they might show since it's a sandal. This is *supposed* to work but so are a lot of things. LOL

Carole C

Carmen on 4/30/02 at 07:43 (081730)

GREAT idea Carole! I had not thought of that. I will have to find a placet hat has the removable footbed...possibly Abbadabba's.
THANKS!!!!

lisa k on 5/09/02 at 04:44 (083183)

some birk clogs have totally removable inserts in sole

Re: One word for you...FINN COMFORT (a German company though)

Mahatmelissama on 5/14/02 at 11:29 (083836)

I wear these and I have high arches and tend to walk on the outside of my shoes...I wear these with my own orthodics inside.

Re: Whew, excellent question, Carmen!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/02 at 19:16 (081652)

Carmen, that's a great question. Until I read your post, it hadn't occurred to me that I haven't noticed any sandals for pronators at all. SAS makes a sandal, but I'd expect it to be quite neutral. I've heard Mephistos are very comfortable but I don't know if a Mephisto sandal would control your pronation enough or not. Birkenstock does carry some sandals with an enclosed, removable footbed, and you could take it out and put your orthotics in. I'm thinking of the Nebraska, but there are others too like the Kansas that might work.

I'll keep this in the back of my mind, and if I come across any, I'll be sure to post about them.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/02 at 20:00 (081663)

P.S.,

Carmen, if you decide to try putting your orthotic in the enclosed Birkenstock sandals, you should probably try it in the store to see if it will work and if it will fit. I forgot to mention that and I'd feel awful if you bought them for nothing. Even if it works, they might show since it's a sandal. This is *supposed* to work but so are a lot of things. LOL

Carole C

Carmen on 4/30/02 at 07:43 (081730)

GREAT idea Carole! I had not thought of that. I will have to find a placet hat has the removable footbed...possibly Abbadabba's.
THANKS!!!!

lisa k on 5/09/02 at 04:44 (083183)

some birk clogs have totally removable inserts in sole

Re: One word for you...FINN COMFORT (a German company though)

Mahatmelissama on 5/14/02 at 11:29 (083836)

I wear these and I have high arches and tend to walk on the outside of my shoes...I wear these with my own orthodics inside.